paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: April 25, 2022
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £22.00 (Arrow Films) - £21.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)
Notes: 4K UHD disc only

71oznjNsz8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Special Edition Contents:

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, approved by director Terry Gilliam
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 stereo soundtracks
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam and producer Charles Roven
  • The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, feature-length making-of documentary by Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe (Lost in La Mancha)
  • The Film Exchange with Terry Gilliam, a 1996 interview with Gilliam and critic Jonathan Romney, recorded at the London Film Festival
  • Appreciation by Ian Christie, author of Gilliam on Gilliam
  • The Twelve Monkeys Archives
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
First Pressing Only: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Nathan Rabin and Ian Christie

71oznjNsz8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 61jZIN4d9hL._AC_SL1024_.jpg 61nOIUhm58L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Shame that it uses the same art as the Blu-ray release on the slip.

Also, it's not exactly Newly Commissioned Art as mentioned in the description.

Shame that it uses the same art as the Blu-ray release on the slip.

Also, it's not exactly Newly Commissioned Art as mentioned in the description.
The 4K release is same a previous Blu-ray in terms of extras and artwork

The description Arrow just copied from their previous Blu-ray release but changed to list 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)

It's also why there is no new Blu-ray release announced as that already has the same restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative and extras used on the 4K UHD release

Another release they milked, yes, milked, everything out of, before putting out a UHD version they always had and planned on doing. Very irritating this company has become lately.

Another release they milked, yes, milked, everything out of, before putting out a UHD version they always had and planned on doing. Very irritating this company has become lately.
The Blu-ray release with 4K scan of the original negative was in October 2018
2022 - 2018 = 4 Years ago

Restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative does not mean 4K UHD disc format

Restoration from a 4K scan of negatives has been happening before 2012
UHD disc format did not even exist back then
Those restorations was put on DVD and Blu-ray releases

Arrow Films did not have a licence from film studios to do 4K UHD discs releases back in 2018
Only Film Studio themselves back in 2018 was doing 4K UHD releases and they was not licencing out their film catalouge then to independent labels to do 4K UHD releases

When a film studio licence out their films to other labels Blu-ray and UHD releases involves seperate licences
Also the sales of 4K UHD discs even if film studios had provided a licence back then was not enough for independent labels to do 4K UHD releases back in 2018 which is why you only have started to see likes of Arrow/Scream Factory/Kino Lorber to start doing 4K UHD disc releases in past 2 years

Arrow first 4K UHD release was Pitch Black was not until August 2020

When a independent label wants to do a UHD disc release that involves getting a 4K UHD disc licence from the Film Studio

Last edited:
Also the sales of 4K UHD discs even if film studios had provided a licence back then was not enough for independent labels to do 4K UHD releases back in 2018 which is why you only have started to see likes of Arrow/Scream Factory/Kino Lorber to start doing 4K UHD disc releases in past 2 years
That makes sense.
OK, maybe I overstretched this being an evil and deliberate plan, but there still must have been a business plan for such future, when 4k releases would happen.

They're still going to use the same transfer, same file basically, just compress it less for a UHD disc.
We had Blu-rays with transfers done for DVDs in the beginning of 2000's, just as we had DVDs with Laserdisc transfers, so time doesn't matter.

What's disappointing, is Arrow uses all the same art and packaging. If they want to sell their releases well, they'd do better by following FilmArena and MantaLab, etc, examples, and ask for approval of new designs, at least, as they're basically selling the same thing. Practically all recent 4k releases of '4k mastered' BDs look extremely close, with minor differences noticeable only if you're comparing discs directly a meter (4 feet) away from a 75" screen.

What's disappointing, is Arrow uses all the same art and packaging. If they want to sell their releases well, they'd do better by following FilmArena and MantaLab, etc, examples, and ask for approval of new designs, at least, as they're basically selling the same thing. Practically all recent 4k releases of '4k mastered' BDs look extremely close, with minor differences noticeable only if you're comparing discs directly a meter (4 feet) away from a 75" screen.
Fully agree with this.

Most of the stuff that I've picked up over the past couple of years from Arrow was purely for the package, id say 95% of them I've not even watched.
So for me personally as a collector of Arrows stuff, using the same art over and over on several new releases is a big disappointment, I really ain't going to pay the price just because it will have a UHD sticker on it :wow: Just seems really lazy to me.

Also worries me for future releases as if they are doing now with some of these then how many more do they do it with in the future?

Maybe the margins weren't great with some of the other 4k releases with new art, then dealing with artists that weren't best pleased with some of their actions over using their art. So now they probably just think **** it just use the same old art.

That makes sense.
OK, maybe I overstretched this being an evil and deliberate plan, but there still must have been a business plan for such future, when 4k releases would happen.

They're still going to use the same transfer, same file basically, just compress it less for a UHD disc.
We had Blu-rays with transfers done for DVDs in the beginning of 2000's, just as we had DVDs with Laserdisc transfers, so time doesn't matter.

The difference between Blu-ray and UHD is not the same upgrade in quality that you had from DVD to Blu-ray

This why a lot of people have not upgraded their existing Blu-ray collection to UHD

1) Price of UHD discs
2) Blu-ray picture and sound already looks good

Extras most are on Blu-ray discs but that slowly changing to be on UHD discs

The biggest difference is there has been a huge transition to digital purchase of films to stream on 4K Tv's and other devices in past 5 years and continues to increase.

There is also lot of streaming services available to watch films and TV content some are free or subscription based.

Sales of physical media DVD/Blu-ray/UHD is less than digital purchases and you don't have any issues with storing and maintaining a physical media collection.

Digital purchase and streaming services lot cheaper than purchasing Blu-ray or UHD discs
This also why DVD still outsells Blu-ray they are lot cheaper

There is lot of homes now that have 4K tv's and continues to increase
There is lot of 4K content to stream on 4K tvs so the need to purchase 4K uhd discs for most consumers not required

4K UHD discs is a niche market and is why market share is tiny

Physical media will still be available a good while but the reality is viewing habits on how this content is used has changed

Why has prices of UHD discs remained high is there is not enough unit disc sales to lower the prices as price is based on unit cost per disc
Film Distributors are not going to press 100,000 UHD discs if they can't sell that amount

10 to 20 years time there will be very few consumers purchasing films on physical media format when a click of a remote you can stream on multiple devices

You will also see films be in cinemas and to stream on TVs same time increase over the next few years

You will never see UHD discs sales reach what DVD and Blu-ray achieved before streaming arrived as a method to view content.

If you not aware Arrow have a subscription streaming service which includes lot of their new releases and extras also included.

Great way to see if you like the content before purchasing physical media on Blu-ray or UHD or purchasing a digital edition

Subscription available in UK/USA and some other countries
If not available in your country a vpn can be used to sign up for streaming subscription
Content available between UK and USA varies
If you have a vpn that not an issue

Note
The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune" 2021 documentary that was not on the Arrow Video UHD and Blu-ray releases is available to stream on Arrow Player

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenny Nero
You will never see UHD discs sales reach what DVD and Blu-ray achieved before streaming arrived as a method to view content.

If you not aware Arrow have a subscription streaming service which includes lot of their new releases and extras also included.

Great way to see if you like the content before purchasing physical media on Blu-ray or UHD or purchasing a digital edition

Subscription available in UK/USA and some other countries
If not available in your country a vpn can be used to sign up for streaming subscription
Content available between UK and USA varies
If you have a vpn that not an issue

Note
The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune" 2021 documentary that was not on the Arrow Video UHD and Blu-ray releases is available to stream on Arrow Player

I agree that UHD is probably the last physical format, not that I'm complaining, after upgrading most from DVD (still think they could've put at least 720p compressed video on existing 4-8gb DVDs midway, around 2003-2005, for same cost), and am glad I don't have to replace all the BDs.
I would use streaming services if they allowed to download purchased digital copies in good quality. I can't have titles disappear (or get altered) at their will at any time.

Apparently some shots were out of order on the 4K release according to Digital Bits. Do we know if this was rectified? Thanks.

Replacement disc surely?
I don't think so. People say it was even on the 2018 disc, and no one even acknowledged that.
It's been in the montage cut for a long time. I think it's during the interrogation scene, with all the crazy closeups. A few seconds is repeated.
That's why I don't give any weight, or 'respect' to any 'Filmmaker' or 'DP' approved transfers. If I know how, for example, The Matrix looked in theaters, I call bullshit! Them messing with the colors years or decades later, for useless, artificial, eye burning HDR is wrong most of the time.

20220711_204453.jpg
20220711_204456.jpg

Reactions: thefly