85” 8K Samsung QLED announced for October 2018

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per HDD

“To coincide with the IFA 2018 tradeshow in Berlin, Samsung has fully revealed its new Q900FN QLED 8K TV. Though pricing has not been detailed yet, the 85" display is set to launch in the US in October (65", 75", and 82" screen sizes are also planned for other regions).”

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm capping out at 4K. No way I'm buying into this 8K stuff.
Smart. You will never see the difference. (Maybe if it is 8K gaming at 160 hz :LOL:)
HDR and Dolby Vision Is the secret sauce now (more than increased resolution.)
All one needs to do is look up what the human eye is capable of seeing.
Beyond 4K it turns into selling tvs with a gimmick, next will be 12K.*
it's like selling a new sound system that is marketed as better because it goes beyong 20,000hz because it is 30,000 Hz and Up!
(Human ear can't hear anything beyond 20,000hz - but 30,000 is a bigger number!)

*Higher FR, increased Hz, 8K and beyond is squarely aimed at gamers.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I kinda wanna cap out at 8K. You know, just so i have more than what I need...
But the big question is this:
Will there be any content available?
Do they really wanna be making 8k discs when 4K crrossover from Blu ray has just begun?
I really don't know. (Especially when many common consumers already say they don't see the bump in 4K already (they are, of course, wrong- but how do you sell 8K when they are reticent about 4k already?))

But the big question is this:
Will there be any content available?
Do they really wanna be making 8k discs when 4K crrossover from Blu ray has just begun?
I really don't know. (Especially when many common consumers already say they don't see the bump in 4K already (they are, of course, wrong- but how do you sell 8K when they are reticent about 4k already?))

But for real though, i know what you mean. But i also feel like they'll focus more on HDR, DV and whatever else they can improve. Because really, thinking of a future where they market 16K with only HDR and DV doesnt look all that promising for the industry.

But for real though, i know what you mean. But i also feel like they'll focus more on HDR, DV and whatever else they can improve. Because really, thinking of a future where they market 16K with only HDR and DV doesnt look all that promising for the industry.

You can't see any difference between 4K and 8k (let alone 16K). The pixels are the size of atoms at that point. You would have to have a 150 to 200" TV to see any difference. (Notice that when they display 8K tv - it is never a 55" TV - always a GIANT one)
And any strides in HDR and Dolby Vision will not be proprietary.
Example: there are games and movies that have HDR that aren't even 4K.
But, from a consumer point of view, I just don't see 8K catching on right on the heels of 4K. They just forced many to change televisions at great cost, and do they expect anyone to change again so soon? No way. (It would be a triple whammy for those who got screwed buying 4K before HDCP 2.2!)
Once you push the rock up the hill and reach the zenith, everything else is going back down the other side.
Simple math: the human eye can only see so much. 8, 16, 32k - you aren't going to see this. At this point, it becomes marketing and selling you something you don't need.
Advancements in color And luminescence will be great - but we have maxed out resolution we can see.
I wouldn't try talking someone out of getting an 8K if they want one... but I don't see the point. (Unless one loves wasting money, or can afford the aforementioned 200" TV)

Last edited:
You can't see any difference between 4K and 8k (let alone 16K). The pixels are the size of atoms at that point. You would have to have a 150 to 200" TV to see any difference. (Notice that when they display 8K tv - it is never a 55" TV - always a GIANT one)
And any strides in HDR and Dolby Vision will not be proprietary.
Example: there are games and movies that have HDR that aren't even 4K.
But, from a consumer point of view, I just don't see 8K catching on right on the heels of 4K. They just forced many to change televisions at great cost, and do they expect anyone to change again so soon? No way. (It would be a triple whammy for those who got screwed buying 4K before HDCP 2.2!)
Once you push the rock up the hill and reach the zenith, everything else is going back down the other side.
Simple math: the human eye can only see so much. 8, 16, 32k - you aren't going to see this. At this point, it becomes marketing and selling you something you don't need.
Advancements in color And luminescence will be great - but we have maxed out resolution we can see.
I wouldn't try talking someone out of getting an 8K if they want one... but I don't see the point. (Unless one loves wasting money, or can afford the aforementioned 200" TV)
Yea I agree with everything you say, but think about this. Once 8K Tvs hit the shelves, your average consumer will only see 8K Tvs being offered at their local BestBuy or WalMart; the same way they are seeing 4K TVs now. And one thing I noticed is people are always buying these TVs. It's interesting. No matter the month or season, you can always find someone walking out with a TV. But once 8Ks on the shelves, do you think they are going to go the extra mile and find a 4K TV because they cant tell the difference between the resolution? You and I might go to great lengths to find that exact 4K+3D TV we want but there isnt a huge market for us.
Only way this will change is if a completely new form of tech replaces TVs, pushing TVs to go obsolete.

Yea I agree with everything you say, but think about this. Once 8K Tvs hit the shelves, your average consumer will only see 8K Tvs being offered at their local BestBuy or WalMart; the same way they are seeing 4K TVs now. And one thing I noticed is people are always buying these TVs. It's interesting. No matter the month or season, you can always find someone walking out with a TV. But once 8Ks on the shelves, do you think they are going to go the extra mile and find a 4K TV because they cant tell the difference between the resolution? You and I might go to great lengths to find that exact 4K+3D TV we want but there isnt a huge market for us.
Only way this will change is if a completely new form of tech replaces TVs, pushing TVs to go obsolete.
They can push 8K, 12K, 16K TVs all they want. The market will decide. 8K TVs will not be cheap- and the average person will not be strolling out of a Best Buy with one anytime soon.
4K is fully entrenched with broadcasting, theater exhibition, and content. People have JUST acclimated and spent big money on 4K TVs and players - they will not be changing again this soon. Plus the fact that there will be ZERO content in 8K. If you bought an 8K tv today, you would have nothing to watch. You would be upconverting 4K material- which, again, will not be visably better unless you have a TV that is 150- 200".

They can push 8K, 12K, 16K TVs all they want. The market will decide. 8K TVs will not be cheap- and the average person will not be strolling out of a Best Buy with one anytime soon.
4K is fully entrenched with broadcasting, theater exhibition, and content. People have JUST acclimated and spent big money on 4K TVs and players - they will not be changing again this soon. Plus the fact that there will be ZERO content in 8K. If you bought an 8K tv today, you would have nothing to watch. You would be upconverting 4K material- which, again, will not be visably better unless you have a TV that is 150- 200".
I understand that but look how many people have bought 4K TVs. They've been quite cheap since last nov/dec. And i'm not talking about 80"+ TVs. I'm talking about your average 45-55" consumer. I dont even think they are even fully aware of OLEDs. And as far as content, samething was said when the first 4K TV was announced but look at it now. I'm aware most are upscales and didnt even use 4K DI. But to the average consumer that dont matter.
And if, with 8K comes a better upconverting software that can do a better job of converting DVDs, BDs, and 4Ks then people will definitely buy it. Since they dont have to go out and buy the movies again.

Btw, how is 4K doing on the streaming side? (netflix, etc) That's something I'm not cought up on. Are they proper 4K with HDR or even those are just upscales?

I understand that but look how many people have bought 4K TVs. They've been quite cheap since last nov/dec. And i'm not talking about 80"+ TVs. I'm talking about your average 45-55" consumer. I dont even think they are even fully aware of OLEDs. And as far as content, samething was said when the first 4K TV was announced but look at it now. I'm aware most are upscales and didnt even use 4K DI. But to the average consumer that dont matter.
And if, with 8K comes a better upconverting software that can do a better job of converting DVDs, BDs, and 4Ks then people will definitely buy it. Since they dont have to go out and buy the movies again.

Btw, how is 4K doing on the streaming side? (netflix, etc) That's something I'm not cought up on. Are they proper 4K with HDR or even those are just upscales?
Again- if you buy an 8K Tv and your screen is not at least 150" - you will see ZERO difference.
Streaming is another giant ball of wax. They barely have the bandwidth for 4K. (Unless they start doing MEGA, MEGA Compression).

Reactions: AlienKing
It's typical though, with today's fast moving home theater technology HDTV's usually push out a new format when previous generation of televisions decline in price by 50% which is what they are almost at now. Yeah I'm sure they'll push out very high end consumer grade 8K TV's but there's NO players on the market for 8K yet. I mean there is barely any 4K players out now. I was just looking for a player that could support all formats of audio and video meaning Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos & DTS-X and there is only one player as far as I can find that will support them all and it's not even hit the market yet, you can only preorder it. So as far as 8K goes, why bother when there's really no market for it except the people that have to have the best of the best of the best. Reports show that in 2019, 34% of the US will own a 4K TV, so you see it's still taking off.

It's typical though, with today's fast moving home theater technology HDTV's usually push out a new format when previous generation of televisions decline in price by 50% which is what they are almost at now. Yeah I'm sure they'll push out very high end consumer grade 8K TV's but there's NO players on the market for 8K yet. I mean there is barely any 4K players out now. I was just looking for a player that could support all formats of audio and video meaning Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos & DTS-X and there is only one player as far as I can find that will support them all and it's not even hit the market yet, you can only preorder it. So as far as 8K goes, why bother when there's really no market for it except the people that have to have the best of the best of the best. Reports show that in 2019, 34% of the US will own a 4K TV, so you see it's still taking off.
The Oppo 203 covers all of those Audio and video formats, except HDR10+, which really doesn't matter since there is zero content in HDR10+ yet.
It is a direct competitor to Dolby Vision. It is being pushed by Samsung, Amazon and Panasonic, but has nowhere near the support that DV has.
B174726A-475D-451F-98AA-37BB8BF63B7A.jpeg

I know Oppo has ceased making players (to focus on cell phones) - but Cambridge 4K players should probably have the exact same specs (they seem like a carbon copy of the Oppo players).

The Oppo 203 covers all of those except HDR10+, which really doesn't matter since there is zero content in HDR10+ yet.
It is a direct competitor to Dolby Vision. It is being pushed by Samsung, Amazon and Panasonic, but has nowhere near the support that DV has.
View attachment 392844
I know Oppo has ceased making players (to focus on cell phones) - but Cambridge 4K players should probably have the exact same specs (they seem like a carbon copy of the Oppo players).
Yeah but Oppo stopped making there players unfortunately, otherwise I would have bought one already. The only ones you can find are like $1300 and I'm not paying that much for one.

I don't particularly care for Cambridge though, I had Cambridge speakers years ago and they were, well let's just say "not very good". I have my eye on this one though.
Yeah - that could be a great player. Be aware that (if this matters to you) it will not play SACD or DVD-A.
Otherwise, it has all the formats covered. (Of course, HDR10+ is moot unless you have a Samsung, Panasonic or Philips TV)