Jan 3, 2013
USA
Release date: October 3 , 2018
Purchase link: Amazon JP
Price: ¥ 5,076

81f1cDQEWjL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@AlienKing what translation? :confused:
Movie title. 12 Strong = Horse Soldier. I just find that to be funny. It's like it goes from a drama film to some comedy flick.

Me and @C.C. 95 had a convo in another thread somewhere about title translations across the world. And he listed like hundreds of them and they were either funny, stupid or stupid funny. :LOL:

Movie title. 12 Strong = Horse Soldier. I just find that to be funny. It's like it goes from a drama film to some comedy flick.

Me and @C.C. 95 had a convo in another thread somewhere about title translations across the world. And he listed like hundreds of them and they were either funny, stupid or stupid funny. :LOL:
Alternative titles are just hilarious sometimes. I think Horse Soldier is an alright alternative title and it's on the tag line "The Declassified True Story of the Horse Soldiers". The film was based on a book with same title.
I thought "All You Need is Kill" (Edge of Tomorrow) from Japan was just plain silly, then I found out that the screenplay was adapted on the novel with same title.
Actually I kinda like alternative movie titles. It's appealing to me. Movie titles from different languages doens't even bother me.
By the way you guys should create a thread of movies with alternative titles world wide. I think that's a great idea. :thumbs::thumbs:

Alternative titles are just hilarious sometimes. I think Horse Soldier is an alright alternative title and it's on the tag line "The Declassified True Story of the Horse Soldiers". The film was based on a book with same title.
I thought "All You Need is Kill" (Edge of Tomorrow) from Japan was just plain silly, then I found out that the screenplay was adapted on the novel with same title.
Actually I kinda like alternative movie titles. It's appealing to me. Movie titles from different languages doens't even bother me.
By the way you guys should create a thread of movies with alternative titles world wide. I think that's a great idea. :thumbs::thumbs:
Well, HORSE SOLDIERS actually WAS the title of the movie.
It was changed to 12 strong at the 11th hour.
So, I consider the steelbook title correct and the theatrical title incorrect.
Some bean counter probably said "people are gonna think this is some Horse movie, and not a war movie."
So we end up with the dumb generic title, rather than the original title that meant something.
But we still know the real title.
I mean - do the folks in the U.k. Really talk about AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, or just AVENGERS?
We all know what the real title is.
https://www.phactual.com/12-movies-that-changed-their-titles-when-they-were-released/

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: PunkNinja
Well, HORSE SOLDIERS actually WAS the title of the movie.
It was changed to 12 strong at the 11th hour.
So, I consider the steelbook title correct and the theatrical title incorrect.
Some bean counter probably said "people are gonna think this is some Horse movie, and not a war movie."
Somwe end up with the dumb generic title, rather than the original title that meant something.
But we still know the real title.
I mean - do the folks in the U.k. Really talk about AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, or just AVENGERS?
We all know what the real title is.
https://www.phactual.com/12-movies-that-changed-their-titles-when-they-were-released/
Well, yes, ususally I dont think it bothers us. I guess alternative titles tend to be funny because we are used to the North American titles. Our titles might be funny or off putting to the people from those countries.
I guess the way this movie was marketed here "being a serious war/military movie" or whatnot and when I saw the title it kind of took that away.
I mean without any pictures or videos, your idea of the genre of the movie would be different if you heard "12 Strong" vs "Horse Soldier"; in comparison it wouldnt change much if you heard 'Edge of Tomorrow" vs "All you need is Kill", you know what I mean? If anything, Edge of Tomorrow sounds more sci-fi than the original title. Although I love "All you need is Kill". It sounds so cool. But Edge of Tomorrow sounds generic.

I wonder if they would ever release Blade Runner with the original title? I think i would buy it.

• Thanks
Reactions: PunkNinja
Well, yes, ususally I dont think it bothers us. I guess alternative titles tend to be funny because we are used to the North American titles. Our titles might be funny or off putting to the people from those countries.
I guess the way this movie was marketed here "being a serious war/military movie" or whatnot and when I saw the title it kind of took that away.
I mean without any pictures or videos, your idea of the genre of the movie would be different if you heard "12 Strong" vs "Horse Soldier"; in comparison it wouldnt change much if you heard 'Edge of Tomorrow" vs "All you need is Kill", you know what I mean? If anything, Edge of Tomorrow sounds more sci-fi than the original title. Although I love "All you need is Kill". It sounds so cool. But Edge of Tomorrow sounds generic.

I wonder if they would ever release Blade Runner with the original title? I think i would buy it.
Blade Runner was always the title of the movie and the script.

@AlienKing Yes, I know what you mean bud. If you don't know anything about the movie or the book. You would think that "Edge of Tomorrow" is the book title cause it's more poetic and "All You Need is Kill" is the movie title cause it's more direct and like you said it's a cool title. Other alternative movie titles gets funny and ridiculous in other countries cause I guess it just gets lost in translation. The working titles are really interesting though.

Yea, sorry, I meant the original 'book' title. It'd be interesting to see it I think.
Speaking of which - one of the greatest marketing blunders of the Century, was Disney changing JOHN CARTER OF MARS to JOHN CARTER.
The original title is a well known book that promises epic science fiction adventure.....ON MARS.
The truncated title, JOHN CARTER...sounds like some dude down the street, or maybe a movie about Michael Clayton or Michael Collins' drinking buddy.
With a few exceptions - titles that are people's proper names by themselves (unless they are well known historical figures), sell you nothing.