Calling it quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2022
I only started collecting steelbooks last December. I picked the Game of Thrones set up for £105 (French one) and then the Harry Potter 4K steelbook set for £146. I should have left it there.

I now have several sets and many single steelbooks, including the protector cases cost. I bought Jurassic World 4K steelbook on e-bay this week and the item was supposed to be new. It arrived without the J Card, in terrible condition scratched to hell, marked and dirty. I returned it and opened a PayPal case. The problem is the seller provided the return's label, and so they have the tracking number. I can't prove to PayPal that I returned it (even though I can prove it was collected.) I show the damage, I can show the parcel photographs. They don't care!

Today I received the Jurassic Park 4K steelbook, new and sealed, it's dented in three places! Sigh. That's the final straw. I won't be buying any more steelbooks and I'm looking to buy mailers and bubble wrap to offload the ones I have. I'm gonna try and return the JP steelbook, as I would to any company if it was dented.

What's the point of this thread? To vent. But also, to ask any of you if you're close to calling it quits.

I am also out of the game for similar reasons. Will soon be offloading 500ish steelbooks.
Too much stress and hassle with damage and customer support and customs... can't do it anymore.

Reactions: StevenPosts
I agree. 500+ steelbooks, that must have given you some nightmares over the years. I could continue but if I re-order the two JP steels, the same issue could occur. That's the problem with buying on the secondary market.

Personally I haven't had a lot of problems with Steelbooks arriving damaged, mainly because I don't normally buy them second hand and buy little in the official market, the prices are simply insane in the second hand market to me to risk it coming damaged/not as described and, as with everything, preorders tend to vanish quite fast because of scalpers so yeah, I don't get a chance to buy a lot of them.

Anyway, I understand and agree with you that it is not acceptable to pay a lot for a product only for it to come damaged and/or not as described in the second hand market or from the original retailers/sellers.

Reactions: StevenPosts
I think I'm gonna try the spoon trick and see if it fixes the dents. Apparently if you remove the plastic inside, you can use the back of a spoon to smooth the dents out. Will it work? Not sure.

UPDATE. I tried to the spoon trick, don't let anyone tell you that works, it doesn't! Even if the dent comes out, you can still see the mark on the other side of the steelbook. Also, if you're not careful it creates new dents, because the metal is SUPER THIN. I could order another one but if that comes damaged? A third? A fourth? Plus there is only one Jurassic World 4K steel that is still sealed on e-bay. The odds of getting it mint are low. I could order the new ones from Coolshop BUT they're £35 each and they will likely arrive damaged too. Plus I prefer the black ones. Yep, time to call it quits. I have 1500 films on digital anyway. Hopefully I'll get most of my money back, although that is doubtful because no matter what anyone says, steelbooks, secondhand, do not hold their value. The case editions, HP, GoT etc. always have scratches on the bottom.

i feel you. i've slowed down to where i don't jump at new steelbook announcements due to waiting to see actual photos or unboxings. also, steelbook art isn't consistently attention worthy or artful, can't put it words right now, but the art needs to improve or look back some years at earlier steelbooks when they were going all out to create a market.

Unless the seller puts up detailed pictures of their items and any issues. Don't purchase.... If I sell a steelbook I always put up detailed pictures and then mail in a protective box giving the buyer detailed images of the packaging. If a seller is not prepared to go to that trouble to let you know what you are purchasing. Avoid.... That's one of the reasons I like purchasing opened steelbooks because you know what you are getting. Unopened and there is an issue, no comeback...

"Unless the seller puts up detailed pictures of their items and any issues. Don't purchase.... If I sell a steelbook I always put up detailed pictures and then mail in a protective box giving the buyer detailed images of the packaging. If a seller is not prepared to go to that trouble to let you know what you are purchasing. Avoid.... That's one of the reasons I like purchasing opened steelbooks because you know what you are getting. Unopened and there is an issue, no comeback..."

That's true, the seller who sold me Jurassic World had a generic poster image. I feel like an idiot for being conned. The other seller (of Jurassic Park) showed photos on Amazon and the steelbook arrived new and sealed. It was dented under the J Card, in three places. Plus the top enclosure is bent. I got too cocky because before this I've only had to do three returns for scratches and the rest arrived mint, including the HP set, GoT and Hobbit / LOTR. But getting the black JP steels is impossible now, any opened ones on e-bay are badly scratched and / or dented. Did they arrive like that? Or do people just not look after things? Sealed ones, do you keep buying them until you get a good one? Sadly, I'm not a millionaire.

The Coolshop ones could come mint, they could be damaged and sell out, why do we put ourselves through this?

Christ, I didn’t realise you’d set up a whole topic on this…

Sounds a litter bitter after receiving that JP steelbook damaged. Mine turned up absolutely fine even though it was in a jiffy, so you just got unlucky.

Also, you’ve been a member here for less than a week and already you’re quitting the game!?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Billy Talent
Due to employment changes I couldn't keep buying at the rate I once did...but I'll never be trueky out.
Just more picky on the few steels j have (both for price and space reasons - live in a tiny terrace now so less space for them....plus 2-300 steels is the sweet spot for me)

Reactions: Billy Talent
Status
Not open for further replies.