Upcoming Doctor Who (Series 13) [BBC]

Flash

Premium Supporter
Jan 17, 2014
image.jpg
Doctor-Who-logo.png

I couldn't find a thread to discuss the new series of Dr Who (if there is one please merge)

What did everyone think of the first episode?

Season 9 Episode 1
The Magician’s Apprentice

I personally loved it but as a lifelong Dr Who fan I would, but what's not to love
Davros, Missy's return, Capaldi with a guitar:drool:

Can't wait for next week :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bigfub
Great episode on Saturday loved that you saw David Tennant and Matt Smith even for a moment

Yep commercial suicide of the highest order. The show is about to enter the final phase of it's death throes and it will be very painful....

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Yep commercial suicide of the highest order. The show is about to enter the final phase of it's death throes and it will be very painful....
I think we'll have to agree to disagree there ;) As long as the story lines are still up to scratch there's no reason this shouldn't carry on being as successful as ever :thumbs:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there ;) As long as the story lines are still up to scratch there's no reason this shouldn't carry on being as successful as ever :thumbs:
At least half the fanbase will bail. This is a PC/SJW political statement - and not a smart one.
If they wanted to make a parallel/alternate universe series, that would one thing. But this akin to making Batman female. Make NEW characters - don't destroy the mythology of an existing icon.
This is the same braintrust that gave you Top Gear 2.0
They will not have jobs much longer I suspect.

At least half the fanbase will bail. This is a PC/SJW political statement - and not a smart one.
If they wanted to make a parallel/alternate universe series, that would one thing. But this akin to making Batman female. Make NEW characters - don't destroy the mythology of an existing icon.
This is the same braintrust that gave you Top Gear 2.0
They will not have jobs much longer I suspect.

Their loss if they do then. Every change of Doctor has seen complaints about whoever has taken over and just because Doctor Who started in the 60's with a white male lead there's no reason for that to be set in stone for ever and ever.
Let's just have patience and see what the storylines are like ;)

Their loss if they do then. Every change of Doctor has seen complaints about whoever has taken over and just because Doctor Who started in the 60's with a white male lead there's no reason for that to be set in stone for ever and ever.
Let's just have patience and see what the storylines are like ;)
Except this change isn't genuine. It isn't being made at service to the character, the mythology, or the history. It is specifically being made as a political gesture.
This is not being done in goodwill.
You could put a monkey in The Dark Knight and shoot it scene for scene - but it would make no sense.
Batman isn't a monkey. Never has been. The mythology tells us this.
And if anyone says "this is not a political, or PC move" - then answer this question:
"Then why did you do it?"
Answer:
Because IT IS.

So the Doctor has to stay as a white male time eternal then? Would you have the same response if they'd cast someone like Idris Elba or John Boyega? Surely that would affect the mythology and history too? I'm pretty sure that a time travelling alien with two hearts can be whatever they want to be ;) Wibbly, wobbly, timey-wimey stuff and all that :)

Likening a female doctor to a monkey in Batman is hardly a decent way of showing your disdain either?
It's simple, if you don't like the idea of change, then don't watch it :thumbs:

So the Doctor has to stay as a white male time eternal then? Would you have the same response if they'd cast someone like Idris Elba or John Boyega? Surely that would affect the mythology and history too? I'm pretty sure that a time travelling alien with two hearts can be whatever they want to be ;) Wibbly, wobbly, timey-wimey stuff and all that :)

Likening a female doctor to a monkey in Batman is hardly a decent way of showing your disdain either?
It's simple, if you don't like the idea of change, then don't watch it :thumbs:
Idris Elba or John Boyega would be fine. The Doctor is male.
Change is fine within the stated mythology of the character.
This is why Marvel comics are going down the tubes.
They are destroying their own mythology.
Create a parallel. Example: Supergirl is fine. She isn't a female replacement for Superman - but a different character.
It is the wholesale retconning of a specific character and mythology that people despise.

I guess the trouble is that a lot of characters were created at a time when the only lead had to be male and white but just because the stated mythology dates back decades doesn't mean people's attitudes have to stay there. I've rather enjoyed the introduction of Missy for example, I think it's brought a different dynamic to the series.
I do get what you mean about alternate universes but I think you'll find that the majority of those who despise the fact the Doctor has been cast as a woman (for whatever reason) will be men. :rolleyes:

Except this change isn't genuine. It isn't being made at service to the character, the mythology, or the history. It is specifically being made as a political gesture.
This is not being done in goodwill.

All the comments don't really mater The show is now dead in the water. Any fans that hadn't bailed in the past 3 years will most certainly do now. The fans don't ask for or want this PC drivel.
The above quote was spot on. This is all about being PC and throwing common sense out the window. I bailed out around the time of Matt Smith's last story and on the rare times I dipped into the show again it was dire beyond belief........ This is a repeat of Marvel comics all over again.

1613699086002.png

Doctor Who: Fury from the Deep
Premieres Sunday, March 21 at 6pm ET/5c on BBC AMERICA (all six half-hour episodes back-to-back)
Early access of the full season begins Monday, March 15 on AMC+

Missing from the BBC Archives, this animated version of the 1968 classic sees the TARDIS land on the surface of the sea, just off the coast of England. The Doctor (Patrick Troughton, The Omen), along with his companions, Jamie (Frazer Hines, Two Days in the Smoke) and Victoria (Deborah Watling, The Invisible Man) use a rubber dinghy to get ashore, where they are shot with tranquilizer darts and taken prisoner by security guards as they have arrived in the restricted area of a gas refinery.

At the refinery base, run by a man named Robson (Victor Maddern, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), the Doctor learns that there have been a number of unexplained problems with the pressure in the feed pipes from the offshore drilling rigs. It is later revealed that one of the rigs has sucked up a parasitic form of seaweed, which is capable of releasing poisonous gas or a strange kind of foam that allows it to take control of the minds of those it touches.

Series 13 for Whovians

New character Vinder, played by Jacob Anderson, will make his debut in the upcoming season joining Jodie Whittaker, Mandip Gill and John Bishop.

1.jpg