Coming soon: Netflix 1080i streaming, disc free, 5.1 on PS3

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
I know the "disc free" part was known, but the other stuff is pretty cool...

Per Engadget HD:

Rejoice, PS3 owners, your Netflix streaming experience just got vastly better than anything else on the market. Starting October 18 Netflix on the PS3 will no longer require a disc, and it'll stream some content with 1080i resolution and / or 5.1-channel surround audio, while everyone else will be stuck with a max of 720p stereo for the time being. Oh, and you'll get subtitles on some content as well. Netflix is partnering with Dolby on the audio side, and the surround format will be Dolby Digital Plus, which is the same codec used by the VUDU HDX streaming service -- we're guessing it'll require a tiny bit more bandwidth but the results should sound pretty great. Netflix says 5.1 will come to other platforms "over time," so we'll see how long that takes -- and given that the PS3 is now disc-free and the company's eschewed the SRS surround features baked into its Silverlight-based platform, we're guessing Microsoft's exclusivity period has now completely run its course. Video and PR after the break.

Update: Hacking Netflix reports "7.1" sound. Maybe just on some things. Not sure, but FYI.

Last edited:
great news! Love the subtitles! sometimes i just cant put a movie on full blast and wished subtitles would be available so its good to hear it'll be available.

Yes, this is very cool. Actually what's weird is right after I got a note from Hackingnetflix, and they said sound would be up to 7.1. Maybe on some things...not sure....either way, I am stoked!:)

DB

ok,
works great, i watched a movie and not one pause, or stutter if you know what i mean. i try from netflix from samsung apps on either tv or my samsung blu ray, constant stutter, totally pizzes me off, thank you Sony ;) , oh, and net flix too lol