Release Date: October 25, 2022
Prices and Links:
Criterion- $31.96
Amazon- $27.99
DiabolikDVD- $29.99
177048F6-7049-4322-A5F3-85B3421DB430.jpeg

Director: Kasi Lemmons
Writer: Kasi Lemmons
Starring: Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Meagan Good, Samuel L. Jackson, Lynn Whitfield, Debbi Morgan
  • United States
  • 115 minutes
  • Black and White/Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
B1056D29-2B5C-49FC-BBF2-0F6221AC5BD5.jpeg

“The summer I killed my father, I was ten years old . . .” So begins Kasi Lemmons’s spellbinding feature debut, an evocative journey into the maze of memory steeped in fragrant southern-gothic atmosphere. In 1960s Louisiana, a young girl (Jurnee Smollett) sees her well-to-do family unravel in the wake of the infidelities of her charming father (Samuel L. Jackson)—setting in motion a series of deceptions and betrayals that will upend her world and challenge her understanding of reality. Rooted in Creole history, folklore, and mysticism, Eve’s Bayou is a scintillating showcase for a powerhouse ensemble of Black actresses—including Lynn Whitfield, Debbi Morgan, and the legendary Diahann Carroll as a voodoo priestess—as well as a profoundly cathartic exploration of trauma, forgiveness, and the elusive nature of truth.

7A5CFC8B-6BC3-470B-AFCC-9B90655B71D8.jpeg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED TWO-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration of the director’s cut, supervised by director Kasi Lemmons and cinematographer Amy Vincent, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • Original 108-minute theatrical-release version
  • Audio commentary on the director’s cut featuring Lemmons, Vincent, producer Caldecot Chubb, and editor Terilyn A. Shropshire
  • Dr. Hugo (1996), a short film Lemmons made as a proof of concept for Eve’s Bayou, in a new 4K digital transfer
  • New interview with Lemmons
  • Cast reunion footage
  • Interview with composer Terence Blanchard
  • New program showcasing black-and-white Polaroids that Vincent took during production
  • Cast and crew photographs by William Eggleston
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Kara Keeling
TRAILER:

Last edited: