Brotherhood of the Wolf - original title: Le Pacte des Loups - 20th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Collector's Edition) [France]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: October 21, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon FR - FNAC
Price: €49.99
Note: First SteelBook for this awesome movie. Metropolitan release, so should be glossy. This collector's edition is a 5-disc set: the movie in 4K, BD, 3 DVDs, a booklet and a slipbox.

81ixQ2Gv+EL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wow this unlocked a memory. Got this on DVD somewhere. Fantastic film but I completely forgot about it. Although I’d only purchase with the English title brotherhood of the wolf

Reactions: Dirk69
Must watch this before it´s out. I made a preorder coz it looks great, but I see mixed reviews from my friends so I must check myself. Is it true the digital effects here are terrible?

Must watch this before it´s out. I made a preorder coz it looks great, but I see mixed reviews from my friends so I must check myself. Is it true the digital effects here are terrible?
They possibly haven’t aged well. It’s been years since I last watched it. Over 16 years ago. At the time it was incredible. But being 2001 then you just know those CGI effects will look... wet

Reactions: Hereticz
Previously the Blu-ray release from metropolitan had English subtitles, so the 4k disc should have them
That's something, thanks. Now here's also hoping that this will have a good new transfer. The only other recent release of this film I'm aware of is the Shout BD in the US, which apparently was based on an older master and does not look great.

There are three distinct and very different versions of the film:
  • The original French/US theatrical cut, running 143 minutes (sometimes listed as 142 minutes).
  • The UK cut, running 139 minutes, released on home video in the UK and Australia; in this version, all the scenes involving the Royal Hunter Beauterne are removed and some scenes from "Director's Cut" are added in.
  • The "Director's Cut", running 150 minutes (sometimes listed as 152 minutes), released on home video in France and Canada in 2002, and later in the US and other territories.

THE DIRECTOR'S CUT adds about eight minutes of scenes in two small blocks in the middle. Among them is a SINGLE scene that almost entirely changes the hero's motivation. The Director's Cut radically changes the movie. The Theatrical Cut is the essential version

The UK CUT adds some of the scenes that would eventually find their way into the Director's Cut, but entirely deletes the subplot with the Royal Hunter. That deletion was undone for the Director's Cut, so clearly the filmmakers agreed that cutting it was a mistake.

So will this edition have all three versions? So far it appears that there are no English subs.

Arrived today from fnac. Nice set, pretty steelbook (fully glossy)... but, yeah... no subtitles. Like, at all. I mean, it was a bit of a gamble to hope for English (or German) subs, but the French dont even give a fook about their own minorities. It's so typically uninclusive.
Well, I'm still gonna keep it. Maybe I'll watch it and try get through with my school French (it's not like I haven't seen it before), or I'll put it on and french with someone, I don't know. Maybe there will come along a different 4k release in the future I can out into this set.
4k restoration looks lovely, btw. Won't drop any jaws, but certainly the best version available so far I'd guess.

Granted, UK and US boutique labels usually feature only English language options, for instance, but at the very least they include subs for the hearing impaired. And in the US there's also often Spanish included, because, well, obviously? And broader releases in other countries always come with multiple options (which might of course have more to do with authoring identical discs for release in various markets).
I dont know. Recent boutique releases in Germany of German films often include English language options, even dubbings. But it's true, also not always.
Pacte des Loups is such a huge and international film, though, and the label not that small. And the shoe just fits. Ever been to France and tried to speak English? :naughty:

Granted, UK and US boutique labels usually feature only English language options, for instance, but at the very least they include subs for the hearing impaired. And in the US there's also often Spanish included, because, well, obviously? And broader releases in other countries always come with multiple options (which might of course have more to do with authoring identical discs for release in various markets).
I dont know. Recent boutique releases in Germany of German films often include English language options, even dubbings. But it's true, also not always.
Pacte des Loups is such a huge and international film, though, and the label not that small. And the shoe just fits. Ever been to France and tried to speak English? :naughty:
Sometimes there never seems to a real rhyme or reason. I recently upscaled a DVD set of a U.S. TV show. And the only subtitle options on this particular show are English (of course), and....PORTUGUESE?! Why Portuguese?!
E085EB46-C7EE-49AF-B415-D3A7149159F9.gif