Batman (1989) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Titans of Cult Exclusive #9) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: March 22, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - The Entertainment Store (eBay) (Pre-order on February 15)
Price: £29.99 (Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - eBay) - £30.00 (Amazon)

148526315_504232367640287_1286063053989270317_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean you're wrong regarding the literal definition, but you're welcome to your own opinion on the classification of the film itself..

A 'cult' following has no baring on popularity or the size of the following. It's to do with the intensity and passion that following exhibits.

It is often affiliated with what would generally considered unpopular or niche subject matters, but that is by no means a requirement.
I'm literally correct with my definition:

Cult Following Definition - Dictionary.com

cult classic
A film that has a passionate fan base despite lacking critical acclaim, box office success, and/or mainstream interest.

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show," "The Big Lebowski," and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" are often cited as examples of cult classics. A lot of cult classics are considered to be "so bad they're good.

cult film
A film that has a passionate fan base despite lacking critical acclaim, box office success, and/or mainstream interest.

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show," "The Big Lebowski," and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" are often cited as examples of cult films. A lot of cult films are considered to be "so bad they're good."

cult following
Collectively, the passionate fans of a film, TV show, book, or other creative work, typically one that has not had mainstream success. How did "Twin Peaks" manage to create a cult following in just two seasons?

• Haha
Reactions: BluCrazy2
cult following
Collectively, the passionate fans of a film, TV show, book, or other creative work, typically one that has not had mainstream success. How did "Twin Peaks" manage to create a cult following in just two seasons?
I think the key word there is TYPICALLY, meaning it's not a prerequisite. If there is a collective of truly passionate and compulsive fans (perhaps to near religious proportions - since that was the original use of the term) for any subject matter, then it in turn can be considered to have a cult following.

Anyway, what constitutes a "cult film" is up for debate and subjective opinion. What is not up for debate is that bloody Batman has a cult following, because it most certainly does. The same could be said countless other examples, regardless of how much they've now been dragged into the mainstream.

I think pretty much anything released by Arrow or Shout Factory are mostly cult. This definitely isn't though. Not that it's a reliable source, but it isn't even on the wikipedia list of cult movies... ;)

I don't think ANY of the ToC series are cult films tbh, not even close.... maybe at a stretch, Blade Runner is.

Reactions: MM3
Maybe ‘cult’ has nothing to do with the films themselves. Rather they are producing steelbooks with non conventional art to generate a small devoted cult following. That would allow them to choose blockbusters but still qualify as a cult steelbook. Ironic?

Maybe ‘cult’ has nothing to do with the films themselves. Rather they are producing steelbooks with non conventional art to generate a small devoted cult following. That would allow them to choose blockbusters but still qualify as a cult steelbook. Ironic?
I'd come to that conclusion as well. It's probably a line showing "cult" like dedication to cinema in general. Displaying attention to detail to create the unique packages and steelbook designs they come up with. Sounds plausible and in line with the way they talk about their products.

Reactions: shane54 and Noodles
I'm literally correct with my definition:

Cult Following Definition - Dictionary.com

cult classic

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show," "The Big Lebowski," and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" are often cited as examples of cult classics. A lot of cult classics are considered to be "so bad they're good.

cult film

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show," "The Big Lebowski," and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" are often cited as examples of cult films. A lot of cult films are considered to be "so bad they're good."

cult following
Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Jesus Christ you guys are stupid arguing if Batman is cult classic. They have released titles such as wonder woman, Goodfellas and Mad Max ******* Fury Road. They are as much your typical cult classic as ******* Endgame is.

• Haha
Reactions: MM3
Most of their movies are not cult classics, but maybe they want to be a steelbook company that produces cult steelbooks? Interesting take.

Jesus Christ you guys are stupid arguing if Batman is cult classic. They have released titles such as wonder woman, Goodfellas and Mad Max ******* Fury Road. They are as much your typical cult classic as ******* Endgame is.
It's how we entertain ourselves during the pandemic. :rofl: