Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Release date: January 3, 2023
Purchase links: FNAC - Amazon
Price: €29.99

2522FECE-F447-42E5-9267-63BABE7A1247.jpeg

141C1C10-74C9-4B6E-9EE6-FF28C1E77D80.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried, but have the message that the disk doesn’t allow to turn subtitles off (Oppo UDP-203) while playing.
And if I try to switch subtitles off through the menu, it doesn’t work.
If there’s a hack, I would be glad if someone could help.
A lot of players (like Panasonic) allow you to change the position of the subtitles. So you can keep lowering the position of the subtitles until they actually drop off the screen. So that they are still there but you cannot see them.

When first DVDs were being released, one of the features that were advertised, was the multilingual ability, with a bunch of audio tracks and dozens of subtitles. Now that discs hold 5-30 times the data, we get 1 subtitle track. It's bullshit.
But I know studios have to pay for those subs, not sure how much, and if they exist for releases around the world, how hard is it to send a sub file and drop it onto the master disc? Probably 5 mins of work.
Bottom line is, if these companies will want to sell their releases to the ever shrinking physical collectors around the world, they will have to start adding those subs. Korean for a Spanish release, and Portuguese for a French release, or they will stop existing. The worst 'economic crisis' is coming, and we will see a time, where they'll be asking - what would you like on that upcoming release, Taiwanese and Bengali subtitles, well yes of course sire, debossing and spot gloss and 16 poster art cards, sure, we will get right on that, anything else to please you?
//rant_over :bored:

I tried, but have the message that the disk doesn’t allow to turn subtitles off (Oppo UDP-203) while playing.
And if I try to switch subtitles off through the menu, it doesn’t work.
If there’s a hack, I would be glad if someone could help.
That must be a limitation of your player then, which is odd for an oppo. Your can't turn them off via the disc main menu, but my Panasonic ub820 easily turned them off via the player's subtitle menu during playback.

Reactions: JRodDirector
That must be a limitation of your player then, which is odd for an oppo. Your can't turn them off via the disc main menu, but my Panasonic ub820 easily turned them off via the player's subtitle menu during playback.
So lucky!
I'm playing this 4K through my PS5 and totally unable to turn off the sub titles on the English language track and they aren't even English!*! Maybe Mandarin uGhh

When first DVDs were being released, one of the features that were advertised, was the multilingual ability, with a bunch of audio tracks and dozens of subtitles. Now that discs hold 5-30 times the data, we get 1 subtitle track. It's bullshit.
But I know studios have to pay for those subs, not sure how much, and if they exist for releases around the world, how hard is it to send a sub file and drop it onto the master disc?
As far as I know licensing is also something you have to keep in mind. In some territories you cannot just add all the languages as you please. I agree that a proper release should contain the subtitles for the original audio, though.

Welp. Saw this edition on some random YouTube unboxing in my feed. Immediately went to Amazon.fr and placed an order. Then I found this thread and am seeing it's not English language compatible. Oh well.

I wish I would have snagged a regular release when they were under $10 to swap discs with.

Reactions: JinxyKatte
Welp. Saw this edition on some random YouTube unboxing in my feed. Immediately went to Amazon.fr and placed an order. Then I found this thread and am seeing it's not English language compatible. Oh well.

I wish I would have snagged a regular release when they were under $10 to swap discs with.
Absolutely. Like I know when buying steels some of us are double dipping and don't actually care about the discs. And other times I am getting it for both the steelbook and the movie and well this is one of those times for me. I really wanna get this movie and I am sick of the Uk getting pissed about on A24. Seriously. Does it have an English audio track? Like if it only had a French audio track that would still be bad but at least you could excuse the lack of English subs. Otherwise if it has English audio it should have subs. There is no excuse.

Reactions: jacobsever