Anyone replace their TV with a projector/have a pj in the living room/apt?

bd251

Premium Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
Ohio, USA
I'm thinking about replacing my TV with a projector in the living room of my apartment. I'm concerned about how "normal TV watching" (for me that's Netflix) will look on the big screen. The reason I'd be REPLACING the TV is because my wife is excited about a projector instead of a TV because an electric/pull down screen mounted at the ceiling is more hidden than a TV on the wall. Viewing distance will be a little over 9 ft on a 100" screen. I'm also worried about ambient light as I can't make my room completely dark (that would become a priority though if I go this route). Does anyone have a similar setup?

Back story
So right now I have a 40" Samsung (LN40C630 from 2010) that is mounted above the fireplace. I was thinking about getting a larger TV and looking at prices recently for some of these new TVs with the really thin bezels and figured I could get a 46" (UN46F6300) or possibly push to a 50" and it would barely use any more room on the wall above the fireplace than what I have now and be roughly the 2013 equivalent of the 630 series.

I'm thinking about pairing a BenQ W1070 with an Elite Screens 100" acoustically transparent electric screen. I need an AT screen due to space limitations and would prefer an 84" or 92" but 100" is the smallest AT electric screen I can find. I might be able to get a smaller screen but it would require lots of convincing and compromise on the center speaker location.
I am mainly concerned about non HD content such as Netflix and how it will look on the big screen and if it will actually be watchable. Does anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
^^^ I actually have lots of input on this matter and some advice/input for you.... but Im short on time... will post later. I have first hand experience with the exact thing your looking to do... :)

Reactions: bd251
:LOL: can't wait for your input! I've actually been thinking about this setup and doing some research and I think now I might want to avoid the AT screen... Not sure tho...

I have a similar set up. I use to have a great 60 inch Samsung dlp in the living room and I replaced it with a projector (Viewsonic pro8200) which I put on my coffee table sitting about 13 feet back. I can't install a screen either since I'm renting so I use a Grandview 92 inch pull up screen sometimes when I want a larger display I just use my vanilla painted wall which gives me a really nice 106' image. I've accumulated over 900 hours on my projector without a hitch. My seating area is about 10x18 feet

Blu-Rays looks terrific using my Oppo 103 player. I also have a 7.1 audio set up. It's like having your own personal home theater.

If you have an hd cable box/signal watching prime time shows and sports on a big screen is awesome too! Especially If you like NFL Sundays or the NHL it simply can't be beat. :)

I ordered a 3D projector this week. I think it's time to take it to the next level ;)

Cheers!

Ok, so I completely forgot about this thread which is why I haven't replied. I basically did the exact same thing your looking to do and had some of the same questions you do now.

I went from 47" LCD tv setup to a 92" projector setup. In my case my setup is a fixed 92" AT grey screen with a Benq W1070. Basically the exact setup your looking do, same projector and all!!! Let me start off by saying I have had this setup for almost a year now and I have really enjoyed it *despite its shortcomings*. Yes, as with everything you have trade-off's and this is no different, in this case those trade-off's result in a big a$$ screen :D You have to decide wether its worth it or not for you.

As you eluded to not being able to make it dark all the time and having ambient light coming in to your area where the PJ will be... I have the same issue. In-fact I have two windows facing the screen, lol (worst case scenario pretty much). But I have found way's to mange the ambient light and balance things so that I can have some ambient light in the room while maintaining a nice level of picture quality (PQ from now on). First thing I did (and keep in mind these were my choices I made based on what I read, researched and saw on the net) was get a grey screen to help in boos perceived contrast and black levels to counter-act the ambient light that was going to be in the room. This has helped IMO a ton. Second thing I have done is I got a floor lamp with two directional head's on it. This may sound kinda' messed up but I actually like having light in the room when Im watching stuff unless Im trying to create a cinematic experience. So think sports, citcom's, etc.... I like to actually have the light on. The directional head floor lamp has allowed me to face the light towards the opposite corner of the room (dimmer bulb I might add though) from the screen and bounce light back into the room. By doing this I have light in the room and the PQ is maintained to I would say around about 80% of what you would get as if it were pitch dark. When I have day time ambient light I keep the room lights off and just simply face the blinds upwards towards the ceiling so that light pour's in but falls off as much as possible in the direction of the screen. I won't lie, on bright sunny day's my blinds are almost shut.

As you can see there is a trade-off there with the ambient light above and a PJ setup. You have to be able to live with this or this setup will be a fail for you. Now if you have windows that aren't directly facing your screen wall that will help a ton Im sure but you will still be faced with similar dilemma as above just not as bad as I have it.

Now to your concern of watching "lower quality" content on the PJ setup. I won't lie.... the PJ magnifies the problems with low quality content. Is it watchable? Yes, most of the time. Ill explain.... on lower quality content, say 480p or less I find that my eyes are willing to watch most things just fine but when "darker" scene's come up thats when the lower quality content start's to look like crap. No sugarcoating it. Dark scenes on LQ content looks like crap. In my time with my PJ setup I have found most content to be "acceptable" for me. Depending on how much content you watch in lower quality and personal level of acceptance to your eyes this is a personal decision that sadly you will have to find out first hand. My personal opinion.... Im ok to watch anything 480p or higher just fine... anything lower and I don't like it. I watch sports broadcast's with the lights full on and have no issues with the PQ I get.

Now on to screen size relative to space.... Im sitting about 11 feet away from the screen and the screen is perfect to me. I don't think I would go bigger at this distance but again.... personal preference.

The BenQ W1070 is a light cannon of a PJ. Seriously. It combats ambient light as good as any PJ out there and the PQ is something serious awesome IMO for the price. If you do turn out the lights.... its just amazing watching movies and 1080p content on it. And even with the lights on at around that 80% (my really ghetto guessing technique is where i got that #) it looks really-really good. I don't like 3D and don't care for it one bit... but just to test it the once to make sure it works I put in John Carter with some 3D glasses I bought from eBay for $30 and it seemed work pretty damn good. Rivalled any 3D content I have ever seen in theatre at the Cineplex's here in Canada. No aliasing issues I could see to my eyes. And the brightness for 3D was enough too. Oh and if your a gamer..... great response time from the PJ. :thumbs: No issues with lag gaming online in my personal experience.

And lastly, the never ending talk on forums about black levels on PJ's.... seriously effing' blown out of proportion. Now I didn't come from any kind of reference level plasma panel with insane black levels more rather just a normal consumer LCD tv and the black levels have been just fine for my personal self with this PJ. Sure, they suffer when you turn the lights on but then everything does with the lights on to a degree. I love the TDK Trilogy which are dark as **** and no complaints here. Tron Legacy... pretty dark movie... again no complaints on the black levels here. Oh and this PJ has pretty damn solid colours out of the box if you choose not to calibrate at all. Not something all PJ's can claim.

There is more I would like to say about all this but nothing more is coming out of my brain, lol. For me when I did the switch and forked out the coin (to me it was a lot of money) I was really nervous with no prior experience and in the end it worked out fine and I have been happy with it. Are there trade-off's like I said? Yes, absolutely. You have to adjust to the setup (mostly ambient light) and be willing to live with those trade-offs or you will be unhappy.

Ask any questions you like..... (and please excuse the surely poor grammar and spelling... was trying to get my thoughts out and into text as fast as possible!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu-devil and bd251
Oh and if you watch this video from 14:25 you see a small clip of me showing my PJ/Screen setup (92" AT Grey screen + BenQ W1070)

[media=youtube]wTdeUxbhTmQ[/media]?t=14m25s

In the spoiler bellow is a comparison picture of what a 47" LCD looks like compared to a 92" screen (I took the picture when I was test fitting some stuff in the room)

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jason for your detailed response! I do have one question (for now). What screen do you have? I know a grey screen would probably be better for living room use but I cant find one that won't cost more than the projector:( (AT and electric). I know I can't afford the best screen and will have to compromise a little there... But I'll be thinking of the screen as temporary anyway since I'll likely get a fixed screen when we eventually buy a house.

I was thinking about getting a smaller screen (around 84") that could drop in between my front speakers but then it would be a challenge mounting the pj at the correct throw (close enough) since I have to mount it from the back wall...

Thanks Jason for your detailed response! I do have one question (for now). What screen do you have? I know a grey screen would probably be better for living room use but I cant find one that won't cost more than the projector:( (AT and electric). I know I can't afford the best screen and will have to compromise a little there... But I'll be thinking of the screen as temporary anyway since I'll likely get a fixed screen when we eventually buy a house.

I was thinking about getting a smaller screen (around 84") that could drop in between my front speakers but then it would be a challenge mounting the pj at the correct throw (close enough) since I have to mount it from the back wall...

No problems on the questions... ask away.

The screen I have is nothing special to be honest. And from all the things I saw and read when I was looking to buy honestly there are lots of nice budget options for screens that will be just fine in use. A lot of chatter on the internet on screens will make you believe you need $2k screen but you don't. There were a coupler smaller mom and pop screen maker stores that were really good and you get a nice grey screen for under $200 but I have since lost all the links. But if you look around on AVS Forums you will find the threads for sure.

The exact screen I have is: "Draper AccuScreen 92" Fixed SoundScreen (Gray)"

Here is a link to it as well... (I got EXTREMELY LUCKY as a retailer was going out of business at time on Amazon and I got it for $105 shipped, but I think its roughly a $250 screen if its still around, might have gotten phased out now)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RHLU2I/?tag=hidefnin-20

I honestly can't help you on the AT + electric screens front.... I only ever looked into fixed screens myself as thats what I wanted. AVS Forum is your friend in this regards.... lots of useful info there you just have to put the time in and dig through it.

I would definitely get a grey screen though in your situation... will help tons with contrast, colours and black levels with ambient light.

JB I too have a BenQ W1070 and agree with your statement 100%. I have mine in combination with a 106" electric screen in matte White. I have absolutely no issues with black levels and contrast. When I'm watching a movie the blacks never strike me as appearing dark grey. I calibrated the picture and it looks phenomenal. 3D looks unbelievably good and wipes the floor with anything provided by your local multiplex. I also have a 3D Plasma and since getting this projector at the end of May this is now beginning to gather dust. I'm actually making a point of re watching all of my Blu-rays that's how great it is. I have a completely light controlled room so have no issues with extraneous light. My screen was quite inexpensive, however it looks great, I haven't watched any SD material on it yet. I'm planning to purchase a Pioneer SC2023 Receiver next month and it has great up scaling, maybe then I'll try DVDs.
Purchasing the W1070 and the screen was THE best thing I ever did. No more cinema for me.

imagejpg3_zpsbdd272da.jpg

imagejpg6_zpsb73af10f.jpg

The W1070 is for 2D & 3D viewing and the Hitachi PJ-TX200 is for HD cable viewing.
imagejpg2_zps3a8c02a9.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really thinking of getting a pj for my living room, I want to get an electric screen and basically use the pj for movies. I've got a 55" Samsung at the moment but really want that cinema feel in the comfort of my home. I was also looking at the BenqQ W1070.
Reading all your comments @Jason Bourne @Blu-devil makes me want to go get one tomorrow ;)

@DADDYCOOL187
You won't g wrong with the W1070. It's a great little PJ. I've been breaking mine in for a 100 hours and the picture is absolutely fantastic now. Minority Report looked mind blowingly good. The grain structure was intact and the blacks were gorgeous.
This definitely the one I'm gonna go for as it's within my budget and still have to find one negative review of it. Now it's about deciding on a a screen.

I'm really thinking of getting a pj for my living room, I want to get an electric screen and basically use the pj for movies. I've got a 55" Samsung at the moment but really want that cinema feel in the comfort of my home. I was also looking at the BenqQ W1070.

Reading all your comments @Jason Bourne @Blu-devil makes me want to go get one tomorrow ;)

w1070 is a great projector. I'm sure you will love it. I enjoyed the hell out of mine for the 1.5 years I had it but I went back to a TV setup as watching "TV" in the dark all the time just wasn't for me. My eyes would hurt and I would get head-ache's as a result. But that could just be me. If your ok with watching "TV" in a dim lit situation constantly I say go for it and replace your TV with it. After having a PJ I really do feel though a PJ should be complimentary to a TV and have both. That's how I would do it in the future anyway. PJ for movies and TV for the rest like sports, etc. There's no denying the huge screen that PJ's provide are hella' fun, nothing like it and the W1070 is as versatile as PJ as they come. I think I put about 2500 hours on mine before selling it and the bulb was still running strong! I really do think the bulb on that PJ will last 4000+ hours no problem.

w1070 is a great projector. I'm sure you will love it. I enjoyed the hell out of mine for the 1.5 years I had it but I went back to a TV setup as watching "TV" in the dark all the time just wasn't for me. My eyes would hurt and I would get head-ache's as a result. But that could just be me. If your ok with watching "TV" in a dim lit situation constantly I say go for it and replace your TV with it. After having a PJ I really do feel though a PJ should be complimentary to a TV and have both. That's how I would do it in the future anyway. PJ for movies and TV for the rest like sports, etc. There's no denying the huge screen that PJ's provide are hella' fun, nothing like it and the W1070 is as versatile as PJ as they come. I think I put about 2500 hours on mine before selling it and the bulb was still running strong! I really do think the bulb on that PJ will last 4000+ hours no problem.

That's the plan to keep my TV as is and the PJ for movies :thumbs: