2001: A Space Odyssey (4K + Blu-ray Collector's Edition) (The Film Vault #007) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 2, 2023
Purchase links: Vice Press - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV (Vice Press Pre-order on May 29, at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £69.99 (Vice Press Poster Edition) - £49.99 (Collector's Edition)
Notes: Vice Press Exclusive Poster Edition limited to 200

2001_ASO_FVR_4K.jpg

2001 Space Film Vault.jpg

Vice Press Exclusive Poster Edition

hl-26573170266.png hl-26573170261.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot about these, but preordered all now from Zavvi, still available.
I wonder which one will be the "1408" of this wave, as in the 'last left standing', remaining unsold.
Maybe none, maybe Apollo 13 will sell out last...

Wave 1 you can still get 1917/Scarface/Goodfellas from Amazon UK and WB Shop
Only Blade Runner completely sold out in regards to Wave 1

In regards to the Wave 2 Collector's Editions available from various retailers
I expect Jaws will be the one from Wave 2 will be the title that sells out and possibly 2001 A Space Odyssey
Apollo 13 and The Shawshank Redemption I expect will take a while

Just received mine direct from Vice and I'm glad to see it was really well packed - not that I'd expect any different from them though

This is my first ever Vault edition, so it's nice to finally see one in hand. I like the artworks and presentation, but there's definitely room for improvement. Firstly and most importantly... they still haven't improved the flimsy cardboard inner that holds the "crystal" plaque, despite promising they would, so of course the area around that is completely destroyed due to it sliding around. I will say I didn't realise the plaques are actually made of glass though, so that was a nice surprise! The outer box would benefit massively from being glossy rather than matte... it'd really make the colours pop and compliment the artwork more. For some reason the lobby card images have a pink-ish hue to them... dunno if they're meant to be like that or if it was a printing issue, but they look awful IMO and make the film look like crap.

So, yeah... kinda 50/50 on it tbh, but I'm happy to have it in the collection. However, unless they make the necessary improvements then I'm not exactly tempted to buy more.

Oh and I ordered it with the print, but I'm yet to open that as I need a new frame. Excited to see how it looks!

Reactions: leelee17
I cancelled my order a few months ago

I already have multiple 4K Limited Editions releases of 2001: A Space Odyssey
This Film Vault release has less discs than the other Limited Edition releases

Reactions: Daubt and leelee17
The posters that I received from a previous wave - for Scarface and Goodfellas - were very dull and bad looking, which is ironic as they're supposedly poster sellers first of all, and their posters happened to be the worst I've ever bought.
So I decided not to buy any others from them, just the UHD boxsets.
This 2001 poster is very colorful, so maybe that'll help overcome their dark matte printing and paper.

Just received mine direct from Vice and I'm glad to see it was really well packed - not that I'd expect any different from them though

This is my first ever Vault edition, so it's nice to finally see one in hand. I like the artworks and presentation, but there's definitely room for improvement. Firstly and most importantly... they still haven't improved the flimsy cardboard inner that holds the "crystal" plaque, despite promising they would, so of course the area around that is completely destroyed due to it sliding around. I will say I didn't realise the plaques are actually made of glass though, so that was a nice surprise! The outer box would benefit massively from being glossy rather than matte... it'd really make the colours pop and compliment the artwork more. For some reason the lobby card images have a pink-ish hue to them... dunno if they're meant to be like that or if it was a printing issue, but they look awful IMO and make the film look like crap.

So, yeah... kinda 50/50 on it tbh, but I'm happy to have it in the collection. However, unless they make the necessary improvements then I'm not exactly tempted to buy more.
Oh please no. No glossy finish. They would probably use the cheapest glossy finish available without special protection against scratches. And now imagine that slip sliding over it. This would result in a complete mess of scratches all over the artwork. The matte artwork is completely fine as it is. They only need to improve the goddamm paper construction inside.

Oh please no. No glossy finish. They would probably use the cheapest glossy finish available without special protection against scratches. And now imagine that slip sliding over it. This would result in a complete mess of scratches all over the artwork. The matte artwork is completely fine as it is. They only need to improve the goddamm paper construction inside.
Not sure what you mean... it's paper/card, which can be delicate no matter the finish. I've tons of these types of box set editions, all with different finishes, and can honestly say none of them have been any less durable as the other. If it were steelbooks we were talking about, then sure, gloss is very much more prone to scratching than matte.

But, yeah... the interior housing definitely needs improving! Until then, I probably won't even consider picking up any more of these sets unfortunately, at least, not at the current prices anyway.

Reactions: Sinthoras_96