Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: July 18, 2022
Purchase link: SteelBook only - Collector's Edition (Pre-order on June 11, at 9 AM for Red Carpet, at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £32.99 (SteelBook) - £49.99 (Collector's Edition)
Notes: Collector’s Edition includes a 72-page booklet, art cards and slipcase

Steelbook only.jpg Collector's Edition.jpg

Front.jpg Back.jpg Inside.jpg

Last edited:
What do people prefer out of interest when viewing their MCU films? Proper 4K on a physical disc or D+ streaming 4K but with the IMAX ratio?
The IMAX versions, easily. They look notably sharper and the larger image is much more impactful. It's even better if you manage to procure a copy with DV, that has the lossless atmos track muxed in. No dark D+ filter to contend with then either.

Yes it a compressed video stream, but it's not noticeable imo. Particularly as Disney's UHD discs aren't exactly top tier anyway. Bitrates are soso and no DV, so little to loose.

• Informative
Reactions: tommyh84
What do people prefer out of interest when viewing their MCU films? Proper 4K on a physical disc or D+ streaming 4K but with the IMAX ratio?
I’m a mix now. So both. 4K because it looks better (for me) but now also watching them in the imax ratio to get the whole film. I was very impressed with the Dr strange being the whole film in imax

I wish we could have the 4k Imax scenes on steel but it will never happen

• Informative
Reactions: tommyh84
You will be left waiting
The IMAX enhanced Full screen version is exclusive to Disney+

None of the other IMAX enhanced Full screen versions that's on Disney+ has got a Physical Media release

£32.99 has always been the price for UK Disney 4K UHD steelbooks since Disney started to provide 4K UHD Discs with new film releases

It's back catalogue films from Disney that later got a 4K UHD steelbook release or a re-release that had prices of £24.99 to £29.99
I never said i was waiting for imax discs. Am well aware those are long done with sadly.

As for 4k, I don't have any use for 4k AND am sure they were 29.99 vs 3d at 24.99 initially, which further adds to my disdain paying over £30 for a standard steel when I can only make use of the one disc.
Spiderman aside, the only phase 4 steels i have were £26 for the EU(German I think) edition off amazon and am still missing Eternals (not bit the bullet on that one yet) and now this. Am not paying anymore for them.

So loss of 3d disc and being forced to pay more for a format I have no interest in (outside of gaming) am about done.
I'd rather see the fullscreen version on Disney+ and wait for a 3d or nice premium than pay more for less.

Yeah I can't see the imax enhanced releases coming to 4K discs. It's an exclusive pull that will keep people going to D+. Same as the series', they'd be loosing out on a subscription.
Imax ratio was only ever retained on 3d discs here as is

The IMAX versions, easily. They look notably sharper and the larger image is much more impactful. It's even better if you manage to procure a copy with DV, that has the lossless atmos track muxed in. No dark D+ filter to contend with then either.

Yes it a compressed video stream, but it's not noticeable imo. Particularly as Disney's UHD discs aren't exactly top tier anyway. Bitrates are soso and no DV, so little to loose.
Agree
Full screen easy.
Less head cropping distracting me

I never said i was waiting for imax discs. Am well aware those are long done with sadly.

As for 4k, I don't have any use for 4k AND am sure they were 29.99 vs 3d at 24.99 initially, which further adds to my disdain paying over £30 for a standard steel when I can only make use of the one disc.
Disney UK 4K UHD Steelbooks new films releases have always been priced at £32.99

It's the UK Disney/Marvel Back Catalogue films that later got a 4K UHD Steelbook release or a later re-release that was priced at £24.99 to £29.99 that's when you seen those prices
Those releases was not new films from Disney

Disney/Marvel UK new film releases is not the same thing as a film from the back catalogue getting a 4K UHD steelbook for the first time or a re-release as another 4K UHD steelbook

Disney UK/Ireland is a separate distributor to Disney Europe

Disney releases from other countries has nothing to do with Disney UK/Ireland so those retail prices not revelant to UK releases
Disney UK/Ireland always has had higher dealer price than Disney Europe when it comes to new film releases on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray/UHD that is why new film releases from Disney are more expensive in UK/Ireland compared to Germany/France/Italy etc

Back Catalogue films releases getting a steelbook release are cheaper as they using existing discs stock and the same applies to amaray getting a re-releases as these are not new films
They are just a repackage of a previous release using existing discs and it also cost less to do a new batch of discs than it cost doing for the first time
Most of the 4K UHD discs are manfactured for amaray releases with a % of that disc stock used for steelbooks and then later used again for re-release of a steelbook and amaray re-releases
This applies to most film studios and is why films from back catalouge from film studio distributors getting re-releases using same discs content are most times cheaper than new film releases

• Informative
Reactions: a_o
I noticed that there isn't any mention of French language audio or subtitles in the listings or on J-cards for the UK release.

However there is mention of French language audio and subtitles for the 4K disc (but not the Blu-ray) for the upcoming "Lightyear" release in the UK.

Is there anybody who might be kind enough to check the UK 4K and Blu-ray discs of "Multiverse" to see if the menus include French language audio and subtitles?

Canada still doesn't have a release for this steelbook and I don't know if they ever will.

Thank you.

@apsmith21 said they may have extras of the US version, which is nicer (full gloss) an more than likely has french audio

UK/EUR 4k disc has:

English Dolby TrueHD/Atmos 7.1
English Director Commentary Dolby Digital 2.0
French Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Spanish DTS 5.1
German Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Italian Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Japanese Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese // Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish

USA disc lacks the european subs (dutch danish, etc) and german, italian & japanese audios

VSmu1fY.jpeg

definitely the IMAX versions from Disney+, or on Blu-ray 3d where both are applicable (movies with only a few imax scenes instead of the whole film being in IMAX). For 'proper 4k' i watch UHD discs rips with the dolby vision metadata injected so the full bitrate benefits from better color grading reproduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Stygian
@apsmith21 said they may have extras of the US version, which is nicer (full gloss) an more than likely has french audio

UK/EUR 4k disc has:

Spanish DTS 5.1

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese // Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish

USA disc may lacks the european subs (dutch danish, etc)

Thank you for your reply!

Is that 4K disc actually from the Zavvi release? Or is it instead from another country in Europe? Perhaps they should be the same but it's important for me to know if it's the UK release from Zavvi.

I realize that the US steelbook is glossy and will have French audio and subtitles but shipping from the US is 5x the cost of shipping from Zavvi and we also get hit with customs charges on shipments from the US but not from Zavvi orders.

Also, do you know if there is any French audio and subtitles on the UK Blu-ray disc as well?

I know, a lot of questions. This information is for a friend in Quebec.

Thank you again for your help.

UK/EUR 4k disc has:

Spanish DTS 5.1

USA disc lacks the european subs (dutch danish, etc) and german, italian & japanese audios

I just realized that I failed to mention that they are interested in getting the Collector's Edition with the slip, booklet and cards which is why the Zavvi UK edition disc information is important.

Thank you again for any help that you can provide.

I just realized that I failed to mention that they are interested in getting the Collector's Edition with the slip, booklet and cards which is why the Zavvi UK edition disc information is important.

Thank you again for any help that you can provide.
Yeah, it looks like the Zavvi disc doesn't have french audio at all.
If they're interested in just a 4k disc with french audio I'm sure I'll have one to spare. between my best buy copy tomorrow and the jbhifi one i'm getting from australia (sometime between now and the end of the year lol)

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
If they're interested in just a 4k disc with french audio I'm sure I'll have one to spare. between my best buy copy tomorrow and the jbhifi one i'm getting from australia (sometime between now and the end of the year lol)

I'm just going to let them know that they're out of luck lol.

Thank you again for the information! :thumbs:

Reactions: a_o
Yeah I can't see the imax enhanced releases coming to 4K discs. It's an exclusive pull that will keep people going to D+. Same as the series', they'd be loosing out on a subscription.
Disney UK 4K UHD Steelbooks new films releases have always been priced at £32.99

It's the UK Disney/Marvel Back Catalogue films that later got a 4K UHD Steelbook release or a later re-release that was priced at £24.99 to £29.99 that's when you seen those prices
Those releases was not new films from Disney

Disney/Marvel UK new film releases is not the same thing as a film from the back catalogue getting a 4K UHD steelbook for the first time or a re-release as another 4K UHD steelbook

Disney UK/Ireland is a separate distributor to Disney Europe

Disney releases from other countries has nothing to do with Disney UK/Ireland so those retail prices not revelant to UK releases
Disney UK/Ireland always has had higher dealer price than Disney Europe when it comes to new film releases on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray/UHD that is why new film releases from Disney are more expensive in UK/Ireland compared to Germany/France/Italy etc

Back Catalogue films releases getting a steelbook release are cheaper as they using existing discs stock and the same applies to amaray getting a re-releases as these are not new films
They are just a repackage of a previous release using existing discs and it also cost less to do a new batch of discs than it cost doing for the first time
Most of the 4K UHD discs are manfactured for amaray releases with a % of that disc stock used for steelbooks and then later used again for re-release of a steelbook and amaray re-releases
This applies to most film studios and is why films from back catalouge from film studio distributors getting re-releases using same discs content are most times cheaper than new film releases
Going to agree to disagree as I distinctly remember 3d being 24.99 and 4k, at least at first(for marvel/disney titles) for a couple releases, being 29.99 before the increase to 32.99. I was happy to save £8 on the preferred 3d when everyone was jumping on 4k at the time.

Either way, it's besides my point of not wanting to effectively pay more for less

Lol..... fight!!!

Jk.

I did try looking on zavvi but remembered they change their OOS prices - remember aladdin anyone? That increased when they 'found' more stock.

Going to agree to disagree as I distinctly remember 3d being 24.99 and 4k, at least at first(for marvel/disney titles) for a couple releases, being 29.99 before the increase to 32.99. I was happy to save £8 on the preferred 3d when everyone was jumping on 4k at the time.

Either way, it's besides my point of not wanting to effectively pay more for less
Again those UK Disney 4K UHD steelbook releases that was priced at £29.99 was back catalogue films geting a steelbook release
It don't matter if it was a first time getting 4K UHD steelbook release as they still was not new films releases
These was just a repackage using the existing previously released 4K UHD disc and Blu-ray disc in a steelbook

Do you not understand the difference between a back catalogue and a new film release

All Disney UK New Films 4K UHD Steelbooks have been priced £32.99

Back catalouge marvel films 4K UHD steelbooks from Disney have been priced at £27.99 to £29.99
Examples of back catalogue re-releases
Both of the Captain America 4K UHD Steelbook releases below are re-releases of a previously released film and are not new films

Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker (November 2020)
4K UHD Steelbook is a back catalogue release £29.99

Example of a Disney new film releases from 2020
Frozen II

4K UHD steelbook was priced at £32.99

Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker (April 2020)
4K UHD Steelbook was priced at £32.99

Note the price when Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker was a new film release it was £32.99

If Disney UK do another 4K UHD Steelbook later next year of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness which is very likely to happen
The price will between £27.99 to £29.99 as by then it will be just another back catalogue film getting a re-release using previous released discs
Note price quoted above is based on previous re-releases and subject to change

Last edited:
Lol..... fight!!!

Jk.

I did try looking on zavvi but remembered they change their OOS prices - remember aladdin anyone? That increased when they 'found' more stock.
You getting mixed up with some other film release in regards to more stock found of a 4K UHD Steelbook

Aladdin both the 4K UHD SteelBooks did not have a price increase after more stock was added to website
The opposite happened a price drop to £17.99 after a few months with Aladdin (1992)

Aladdin (2019) was a new film release
SteelBook released in September 2019
Price 4K UHD SteelBook was £32.99

Aladdin (1992) is a back catalogue film and is why the 4K UHD SteelBook was priced at £27.99

Do you now understand the difference between a new film and a back catalogue film

To put this matter to bed... The very first disney UK 4K steelbook was guardians of the galaxy vol 2. It was £32.99. The 3D was £24.99. Accept it and give it a rest. Christ.

Last edited:
@Stygian @a_o

UK 4K UHD and Blu-ray Discs in Zavvi steelbooks does have French audio

Zavvi steelbook editions is a release from Disney UK/Ireland

It makes no dfifference if the steelbook is purchased from Zavvi USA or Zavvi UK as customers are still ordering a UK release

In regards to Disney UK/Ireland releases
It makes no difference if you purchase a UK 4K UHD SteelBook or a UK 4K UHD Amaray release as they include same discs
Zavvi just has an arrangement with Disney UK/Ireland to get their steelbooks as a UK retailer exclusive
All artwork desgin done by Disney

The only exception on some Disney UK/Ireland releases is a when a steelbook or a Amaray edition has a exclusive bonus disc that contents of discs can be different
That don't apply with this UK Disney film release of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness as the discs included are the same

Disney UK/Ireland release
4K UHD Disc
Audio
295814142_10227017811691798_6636498503589822015_n.jpg

4K UHD Subtitles
295703688_10227017812371815_4851381812964044175_n.jpg

Blu-ray Audio
295974675_10227017812491818_1639243434463793279_n.jpg

Blu-ray Subtitles

295878034_10227017812691823_2265549757635166678_n.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. The 4K banner unfortunately I'm not surprised. Disney made smlife in korea do the same thing with their semi premium 4K slips. It's only when Disney stopped releasing 4K discs in korea that the banner was dropped and replaced by a far more subtle bluray logo in the bottom left.
Who ever decided to put a banner across the top of the slip deserves to be fired...out of a canon... into the sun. I mean seriously I thought we were long since passed the days of banners across the tops of things. This is as bad as the blue blu ray bars across the tops of steelbooks.

@Stygian @a_o

UK 4K UHD and Blu-ray Discs in Zavvi steelbooks does have French audio

Zavvi steelbook editions is a release from Disney UK/Ireland

It makes no dfifference if the steelbook is purchased from Zavvi USA or Zavvi UK as customers are still ordering a UK release

In regards to Disney UK/Ireland releases
It makes no difference if you purchase a UK 4K UHD SteelBook or a UK 4K UHD Amaray release as they include same discs
Zavvi just has an arrangement with Disney UK/Ireland to get their steelbooks as a UK retailer exclusive
All artwork desgin done by Disney

The only exception on some Disney UK/Ireland releases is a when a steelbook or a Amaray edition has a exclusive bonus disc that contents of discs can be different
That don't apply with this UK Disney film release of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness as the discs included are the same

Disney UK/Ireland release
4K UHD Disc
Audio
View attachment 537967

4K UHD Subtitles
View attachment 537968

Blu-ray Audio
View attachment 537969

Blu-ray Subtitles

View attachment 537970

Thank you, Paul. :thumbs: