An American Werewolf in London (4K UHD) - Hand Transformation Statuette Limited Edition (Arrow Video) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: February 27, 2023
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £149.99
Notes: 4K UHD disc only - Limited to 1000

261338200_4952481974785757_8369697922280411501_n.jpg

Last edited:
Zavvi Exclusive Limited to 1000 Units

From one of the greatest directors of the 1980s, John Landis, and with landmark special makeup effects by Rick Baker, Zavvi presents a stunning, exclusive special entertainment set of the iconic ‘An American Werewolf in London’

Containing a new 4K Ultra HD Arrow Video release housed in the base of a collectable statuette, this zavvi exclusive limited edition collectors package is a must own!

The limited edition resin based statuette features a fantastic sculpt of the famous transformation hand mid-way through turning into the beast, which in turn is set into a London Underground themed base referencing the first kill of the unlucky late night office worker, and featuring a ‘See You Next Wednesday’ movie poster (a movie title gag used by John Landis in almost all his films to date)

• Statuette Size: Approx 22cm x 17cm x 25cm
  • Materials: Resin
Slipcase to contain 60pp booklet, 1X 15mm UHD case, poster

Final product subject to license approval

4K Ultra HD Limited Edition Contents

• Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films from the original camera negative
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-rayTM presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original uncompressed 1.0 mono and optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by Beware the Moon filmmaker Paul Davis
  • Audio commentary by actors David Naughton and Griffin Dunne
  • Mark of The Beast: The Legacy of the Universal Werewolf, a feature-length documentary by filmmaker Daniel Griffith, featuring interviews with John Landis, David Naughton, Joe Dante and more
  • An American Filmmaker in London, an interview with John Landis in which he reflects on British cinema and his time working in Britain
  • I Think He’s a Jew: The Werewolf’s Secret, a video essay by filmmaker Jon Spira (Elstree 1976) about how Landis’ film explores Jewish identity
  • The Werewolf’s Call, Corin Hardy, director of The Hallow and The Nun, chats with writer Simon Ward about their formative experiences with Landis’ film
  • Wares of the Wolf, a featurette in which SFX artist Dan Martin and Tim Lawes of Prop Store look at some of the original costumes and special effects artefacts from the film
  • Beware the Moon, Paul Davis’ acclaimed, feature-length exploration of Landis’ film which boasts extensive cast and crew interviews
  • An American Werewolf in Bob’s Basement and Causing a Disturbance: Piccadilly Revisited, two 2008 featurettes filmed by Paul Davis
  • Making An American Werewolf in London, a short archival featurette on the film’s production
  • An Interview with John Landis, a lengthy archival interview with the director about the film
  • Make-up Artist Rick Baker on An American Werewolf in London, the legendary make-up artist discusses his work on the film
  • I Walked with a Werewolf, an archival interview with Rick Baker about Universal horror and its legacy of Wolfman films
  • Casting of the Hand, archival footage from Rick Baker’s workshop showing the casting of David Naughton’s hand
  • Outtakes
  • Storyboards featurette
  • Original trailer and teaser plus TV and radio spots
  • Extensive image gallery featuring over 200 stills, posters and other ephemera
  • Double-sided fold-out poster
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
  • Limited edition 60-page, perfect-bound book featuring new writing by Craig Ian Mann and Simon Ward, archival articles and original reviews

Last edited:
It's a shame the 4k Arrow release is identical to the previous Arrow blu ray release ..
So basically one is paying £150 for the hand....

I would preferred a statuette of Jen Agutter's busums..

It's a shame the 4k Arrow release is identical to the previous Arrow blu ray release ..
So basically one is paying £150 for the hand....

I would preferred a statuette of Jen Agutter's busums..
The previous release was Blu-ray not 4K UHD

This is a 4K UHD release

There will also be 4K UHD edition later next year without the Statuette

I already have the LE Blu-ray from Arrow and steelbook along with the 4K release from Turbine which imo has much nicer art, so unless the art is different for the standalone 4K release I'll be giving this a miss.

I already have the LE Blu-ray from Arrow and steelbook along with the 4K release from Turbine which imo has much nicer art, so unless the art is different for the standalone 4K release I'll be giving this a miss.
Turbine release was not proper 4K UHD release
It was using the Universal DNR-ed remaster with fake grain added on and fake HDR.
Initially is was assumed the turbine release was using arrow 4K remaster but later this turned out to not be correct

Arrow release is using the 4K restoration that was done by arrow themselves
Turbine release does not use the arrow 4K restoration

Arrow 4K UHD release is using the arrow 4K restoration and includes Dolby Vision

The 2019 Blu-ray from Arrow used the 4K restoration

If you want the real 4K UHD release purchase this box set or wait for arrow release next year without the Statuette

Reactions: MM3 and Art3mis
Lol that hand :LOL:

Yea I’d take this without the hand statue. I’ll wait for next year then

It was using the Universal DNR-ed remaster with fake grain added on and fake HDR.
Initially is was assumed the turbine release was using arrow 4K remaster but later this turned out to not be correct

Arrow 4K UHD release is using the arrow 4K restoration and includes Dolby Vision

If you want the real 4K UHD release purchase this box set or wait for arrow release next year without the Statuette
Oh right ok, I didn't realise any of that and if I'm honest I've not watched the 4K copy of it yet.
Nevertheless it will still boil down to the choice of art on the release, can see it being like a few of their other releases with a few different options. So I'll more than likely be picking something up when they release it next year.

A bit sneaky of Turbine to pass it off as 4k
That said, it was a well put together set with good artwork and materials

Reactions: Robles
Would've been better with a statuette of the werewolf on the tube instead of the hand. A lot of money but the hand doesn't really look that enticing. Well, not to me at least