Edge of Tomorrow (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Ultimate Collector's Edition) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 1, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV - WB Shop (Pre-order is on May 23)
Price: £39.99

Edge of Tomorrow.jpg

Last edited:
I think premium is a much more broad term than people like to admit. I don't think this quite falls into premium territory but it is certainly scratching at the door. If the actual steelbook had a better finish then I could happily call it premium. I certainly do think some of the people on here are... Urm snobish when it comes to some releases.
Had the steel been better, I'd be inclined to perhaps argue the fact as well. The folder still drags it down imo. They're fine, but boxy and cheap, as per most WB UCEs. The folders HDZ and FAC use really do show a different level of attention to detail, as with envelopes from WeET/Manta, which sets them apart.

The term premium is subjective, of course. Not being a snob, but imo for something to be an actual "premium" release, it needs to come from a premium retailer. That's that really.

In this context, I wouldn't confuse high quality with "premium".

Had the steel been better, I'd be inclined to perhaps argue the fact as well. The folder still drags it down imo. They're fine, but boxy and cheap, as per most WB UCEs. The folders HDZ and FAC use really do show a different level of attention to detail, as with envelopes from WeET/Manta, which sets them apart.

The term premium is subjective, of course. Not being a snob, but imo for something to be an actual "premium" release, it needs to come from a premium retailer. That's that really.

In this context, I wouldn't confuse high quality with "premium".
Totally agree. I suspect some people who call some of the zavvi or whatever sets premium also just might never have seen a premium in person. And it is so very difficult to convey just how nice a proper premium is in words. If you have not seen one, you just don't get it. And I am fairly new to premium collecting although I have a movie collector since vhs days. I was mostly just a standard edition collector. My first premium was the Novamedia planet terror and from then I just understood. They just feel amazing to hold, everything about them feels amazing, but especially the slips.

And the odd thing is some of the zavvi sets are really really nice, even in the same price range, hell the recent Doctor strange 2 was £50 ffs and although I decided not to get it, it did not look premium to me (that 4k black bar at the top...) but for £50 I want them to be amazing. I really hope the upcoming Nobody and the Rambo £100 collectors set are both amazing quality.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Totally agree. I suspect some people who call some of the zavvi or whatever sets premium also just might never have seen a premium in person. And it is so very difficult to convey just how nice a proper premium is in words. If you have not seen one, you just don't get it. And I am fairly new to premium collecting although I have a movie collector since vhs days. I was mostly just a standard edition collector. My first premium was the Novamedia planet terror and from then I just understood. They just feel amazing to hold, everything about them feels amazing, but especially the slips.

And the odd thing is some of the zavvi sets are really really nice, even in the same price range, hell the recent Doctor strange 2 was £50 ffs and although I decided not to get it, it did not look premium to me (that 4k black bar at the top...) but for £50 I want them to be amazing. I really hope the upcoming Nobody and the Rambo £100 collectors set are both amazing quality.
Exactly, some things just mean more to some people who appreciate them. Not knocking really nice collectors editions, but they are just that, and shouldn't be glorified to be otherwise.

Doctor Strange was such a waste of money. Slip is garbage, and had it not essentially been free (zavvi mishap), I'd have returned it. It's sat on my shelf, spine side out, with some black tape hiding the ugly bbfc logos, until a decent release appears.

I won't be bothering with love & thunder if it's the same sh!t :vomit:

Reactions: Boilersteel
Exactly, some things just mean more to some people who appreciate them. Not knocking really nice collectors editions, but they are just that, and shouldn't be glorified to be otherwise.

Doctor Strange was such a waste of money. Slip is garbage, and had it not essentially been free (zavvi mishap), I'd have returned it. It's sat on my shelf, spine side out, with some black tape hiding the ugly bbfc logos, until a decent release appears.

I won't be bothering with love & thunder if it's the same sh!t :vomit:
Yeah I am waiting on seeing in hand pictures for any Zavvi Love and Thunder collectors edition before even considering a purchase. Dr Strange MOM was total crap with that banner and printed age ratings (probably thanks to Disney).

Reactions: samdavies

So far my favorite Zavvi slip has been the Venom 2 one. It is very nice basically flat with a shiny finish and a sturdy box. I set that next to the WeET Venom 2 full slip, and there is just no comparison. The embossing, the texture, the quality of the imaging, and the coloring in the WeET version are outstanding and it is only a WWA WeET release. The WeET one was much more expensive than Zavvi one ($50-55) vs ($70-75 direct), but both were well worth it. The Dr Strange 2 price from Zavvi was ridiculously high and not worth it.

I haven't been around here or even been aware of steelbooks as long as most people but I believe the use of the word or label of "premium" was introduced for the likes of releases from companies such as Kimchi, Nova, Blufans, Manta, HDZeta, and FAC.

Releases with slips (more than one type) including lenti or double lenti or full slips and WEA glossy and bossed steelbooks perhaps along with other goodies such as booklets, or art cards or other things.

I guess you can add WeET to that group.

For me, that's where "premium" releases end. This trend of retailers like Amazona, Zavvi, Best Buy and HMV throwing WWA steelbooks into slips is not what I would consider "premiums" or premium retailers even if they cost as mush as "premium" editions. Those are "also rans".

I also roll my eyes whenever anybody complains (mostly at another site) about how they pay a "premium" price for steelbooks (just steelbooks as opposed to their amaray editions) from Best Buy and Amazon and so they expect them to be treated gently and wrapped in a diaper before shipping.

Anybody who thinks that they pay a premium price for standalone steelbooks really oughta reconsider and just keep their money under their mattress.

Yes, all of that is my opinion but I also know that I'm right.
I agree, all those other releases we used to call, and should call SEs, LEs, CEs, and all combinations thereof (Special Limited Collector's Edition) SLCE. :smuggrin:

People that say they pay premium for a steelbook just use it as a regular verb, in that they add a premium to whatever they consider a normal price, and many shop at Dollar Tree and some second hand stores, and buy BDs for 1-3 bucks, so 30 does seem very premium to them.

People here get argumentative with the use of the word 'Premium', apparently it can only be applied to unattainable 200-500 copy exclusives sold out in seconds, with childish lentis and cookie cutter art from cereal and chocolate boxes.
Now you're referring to all that Marvel crap releases? ;)

Had the Italian 4k steel delivered today and replaced this pos steel. Yes it's image replication, but it's a nicer steel in hand.

Reactions: Stygian