"4K does not have the same impact..."

DMD4k

QuoteMaster® & GIFGuru®
Premium Supporter
Mar 12, 2018
Spain
Starting a new thread so that I don't get on the mod's nerves replying out of topic.
I'm going to use a quote from paulboland to illustrate my point, I'm not calling him out in particular, it's just an example.
I haven't been here long but I notice a trend every few topics or posts a lot of users are putting the 4K format down for some reason or another. I'd truly like to know why? If it's just a case of "I've just spent a few grand in a 3D TV a couple of years ago and now they've dropped the format, so I'm going to wait it out and get into 4K later on" then I can understand that. Otherwise I don't.
If you haven't demoed a 4K TV with true 4K content do yourself a favour and go demo one, you won't regret it.

Anyways...
4K does not have the same impact of going from DVD to Blu-ray or Vhs to DVD

WRONG

There was a very significant improvement going from VHS to DVD.
There was a 6x/5x (depending on US/EU markets) resolution improvement going from DVD to BD.
While it's true that going from BD to an evolution of BD, UHD/4K BD, is an improvement of "only" 4x, there's one thing that isn't normally taken into account: HDR. It's not all about math. I'd argue 4x increase in resolution + HDR is almost as big a quality jump as going from DVD to BD was. But even if HDR wasn't taken into account 4x is still perfectly noticeable at a normal viewing distance. I for one love the format because who ever said "Oh, I wish I could see Pacific Rim: Uprising in VHS"?
One additional benefit of the larger capacity disc vs standard BD is (usually) you get better audio options. That's quite important for me as well, not sure if you appreciate that aspect of it. Audio is a big part of the whole film watching experience as we all know.

I guess I'll just get flamed or maybe a few of you agree with me. If you are against an improvement in video resolution (and audio for that matter) please state why, don't be shy. Help me understand :)

Reactions: Nightcrawler
I truly love 4K. There are still a lot of back catalogue titles I’m waiting to come out, namely Edge Of Tomorrow, Tron Legacy, Star Wars, Godzilla (2014). I know Tron Legacy should look amazing as the Blu-ray is spectacular. The screenshots below were taken off my Epson EH-TW9400 using an iPhone 7 Plus. The images have a huge amount of depth and look truly 3D. If the 4K can best these I will be astounded.
716D23F3-53CC-4F02-B117-08CF75EDE8A1.jpeg
DF22D33F-3A51-4007-A418-DAAD4266AFB6.jpeg
091E1EF1-4A57-4C5C-816F-97C46637D101.jpeg
7D2B47B5-65CF-4667-9900-E6273F29C9EE.jpeg
00F5F07B-444E-410D-A7D8-C9429812D7E8.jpeg
52BDD627-CFB8-4A50-AEE0-EB8EBA831C02.jpeg
BAB72C6E-1025-4B96-8017-D881D16A7894.jpeg
DDEA4835-A6A7-4148-8FCC-BB89BAA31648.jpeg
42DEE7CB-C4C0-4814-B60A-8A2B1EEAA7E9.jpeg
38B5B887-2C21-4C97-B9AC-F0E5E54F5E60.jpeg

Reactions: AlienKing
I have nothing against UHD. I just have zero interest in it. My 55” LG 4K/passive 3D is geared only towards HD and 3D. The thing I do like about 4K is truer blacks. But anything sub 65” makes no difference in my eyes between standard Blu Ray and UHD. Besides, my LG is great but not perfect. The blacks are more charcoal grey than actual black.

If I was new to the game, I would go 4K, because what choice is there now 3D is gone?

But 8K? That’s just taking the mickey.

I have nothing against UHD. I just have zero interest in it. My 55” LG 4K/passive 3D is geared only towards HD and 3D. The thing I do like about 4K is truer blacks. But anything sub 65” makes no difference in my eyes between standard Blu Ray and UHD. Besides, my LG is great but not perfect. The blacks are more charcoal grey than actual black.

If I was new to the game, I would go 4K, because what choice is there now 3D is gone?

But 8K? That’s just taking the mickey.
I disagree on 8K. It may be true on small TVs, I’m not sure, but even on my 65” TV, there are times where I can perceive pixels. It’s not that I see individual pixels (and it really does depend on the image), but I notice things and if I walk a few feet closer (I like to be about 6’ from the set) it’s pixels. People think 4k is high DPI, but it’s not. My old 1080 monitor has higher DPI than a 4k TV.

But there are other uses for these TVs going forward. For example, you might have photos or artwork on the TV. In that case, you may be even closer to the set.
And then there’s 3D. If 3D ever makes a come back, an 8K set means you can get a 4k 3D image.

I get the complaints. I remember when I thought much lower DPI phones were good enough. Now I like the much higher ones (and you’d need a magnifying glass to see a pixel).

Someone a year ago asked about DVD vs VHS at launch. DVD was much cheaper than VHS. For all the talk about why DVD did so well, price and the fact that you didn’t have to wait after a rental period to get the movie made them huge. For people like those on here, I suspect most were getting coupons left and right for Amazon, reelmovies (or something like that), dvdempire and so on. I remember getting one of the Austin powers movies for free (never liked AP, but got it and then put it on ebay unopened).

That said, if you didn’t have all those coupons (andmost people got movies from Best Buy or Circuit City, so they paid much more than me) the prices were about the same as 4k is if you adjust for inflation/

What’s more, catalog prices are dirt cheap. I’ve seen First Blood for 15 bucks (might have been a steelbook, but I’m no sure).

People want cheap, but the prices on 4k are not bad. Honestly, the arguments against 4k are identical to the arguments against blu Ray in 2006. Ultimately, streaming is hurting disks, because while the quality of streaming is not great, it’s good enough for most people.

It’s only when you compare a disk to Netflix (as I did with Blue Planet 2 a week or so back) that you realize just how bad streaming is. If you don’t see the disk, it looks awesome. It’s probably a greater improvement than you get with CD over MP3 or Vorbis.

True. There are quite a few that are upscaled from 2K. But there are plenty that aren't. Still 2K is twice as good as HD. Also, even those are still treated to HDR/DV and most will have better audio. All that adds to a better viewing experience, for me at least.
A lot of the time I don't find much of a noticeable difference between native 4k disc and a good quality Blu-ray that is upscaled to 4k.
( And I have 58 inch TV and a 4k projector and both with hdr)

A lot of the time I don't find much of a noticeable difference between native 4k disc and a good quality Blu-ray that is upscaled to 4k.
( And I have 58 inch TV and a 4k projector and both with hdr)
From what I understand - projectors don't translate HDR/DV as well as LED/OLED panels.
On my Z9D the color and luminance is blindingly intense with HDR. (Have to dial it back sometimes!)
And, of course - the upconverts look great. (And when using an OPPO player you can apply simulated (forced) HDR/DV if you wish)