Cloverfield (15th Anniversary) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 16, 2023
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on November 24, at 9 AM for Red Carpet, at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £32.99

cloverfield_3-1024x525.jpg

Last edited:
Well, doesn't look as if Zavvi will be changing that price.
It's concerning that the mock up has the 4K banner printed onto the PET slip on both the complete shot and the half removed - wonder if that'll change. Not a good precedent for future releases if it's manufactured like that.
The US release only has the banner on the complete pack shot and the French not at all.
Just a thought...

Well, doesn't look as if Zavvi will be changing that price.
It's concerning that the mock up has the 4K banner printed onto the PET slip on both the complete shot and the half removed - wonder if that'll change. Not a good precedent for future releases if it's manufactured like that.
The US release only has the banner on the complete pack shot and the French not at all.
Just a thought...
It will almost certainly just be a Jcard. Right...

Not ordering... I still have a sealed play.com Cloverfield steelbook. There comes a point where you have to make stand or Zavvi will have us all touching our toes with our trousers around our ankles and I for one do not want to be diddled

Cabin In The Woods 4k was cheaper and they've already dropped the price on that, people just don't have the expendable income right now.

Not ordering... I still have a sealed play.com Cloverfield steelbook. There comes a point where you have to make stand or Zavvi will have us all touching our toes with our trousers around our ankles and I for one do not want to be diddled

You're a Star Wars Fan. You've already been diddled lots.

Why don't you open it?

I haven't opened any of my steelbooks.. I started off collecting them because I liked the metal boxes and was buying Blu-rays with he intention of making a Plex server. I'm now at over 400 steelbook titles all sealed with an extra couple of hundred doubles because I often order 2 or 3 if I like the art and want to make sure I get one in good condition (yesterday I discovered I had 3 copies of each of Zavvi Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine, Master and Commander, Jurassic Park and the Terminator I forgot I had... my steelbooks are stored in really useful boxes in a spare room until I buy a house)

I haven't opened any of my steelbooks.. I started off collecting them because I liked the metal boxes and was buying Blu-rays with he intention of making a Plex server. I'm now at over 400 steelbook titles all sealed with an extra couple of hundred doubles because I often order 2 or 3 if I like the art and want to make sure I get one in good condition (yesterday I discovered I had 3 copies of each of Zavvi Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine, Master and Commander, Jurassic Park and the Terminator I forgot I had... my steelbooks are stored in really useful boxes in a spare room until I buy a house)
This makes me sad. Having all those steels, locked away. Sealed and unappreciated. I mean people can collect how ever they want, but to buy them, leave them sealed and in storage boxes. What's the point.

Reactions: crib79
Even with tax, the US edition would be no more than about $22 depending on local sales tax.
It was $17.57 yesterday on amazon (now changed to $19.94).
If those interested preorder it now, they will charge you those 17.57, which is like £14. And there are no tax states, like Delaware, where most of the freight forwarders located. If you gather a couple of dozen discs for combined shipping, it won't cost you more, than $2-3 for each to be shipped.
And you can mark them at $3 each to avoid customs.

Reactions: MM3
This makes me sad. Having all those steels, locked away. Sealed and unappreciated. I mean people can collect how ever they want, but to buy them, leave them sealed and in storage boxes. What's the point.

Oh, they won't be locked away forever. I currently move around a lot for work. When I settle I'll hopefully buy a house and the idea is to have them all on shelves. I'm still not sure I'll ever open them because of their value but started collecting steelbooks in 2014 with the intention of opening them and copying the video files to a series of hard drives and using Plex to make my own version of Netflix with stuff I actually want to watch..
I'll still make the Plex server but I'll likely end up buying used Blu-rays now to copy to the server

Oh, they won't be locked away forever. I currently move around a lot for work. When I settle I'll hopefully buy a house and the idea is to have them all on shelves. I'm still not sure I'll ever open them because of their value but started collecting steelbooks in 2014 with the intention of opening them and copying the video files to a series of hard drives and using Plex to make my own version of Netflix with stuff I actually want to watch..
I'll still make the Plex server but I'll likely end up buying used Blu-rays now to copy to the server
But leaving steelbooks sealed you’re still missing out on things like the inside artwork, surely..

Glad people are starting to see the complete saturation of the steelbook market now and the frankly absurd prices being charged and wising up to it all.

I still collect, but absolutely cannot justify buying every film released, just because it’s on steelbook. There are that many out there now its not even a special way to own a film now, which goes against why I started collecting in the first instance.

Makes FAR more sense IMO to buy standard blu ray versions of the films that you can get for a fraction of the price of steelbooks, and only buy steelbooks of ‘special’ films, or films as part of a series.
As a movie lover, the idea of owning a steelbook for a film is a way of showing my love for the movies, but it’s insane to expect anyone to buy steelbooks for every movie under the sun, for crazy prices.