Back To The Future Trilogy - 35th Anniversary Edition (4K+2D Blu-ray Box Set) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 19, 2020
Purchase links: Zoom - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £49.99

91EOtkapbrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Yes this blu ray box set is definitely the same transfers from the 25th anniversary set. Same vc1 encodes. Same bitrates. Same disc menu. No 4k remaster

UK the Blu-ray Discs included in the 4K UHD box set is the remastered discs
Blu-ray discs in the 4K Box set the codec reported by those who got delivery is showing as AVC

So it's only the UK £14.99 Blu-ray box set that has the old transfer discs using VC-1

Universal should do a replacement program fo those that purchased the Blu-ray only Box Set considering is advertised as newly remastered

I should have delivery on Monday of my Amazon order of the 4K UHD boxset

For those interested
There is a 35th Anniversary updated and revised edition of The Back to the Future Ultimate Visual History Book

Thread link below

Lot of reports the the Blu-ray discs in the Blu-ray only edition is not remastered discs even though the packaging list remastered but are actually same as the 25th Anniversary release VC-1 Coded discs just with new disc art
The only new disc is the extras disc

I hope the 4K edition not going to be the same and the Blu-ray discs included in that edition is not the 25th Anniversay VC-1 Discs transfer

Aw man. I ordered this set from Zavvi and it's already on the way. This is the set I was going to open.

I also picked up the Canadian Blu-ray Hoverboard set today. I haven't opened it. Now I wonder if the discs in that set have been remastered or not. I probably wouldn't even know what to look for on the discs or even when watching them.

Aw man. I ordered this set from Zavvi and it's already on the way. This is the set I was going to open.

I also picked up the Canadian Blu-ray Hoverboard set today. I haven't opened it. Now I wonder if the discs in that set have been remastered or not. I probably wouldn't even know what to look for on the discs or even when watching them.
UK 4K+Blu-ray editions (7 Discs) is not affected the Blu-ray discs in those releases has the newly remastered transfer as I already reported in post#22
The Blu-ray remastered transfer the film on those new discs the codec is AVC
The menu also different to older discs

It's only the £14.99 UK Blu-ray release (4 discs) release that is affected the films using VC-1 old 2010 transfer

USA/Canada Blu-ray only editions releases are not affected they have the new transfer

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
UK 4K+Blu-ray editions (7 Discs) is not affected the Blu-ray discs in those releases has the newly remastered transfer as I already reported in post#22
The Blu-ray remastered transfer the film on those new discs the codec is AVC
The menu also different to older discs

It's only the £14.99 UK Blu-ray release (4 discs) release that is affected the films using VC-1 old 2010 transfer

USA/Canada Blu-ray only editions releases are not affected they have the new transfer

Yeah it's the Blu-ray only set that I have coming from Zavvi. :( i guess I won't be opening that one.
I ordered that one because I liked the idea of the hubs that the discs snap onto instead of the sleeves in the North American sets.

I also have 2 of the Blu-ray Hoverboard sets from Canada so I guess I'll open one of those sets.

Yeah it's the Blu-ray only set that I have coming from Zavvi. :( i guess I won't be opening that one.
I ordered that one because I liked the idea of the hubs that the discs snap onto instead of the sleeves in the North American sets.

I also have 2 of the Blu-ray Hoverboard sets from Canada so I guess I'll open one of those sets.
When you get delivery
Contact Universal UK for replacement Blu-ray discs that have the newly remastered transfer

The UK Blu-ray only release has listed newly remastered on the back of that box set so it's meant to include that new transfer

As the UK 4K edition includes newly remastered transfer on the Blu-ray Discs included in the 4K box set
Universal UK can't tell you that blu-ray discs with new transfer don't exist

Not my photos
Correct Disc with new transfer Film Codec is AVC
DF8ED930-9BE8-47E7-9B5D-82E9E34A4191.jpeg

Disc that has wrong transfer
Film Codec is VC-1
323CB2F5-5480-4F82-B15A-53436BDCA164.jpeg

Note the disc that has older VC-1 transfer has G51 printed on it

Last edited:
When you get delivery
Contact Universal UK for replacement Blu-ray discs that have the newly remastered transfer

The UK Blu-ray only release has listed newly remastered on the back of that box set so it's meant to include that new transfer

As the UK 4K edition includes newly remastered transfer on the Blu-ray Discs included in the 4K box set
Universal UK can't tell you that blu-ray discs with new transfer don't exist

Not my photos
Correct Disc with new transfer Film Codec is AVC
View attachment 489302

Disc that has wrong transfer
Film Codec is VC-1
View attachment 489303

Note the disc that has older VC-1 transfer has G51 printed on it

Thank you Paul!

@Stygian and any other members who purchased the UK/Ireland 35th Anniversay Blu-ray only Box set

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment UK (UPHE UK) has identified an issue with the home entertainment release of Back to the Future Trilogy 35th Anniversary Edition on Blu-rayTM made available on October 12, 2020. The initial run of the film’s Blu-ray release inadvertently included previously available remastered film content instead of the newest remastered versions of the films as previously promoted, due to a production error. Our goal is to always deliver the best possible product to our consumers. To that end, a replacement program is being established in the UK to ensure that those who have purchased this recent release of Back to the Future Trilogy on Blu-ray receive a corrected disc.
This does not affect any 4K UHD releases which all include the correct discs already.

To receive updated Back to the Future Trilogy discs please email the following information:
• Your full postal address and name
• A copy of your sales receipt or a photo of the discs and the packaging

Please send the above requested information to the email address below:
[email protected]

Note this replacement program only applies if you purchased from a UK/Ireland Retailer

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
@Stygian and any other members who purchased the UK/Ireland 35th Anniversay Blu-ray only Box set

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment UK (UPHE UK) has identified an issue with the home entertainment release of Back to the Future Trilogy 35th Anniversary Edition on Blu-rayTM made available on October 12, 2020. The initial run of the film’s Blu-ray release inadvertently included previously available remastered film content instead of the newest remastered versions of the films as previously promoted, due to a production error. Our goal is to always deliver the best possible product to our consumers. To that end, a replacement program is being established in the UK to ensure that those who have purchased this recent release of Back to the Future Trilogy on Blu-ray receive a corrected disc.
This does not affect any 4K UHD releases which all include the correct discs already.

To receive updated Back to the Future Trilogy discs please email the following information:

[email protected]

Note this replacement program only applies if you purchased from a UK/Ireland Retailer

Excellent news, thank you Paul.

[email protected]

I bought the Blu-Ray Trilogy set as a gift for someone, a family member who's birthday is coming up.

I sent the Amazon UK invoice and details of where the replacement discs need to be sent - as per the post above and I got an automated reply that says this:

Dear Customer,

We apologise for the disc error on Back To The Future, however we are only able to accept requests from customers who purchased their products from UK retailers and which are certified for UK and ROI. Please contact local UPHE office for your territory for further information.’’

Kind regards,
Sony DADC on behalf of Universal Pictures UK

Please note this address is for customers who purchased their products from UK or Irish retailers only.

Please contact the local Universal office or retailer for your territory for further information, we unfortunately cannot comment on any processes outside UK and do not have contact details.

So what does this mean? I'm somehwat perplexed by this response. I DID buy my set from a UK retailer - Amazon!

I bought the Blu-Ray Trilogy set as a gift for someone, a family member who's birthday is coming up.

I sent the Amazon UK invoice and details of where the replacement discs need to be sent - as per the post above and I got an automated reply that says this:

Dear Customer,

We apologise for the disc error on Back To The Future, however we are only able to accept requests from customers who purchased their products from UK retailers and which are certified for UK and ROI. Please contact local UPHE office for your territory for further information.’’

Kind regards,
Sony DADC on behalf of Universal Pictures UK

Please note this address is for customers who purchased their products from UK or Irish retailers only.

Please contact the local Universal office or retailer for your territory for further information, we unfortunately cannot comment on any processes outside UK and do not have contact details.

So what does this mean? I'm somehwat perplexed by this response. I DID buy my set from a UK retailer - Amazon!
All have been getting that email even those that are based in UK and purchased from a UK retailer

Just reply to the email pointing out you did purchase from a UK retailer and is entitled to get the replacement discs

Reactions: kipper15
All have been getting that email even those that are based in UK and purchased from a UK retailer

Just reply to the email pointing out you did purchase from a UK retailer and is entitled to get the replacement discs

Thanks Paul, I've done just that. And re-sent the invoice, pointing out the Amazon UK address where it says "Sold By" on it!

Do you have any indication as to when the replacement discs will be available? I presume they are available now and it's just a case of getting round to shipping them I hope!

Reactions: paulboland
Thanks Paul, I've done just that. And re-sent the invoice, pointing out the Amazon UK address where it says "Sold By" on it!

Do you have any indication as to when the replacement discs will be available? I presume they are available now and it's just a case of getting round to shipping them I hope!
Blu-ray discs using the remastered transfer exist now as they are already included with 4K release so should be straight forward in sending replacements

Sony DADC still to ship Psycho discs replacements

With Covid-19 you can expect delay in getting these replacement discs sent so hard to say for sure when they will be shipped

Warner are lot quicker sending replacements compared to Universal

If this had of been a warner releasse you would get replacement delivered in 1-2 days

• Thanks
Reactions: kipper15

[email protected]

Looks like I won't have to contact Universal about the replacement discs after all. I haven't received my set from Zavvi yet so I just requested a refund through chat which should be processed in 3-5 days.

Eventually I'll open up one of the Hoverboard editions I purchased from Sunrise Records here in Canada.