Dune (2021) (4K+3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (FNAC Exclusive) [France]

Dec 13, 2018
Release date: January 26, 2022
Purchase links: Box Set - FNAC
Price: €89.99 (Box Set) - €34.99 (SteelBook)
Note: Box includes a SteelBook + booklet + lithograph + OST CD

Dune-Coffret-Edition-Speciale-Fnac-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD.jpg
Dune-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD.jpg

Dune-Coffret-Edition-Speciale-Fnac-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD-2.jpg
Dune-Coffret-Edition-Speciale-Fnac-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD-3.jpg
Dune-Coffret-Edition-Speciale-Fnac-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, thank you! No love for Graeme Revell, Clint Mansell, or Harry Gregson-Williams. :D
When I say 'I like soundtracks' to people, I mean I like soundtracks, not original scores. Existing (sometimes, but rarely, created for a movie) songs, which is why I appreciate someone like Tarantino, who knows how to basically score his movies with preexisting material.
Actual original music, in 90% of the times, is just serviceable, bearable. More often, than not, I wish it wasn't there at all. Sometimes it actually spoils the movie in my opinion, especially the generic 'grandiose' orchestral scores, trying to make everything sound 'epic' and important (most drama, action, fantasy movies, blockbusters), and I hate that. So when @BatOutOfHell said he 'hates' Zimmer, and some were like 'whaaat', including me, well, I probably really hate every composer on both your lists for aforementioned 'offenses', I just don't usually check who was so annoying...

Best tracks I listen to separately most often happened to be from movies, one probably wouldn't think of, like:

I'm sorry for going off topic.

Reactions: BatOutOfHell
I see, thank you! No love for Graeme Revell, Clint Mansell, or Harry Gregson-Williams. :D
When I say 'I like soundtracks' to people, I mean I like soundtracks, not original scores. Existing (sometimes, but rarely, created for a movie) songs, which is why I appreciate someone like Tarantino, who knows how to basically score his movies with preexisting material.
Actual original music, in 90% of the times, is just serviceable, bearable. More often, than not, I wish it wasn't there at all. Sometimes it actually spoils the movie in my opinion, especially the generic 'grandiose' orchestral scores, trying to make everything sound 'epic' and important (most drama, action, fantasy movies, blockbusters), and I hate that. So when @BatOutOfHell said he 'hates' Zimmer, and some were like 'whaaat', including me, well, I probably really hate every composer on both your lists for aforementioned 'offenses', I just don't usually check who was so annoying...

Best tracks I listen to separately most often happened to be from movies, one probably wouldn't think of, like:

I'm sorry for going off topic.

Well, I'm going to stay off topic here for a second more if that's alright. :D

Those are some nice pieces, thanks for sharing! That Murphy piece from 28 Days Later (or the sequel?) is a classic, and Desplat of course is also one of the good ones, I like his very European classicism a lot (that he can do a lot more he showed with Godzilla, though, what a blast). Mansell, also good, Sahara might be my favorite work of his. But thanks for sharing that Smokin' Aces piece - variations of this have been featured in so many trailers, I completely forgot where it originally came from! Aaaand Gregson-Williams (Harry at least) is also a major talent, Kingdom of Heaven was amazing, so was earlier work like Sinbad or Spy Game, or his collaborations with John Powell. I wish he would have stayed Ridley Scott's go-to composer. @ethnosax mentioned Marco Beltrami - I like him too (Hellboy!). Haven't heard the Quiet Place scores yet...
So yeah, the film music world might not be quite as bleak as I like to rant on about - but then again, you have to ask yourself, when was the last time most of these composers have delivered truly great scores or scored major/important projects?
Also, two things... For one, I might be an old soul - I still love that fully orchestral, densly orchestrated and richly thematic sound that's hardly heard anymore these days. @Jocelin mentioned Basil Poledouris - Man, everyone's got to check out Tadlow's rerecording of Conan The Barbarian. There is no one left alive who could write music like this - then again, no one wants music like this in films anymore, and that's a huge bummer.
And second, my strong adverse feelings towards Hans Zimmer - well, I guess that's not just exclusively related to music... He is also a huge dick. The completely overblown statements about his approach to this or that project, as if he's the greatest genius ever (when in reality only delivering very basic and simplistic stuff), a genius who can't even read notes, for f's sake; and also other antics I'm too tired to go into now. Doesn't matter anyway. I guess I've ranted enough - not the time or the place.
I'll leave this with a random piece of music that I listened to recently, that embodies everything I love about film music - complex orchestrations, a narrative structure that also tells a story, a strong emotional and thematic core - for anyone who has a quarter of an hour to spare. ;) It's challenging at times but quite rewarding I believe...

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Oh dear, sad to hear that the new Dune did not meet your expectations, @Jocelin. :ohno:
It has seemed for some time now, you and I have pretty strong considerations for the same type shows so, since I've yet to see this, I won't ask for details but if you might feel like mentioning any large/overarching considerations that you were unhappy with. I'd be interested to know.
I've been an enormous fan of Herbert's since my first pick-up of the original novel. I've since acquired ALL his books, (in HC 1st eds) as well as the '84 film and the two TV series which, considering the meager budget allotted, I think were excellent (now on Blu!).
I'm very much looking forward to this and though many of the gripes throughout this Thread are no doubt quite accurate, I still feel it will meet my expectations. :D
I'm personally glad they elected to release such an enormous story in two parts.
I anticipate Pt-2 as completing the 1st book's arc and then quickly rip through "Messiah" and even possibly go into "Children".
The TV series I believe pulled this off quite well, here's hoping!

As for this particular FNAC release, the price (to me) is far too high for the contents.
It will no doubt tumble some but I also anticipate some noteworthy Premiums down the line.
Hoping so at least. :watch:

Oh dear, sad to hear that the new Dune did not meet your expectations, @Jocelin. :ohno:
It has seemed for some time now, you and I have pretty strong considerations for the same type shows so, since I've yet to see this, I won't ask for details but if you might feel like mentioning any large/overarching considerations that you were unhappy with. I'd be interested to know.
I've been an enormous fan of Herbert's since my first pick-up of the original novel. I've since acquired ALL his books, (in HC 1st eds) as well as the '84 film and the two TV series which, considering the meager budget allotted, I think were excellent (now on Blu!).
I'm very much looking forward to this and though many of the gripes throughout this Thread are no doubt quite accurate, I still feel it will meet my expectations. :D
I'm personally glad they elected to release such an enormous story in two parts.
I anticipate Pt-2 as completing the 1st book's arc and then quickly rip through "Messiah" and even possibly go into "Children".
The TV series I believe pulled this off quite well, here's hoping!

As for this particular FNAC release, the price (to me) is far too high for the contents.
It will no doubt tumble some but I also anticipate some noteworthy Premiums down the line.
Hoping so at least. :watch:
@Grendel First i really like Villeneuve as a director.
Second i like the lynch version as a movie. I did not read the book !
The problem i had with the new dune is that despite the movie being long, the story is not much developed then the lynch version. As mentionned earlier i didnt read the book and storywise i learned nothing new. Kind of sad for a movie that cover only half of the story for the same running time and makes it feel real slow. It is visually very impressive but feels very cold. What where for me the good scenes where the exact sameas in the lynch version, and there is a lot of them ! This is maybe why i can hardly understand why the lynch version is considered a disaster and this one a masterpiece since they have so much in common.

Last edited:
This features 3D disc as well, as usual for WB french 4K steelbooks (speaking about movies having a 3D version, of course).
Just scroll the FNAC page and read "Caractéristiques détaillées"

I like that art. I see that on Amazon, but the fnac site still has this:

Dune-Steelbook-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD.jpg

I like both, but prefer the one on Amazon
When I posted that this thread was still showing as a combined one for Amazon and FNAC as they both had the 4K, 3D and BR combo editions listed but no art

Looks like since they've had different artworks allocated

I really like both as well but I think I actually prefer the FNAC art. Going to keep my amazon order though as it seems to be sold out (for now) and don't want to risk losing out on the 3D version plus had a poor experience with FNAC not long ago whilst ordering the Godzilla vs Kong Steelbook

I received a DHL delivery notice for this afternoon. Usually with DHL that means 5 or 6 hours from now. If nobody comments then I’ll let you know the finish once I get it later today.

Darn. I might be. Eng subs ?

English subs for deaf and hard of hearing on BR, 3DBR & 4KBR.

I ordered two to be sure to have at least one OK. Double checked. Both are OK. No dents, no dings, no spine slash. One has cello teared in the front on the left border. I've also checked the back with my fingers. Didn't feel any dents.

Price I paid + shipping costs + PayPal fees. I'm a collector, and you can count on me to have the best package possible.
If interested > MP.

IMG_6175.jpeg

Last edited: