Casablanca - 80th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Ultimate Collector's Edition) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 7, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £39.99

91qEOzsmO0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Casablanca Front.jpg Casablanca Back.jpg Casablanca Open.jpg Casablanca Inside.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: djjez83 and GenPion
It's a 80 year old film audio has always been mono 1.0

Why on earth would you expect dolby atmos lol

It was a joke! You know…the :) was supposed to give it away.

Although, if we are going to get serious…

The Terminator was theatrically released in mono, but the blu ray only has a 5.1 soundtrack. (A rather poor one I think)

Oh but that’s an 80s movie, you say?

What about Psycho? 1960, black and white, DTS:X soundtrack.

Admittedly once you go back to black and white movies made before 1960, finding multichannel soundtracks becomes much more difficult. But there is Metropolis, 1927 (!) with a 5.1 soundtrack.

So if Psycho and Metropolis can have surround,I don’t think it would be sacrilege to give Casablanca a surround treatment, as long as the original mono was included. I don’t need or even want it, but now I am rather curious to imagine hearing the plane flying overhead.

• Informative
Reactions: RMA and GeoRattray
It was a joke! You know…the :) was supposed to give it away.

Although, if we are going to get serious…

The Terminator was theatrically released in mono, but the blu ray only has a 5.1 soundtrack. (A rather poor one I think)

Oh but that’s an 80s movie, you say?

What about Psycho? 1960, black and white, DTS:X soundtrack.

Admittedly once you go back to black and white movies made before 1960, finding multichannel soundtracks becomes much more difficult. But there is Metropolis, 1927 (!) with a 5.1 soundtrack.

So if Psycho and Metropolis can have surround,I don’t think it would be sacrilege to give Casablanca a surround treatment, as long as the original mono was included. I don’t need or even want it, but now I am rather curious to imagine hearing the plane flying overhead.
Fyi - METROPOLIS was a newly recorded orchestral performance, not the original one.

Reactions: jaws finatic
Fyi - METROPOLIS was a newly recorded orchestral performance, not the original one.
I would imagine they were true to the original source material?

They also did something similar with JAWS, altho they utterly bastardized the Academy Award winning sound and replaced it with something that caused the outcry and ire of all JAWS fans across the galaxy.

I would imagine they were true to the original source material?

They also did something similar with JAWS, altho they utterly bastardized the Academy Award winning sound and replaced it with something that caused the outcry and ire of all JAWS fans across the galaxy.
Usually they try to be. (Like the remastered Star Trek TOS Blu-ray - The opening theme on every episode is a newly performed version. but you'd never know)
I actually haven't looked at the new JAWS 4k. That is very disappointing to hear. My position is – if you want to do a new version that's fine, as long as you make the original version available as well. Especially if it's an Oscar winning film.
A couple of my big beefs is when a movie is only available in it's new form not the form that actually won the Oscar:
For about 10 years the only version of Dances With Wolves that was available was the producer's extended cut (which, in my opinion, completely destroys the movie) NOT the version that won Best Picture. Heresy. (The original theatrical cut has finally been released thank goodness-but odds are most people will come across extended cotton which is just terrible).
I had to track down a fan edit version of AMADEUS- Where they put back together the original theatrical cut. Again, the only version out there was an extended cut.... of a movie that won for BEST EDITING!! (As well as Best Picture). so the version that one for best editing and best picture is not out there. Heresy. (there are rumors that Criterion is working on a theatrical cut release. fingers crossed that they do it… And also that they don't regrade it into a teal-heavy transfer like they've been doing for the last few years). No more teal!!!

Usually they try to be. (Like the remastered Star Trek TOS Blu-ray - The opening theme on every episode is a newly performed version. but you'd never know)
I actually haven't looked at the new JAWS 4k. That is very disappointing to hear. My position is – if you want to do a new version that's fine, as long as you make the original version available as well. Especially if it's an Oscar winning film.
A couple of my big beefs is when a movie is only available in it's new form not the form that actually won the Oscar:
For about 10 years the only version of Dances With Wolves that was available was the producer's extended cut (which, in my opinion, completely destroys the movie) NOT the version that won Best Picture. Heresy. (The original theatrical cut has finally been released thank goodness-but odds are most people will come across extended cotton which is just terrible).
I had to track down a fan edit version of AMADEUS- Where they put back together the original theatrical cut. Again, the only version out there was an extended cut.... of a movie that won for BEST EDITING!! (As well as Best Picture). so the version that one for best editing and best picture is not out there. Heresy. (there are rumors that Criterion is working on a theatrical cut release. fingers crossed that they do it… And also that they don't regrade it into a teal-heavy transfer like they've been doing for the last few years). No more teal!!!

I consider all of these errors bombastically ignorant toward the history of film, and the preservation of the original intent. Just awful IMO.

I believe they did this teal nonsense with the scifi classic Westworld as well on blu ray.

Last edited:
I consider all of these errors bombastically ignorant toward the history of film, and the preservation of the original intent. Just awful IMO.
And the worst part is sometimes the filmakers themselves are in on it. Criterion has a bunch of films that were tinkered with By the directors.
The Coen brothers famously altered the MILLER's CROSSING Criterion. I'll be keeping my earlier steel book of that movie instead of the Criterion.
....and really the only way to see the original version of BLOOD SIMPLE is on lasedisc.

Reactions: jaws finatic
Reactions: Strife88x
3-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition Includes:

• Steelbook
  • Rigid Slipcase
  • 32-Page Vintage Pressbook
  • 2-Sided Poster
  • 7 Art Card Reproductions: 3 Lobby Cards, 3 Location/Blueprint Sketches, Letter of Transit
  • Custom Envelope
Special Features:

• Introduction by Lauren Bacall
  • Two Separate Commentaries: Roger Ebert and Film Historian Rudy Behlmer
Also on Blu-ray:

• Michael Curtiz: The Greatest Director You Never Heard Of
  • Casablanca: An Unlikely Classic
  • Warner Night at the Movies Great Performances: Bacall on Bogart
  • You Must Remember This: A Tribute to Casablanca
  • As Time Goes By: The Children Remember
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes
  • Cartoons
  • Audio-Only Scoring Stage Sessions
  • 19/11/47 Vox Pop Radio Broadcast
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • Added Bonus Disc:
  • You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story
  • The Brothers Warner
  • Jack L. Warner: The Last Mogul Documentary
  • And More

Also available from HMV
£39.99

When Amazon UK eventually goes live the price might be higher as in be listed as RRP but will be £39.99 or less before release date
You auto get the lower price when you pre order and price then drops

As Amazon only take payment when dispatching you won't end paying RRP

wanted to pull the trigger on this one, but the steelbook just not doing it for me to get it at this price, maybe i can get it if a price drop happens one day if available.

Better images are available in Zavvi's listing including front, back and inside of the steelbook as well as the other items.

And the worst part is sometimes the filmakers themselves are in on it. Criterion has a bunch of films that were tinkered with By the directors.
The Coen brothers famously altered the MILLER's CROSSING Criterion. I'll be keeping my earlier steel book of that movie instead of the Criterion.
....and really the only way to see the original version of BLOOD SIMPLE is on lasedisc.
Nothing wrong with alts as long as THE ORIGINAL VERSION is there. It's when they don't put the original version on fans get unset. Take the superb alternative Day of the Daleks with superb effects upgrades and new sound, it's fantastic, but the purists get the original version on a seperate disc. All they have to do then is hire a 405 line mono TV and they are laughing complete with horizontal hold....

Reactions: RMA and Granada