10th Annual SteelBook of the Year 2020 - Nominations

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Hey Ninjas!

We're keeping it simple again this year by putting up one thread for the nominations.

It's been a challenging year for all of us, thankfully there were some great releases that kept us asking for more.

It's time to share your favorites, in our 10th Annual SteelBook of the Year for 2020.

After the nomination period ends around mid January 2020, the voting polls will be opened, and you will be able to vote until end of January, 2021. The winners will be announced afterwards.

Any Steelbooks that were completely released, shipped and in the hands of customers by December 31, 2020 are eligible.

Please nominate your favorite picks in your reply to this thread. @Wreck will go through them and pick who will make it to the voting polls.

Feel free to use pictures, to share with fellow Ninjas why you've made that choice.

Have fun everyone & thanks for being part of the hidefninja.com community!

Stay safe. #WearAMask

Received Frozen 2 DL (Fanatics) today.

Now that I have it in hand, and despite having no film discs, I think it's definitely worthy of a steelbook of the year nomination.

The two lenticular images are razor sharp too. All round awesome looking edition.

Reactions: Actarus
Chernobyl Best Buy has been the nicest one I've seen in 2020. Didn't think too much about it until I got out of the shrink wrap and then the quality of the paint job really struck me.

For your consideration, Synapse's The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue steelbook.
I ate up the artwork which extends from front to back. Inside artwork excellent also.
Includes an O-ring slipcover for dessert.

always good to see these lists, :thumbs: reminds you of some releases that you missed or forgot. as well as all the other negative things it was, 2020 was also a bad year for WWA steelbook quality - flat, matte and preferably scratched or dented seemed to be 'the usual.' :(

anyway, these were some of my faves, restricting only to those i have in hand. :woot: great to see what other suggestions people come up with. :watch:

steelbook:
- 1917 zavvi/WWA - full gloss and embossed, like they used to be.
- Angel Heart 4k zavvi (landscape art) - not the most amazing steelbook ever, but some credit for doing something different this year. standards have indeed dropped.
- Avengers Endgame zavvi 4k - no, it's not a masterpiece, but a great demonstration of what all of the WWA Marvel releases should have been like.
- Captain Marvel zavvi 4k - as above.
- Chernobyl amazon - i liked it for it's acid spotlit colours.
- Deadpool 2 blufans - much delayed, but a great steel with superb artwork.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Germany) - again, basic steel doing something a bit different with the artwork.
- Frozen II fanatics - full gloss, good artwork, embossed - ah, that's better.
- Inception 4k zavvi (embossed)
- The Mission NovaMedia - just beautiful artwork.
- The Shawshank Redemption HDZeta - great artwork with an unusual metallic sheen for the rain. and the Struzan on the lenti!
- Shazam HDZeta - Zeta finally produce an embossed full gloss steel, and it's good.
- Us Manta - the artwork everyone wanted, in the style everyone wanted - embossed and gloss.

In the interest of keeping it simple, it's mainly about the SteelBook itself though there is no harm in people mentioning their favorites in terms of slips, boxes, lentis etc...

If you like fat slips or athletic ones, have at it. :p

@Wreck

i did actually list a few others, for what it's worth :rolleyes::

retailer
- dunno, this year, everyone's had a dip or some missteps, but i think this year i'd give it to FAC. not because they did anything amazing, but they were the only one to consistently get releases out - admittedly a low bar after waiting for eternity, in some cases! expect blufans (post-Disney) or Manta (post-separation of businesses) to reclaim soon.

full slip
- The Mission NovaMedia - just love the painterly artwork and treatment on this.
- Us Manta

lenti slip
- Deadpool 2 blufans ('Fred Savage' edition.
- Frozen II fanatics SL
- Jaws FAC
- John Wick Chapter 3 Nova lenti - different approach to the first two, but really like it.
- Joker Manta lenti (mirror image)
- The Shawshank Redemption HDZeta
- Shazam HDZeta DL - ultra clear!

overall art
- Death Proof Reel Synergy - release of the year? :notworthy:
- The Exorcist Black Barons
- "Game of Thrones" shadow box edition - obviously not a steel, so prob. disqualified, but surely one of the best releases. :drool:
- Midsommar A24
- The Mission Nova
- Us Manta

box set
- Death Proof Reel Synergy
- "Game of Thrones" shadow box edition
- "Monty Python Norwegian Blue" box set - again, not a steel, but a lovely set anyway i wanted to mention.

Stop It Christmas Vacation GIF

Last edited:
always good to see these lists, :thumbs: reminds you of some releases that you missed or forgot. as well as all the other negative things it was, 2020 was also a bad year for WWA steelbook quality - flat, matte and preferably scratched or dented seemed to be 'the usual.' :(

anyway, these were some of my faves, restricting only to those i have in hand. :woot: great to see what other suggestions people come up with. :watch:

steelbook:
- 1917 zavvi/WWA - full gloss and emmbossed, like they used to be.
- Angel Heart 4k zavvi (landscape art) - not the most amazing steelbook ever, but some credit for doing something different this year. standards have indeed dropped.
- Avengers Endgame zavvi 4k - no, it's not a masterpiece, but a great demonstration of what all of the WWA Marvel releases wshoudl have been like.
- Captain Marvel zavvi 4k - as above.
- Chernobyl amazon - i liked it for it's acid spotlit colours.
- Deadpool 2 blufans - much delayed, but a great steel with superb artwork.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Germany) - again, basic steel doing something a bit different with the artwork.
- Frozen II fanatics - full gloss, good artwork, embossed - ah, that's better.
- Inception 4k zavvi (embossed)
- The Mission NovaMedia - just beautiful artwork.
- The Shawshank Redemption HDZeta - great artwork with an unusual metallic sheen for the rain. and the Struzan on the lenti!
- Shazam HDZeta - Zeta finally produce an embossed full gloss steel, and it's good.
- Us Manta - the artwork everyone wanted, in the style everyone wanted - embossed and gloss.

i did actually list a few others, for what it's worth :rolleyes::

retailer
- dunno, this year, everyone's had a dip or some missteps, but i think this year i'd give it to FAC. not because they did anything amazing, but they were the only one to consistently get releases out - admittedly a low bar after waiting for eternity, in some cases! expect blufans (post-Disney) or Manta (post-separation of businesses) to reclaim soon.

full slip
- The Mission NovaMedia - just love the painterly artwork and treatment on this.
- Us Manta

lenti slip
- Deadpool 2 blufans ('Fred Savage' edition.
- Frozen II fanatics SL
- Jaws FAC
- John Wick Chapter 3 Nova lenti - different approach to the first two, but really like it.
- Joker Manta lenti (mirror image)
- Shazam HDZeta DL - ultra clear!

overall art
- Death Proof Reel Synergy - release of the year? :notworthy:
- The Exorcist Black Barons
- "Game of Thrones" shadow box edition - obviously not a steel, so prob. disqualified, but surely one of the best releases. :drool:
- Midsommar A24
- The Mission Nova
- Us Manta

box set
- Death Proof Reel Synergy
- "Game of Thrones" shadow box edition
- "Monty Python Norwegian Blue" box set - again, not a steel, but a lovely set anyway i wanted to mention.

Stop It Christmas Vacation GIF

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

they're all debossed :naughty::LOL::rofl:

Not sure if this is still open for nominations but here are my favourite SteelBooks from 2020.

•Akira - I’ve entertainment WEA
•Maleficent: mistress of evil - Zavvi/ WWA
•Us - Manta Lab WEA
•Parasite - French edition WEA
•Spider-Man Far From Home - Film Arena WEA
•1917 - Zavvi WWA
•Frozen 2 - Fanatics/ Blufans WEA
•Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Manta lab WEA
•Birds of Prey - Manta Lab WEA
•Halloween - US exclusive version
•The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - WEET WEA
•Avengers Endgame - Zavvi lenti WEA
•Total recall - Zavvi exclusive
•Deadpool 2 - Blufans WEA
•Mandy - US WEA
•Rick & Morty Season 3 - US/ Canadian exclusive

All stunning in hand, only one I don’t own is the US Halloween steelbook. I have the zavvi version but the US one has a much better finish.

Honourable mentions to all the marvel 4K zavvi re releases that were released in 2020 (the ones with the poster art and the border that all match), the Star Wars 4K zavvi wave, Fifth element zavvi exclusive, 2001 a space odyssey titans of cult and Dunkirk Manta Lab WEA. All great but not part of my nominations

Last edited:
Reactions: jasong and zeebeer
I think the Mondo Black Panther deserves a 'shoutout' if no one else has already. Great artwork and great spot gloss finish on the steelbook

I also think 2021 is already shaping up to be a better year. Weet's Endgame looks stunning as will hopefully Manta's Drive and who knows what else will come out later in the year...

I think the Mondo Black Panther deserves a 'shoutout' if no one else has already. Great artwork and great spot gloss finish on the steelbook

Gotta wait a year to nominate that one. But I fully agree. It will be on my list next year

Reactions: tommyh84