Future for 4k collecting?

David Seto

Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2014
what is your thoughts on the uncoming approval if the 4k format next year, how many older titles do you think you will see released in 4k, or do you think we will only see new titles for a couple years? just wondering how over the next year or two how it is going to affect everyone collecting of blurays, i am sure years down the road there if the 4k has the calling like bluray it will get to the stage of collecting like bluray is now, but not too sure if it will catch on like 1080p has.

IMO.... HDR is the real reason to be buying/watching 4k. Maybe thats just me. I had thought TV manufacturer's would offer 1080p HDR TV's but it never really happened and they instead bundled HDR with 4k as a combo deal. Of course more resolution is resolution, but, still to me the main draw is HDR.

Im more glued to see where the industry takes HDR in terms of incorporating it into releases, etc.

The other aspect to 4K will apply to gamer's.... gaming in 4k with HDR should be something special but that remains to be seen.

I do believe 4K & HDR will "stick" and not end up being a forgotten yesterday's tech like 3D.

IMO.... HDR is the real reason to be buying/watching 4k. Maybe thats just me. I had thought TV manufacturer's would offer 1080p HDR TV's but it never really happened and they instead bundled HDR with 4k as a combo deal. Of course more resolution is resolution, but, still to me the main draw is HDR.

Im more glued to see where the industry takes HDR in terms of incorporating it into releases, etc.

The other aspect to 4K will apply to gamer's.... gaming in 4k with HDR should be something special but that remains to be seen.

I do believe 4K & HDR will "stick" and not end up being a forgotten yesterday's tech like 3D.

The gaming part is also what I'm interested to see more development in. I have the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro, and from what I've seen so far, I'm impressed. I've only tried Uncharted 4 and Forza Horizon 3, but they look great, especially Forza. The colors pop.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jason Bourne
Yeah I bought HD DVD first and the first film I saw in HD was King Kong. I had the xbox add-on player. ha. but a few months later the ps3 dropped for like what $700 and I got that and bought like 3 blu-rays. Long time ago......

• Thanks
Reactions: Jason Bourne
The gaming part is also what I'm interested to see more development in. I have the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro, and from what I've seen so far, I'm impressed. I've only tried Uncharted 4 and Forza Horizon 3, but they look great, especially Forza. The colors pop.

Baller Alert. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: darczap
Let's see what drives the Studios...Box office with 3D films or 4K for the Home Entertainment market?

Samsung dropped 3D from all their TV's this year. 3D may still be a market at the cinema but it's going to be harder to come by for the home entertainment market. Whereas, almost all new tv's are 4k.

^^^ I think both. Studio's will continue to sell 3D at the theater and adopt heavily into 4K/HDR releases for home entertainment. Personally I really dislike 3D and my local theater chain which has a monopoly basically decided most of all showings are going to be "forced" 3D, as a result I quit going to the theater... haven't seen a move in theater in almost a year :/ It would be interesting to see how much more money exactly the 3D up-charge ticket is really making the theaters and studio's as forced 3D has caused some movies to commercially fail (financially) that clearly should not have (for example, Dredd 3D).

• Thanks
Reactions: darczap
I am baffled why they are dropping 3D now. On 4K televisions 3D is absolutely stunning! On regular HD you got 1 million pixels in 3D... with 4K you get over 4 million... which is over 2k, and the latest tv's upscale perfectly. 3D was just "meh..." before, now it ads a whole new dimension (pun intended).

• Thanks
Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
I am baffled why they are dropping 3D now. On 4K televisions 3D is absolutely stunning! On regular HD you got 1 million pixels in 3D... with 4K you get over 4 million... which is over 2k, and the latest tv's upscale perfectly. 3D was just "meh..." before, now it ads a whole new dimension (pun intended).

Sadly you're wrong in several areas.

720p si 1 million pixels or 1k
1080p is 2k

Despite most people's impression, 4k isn't actually double the resolution of 2k, nor is resolution alone the answer to viewing perfection.Thus, in effect 8k is effectively a redundant format before it has even begun.
4k isn't really the breathtaking answer to a dream that most people imagine , or imagine they see either; unless you happen to be watching with your nose pressed to the screen, or view on a screen of 60 inches plus - less than 5% of the total market.

Plus 3D is as alive as long as the studios keep making 3D movies.

Sadly you're wrong in several areas.

720p si 1 million pixels or 1k
1080p is 2k

Despite most people's impression, 4k isn't actually double the resolution of 2k, nor is resolution alone the answer to viewing perfection.Thus, in effect 8k is effectively a redundant format before it has even begun.
4k isn't really the breathtaking answer to a dream that most people imagine , or imagine they see either; unless you happen to be watching with your nose pressed to the screen, or view on a screen of 60 inches plus - less than 5% of the total market.

Plus 3D is as alive as long as the studios keep making 3D movies.

I would be wrong if I didn't include 3D in my statement, which halves the amount of pixels in either vertical or horizontal plane.
And 1080p is not exactly 2k, but close, so it's commonly referred to as 2k.

I agree with what you say about 4k, compared to 1080p the eye doesn't see much difference. Though with a 65"+ screen and HDR, Dolby Vision, a wider color range in general, perhaps OLED, and a lot of new picture enhancements, the difference is huge. Not enormous, but huge.

For 3D, which I was referring to earlier, the difference is you now get a resolution in 3D close to 2k (and above when upscaled):

Pixels (in 3D) on 1080p: 1036800
Pixels (in 3D) (upscaled) on 4k: 4147200

And finally, a lot of 4k tv's released in 2017 do not include 3D, which shows they are more focused on the 4k/HDR/DV than the 3D technology. Studios will not continue to make 3D if in the future there are less support for it in hardware.

I would be wrong if I didn't include 3D in my statement, which halves the amount of pixels in either vertical or horizontal plane.
And 1080p is not exactly 2k, but close, so it's commonly referred to as 2k.

I agree with what you say about 4k, compared to 1080p the eye doesn't see much difference. Though with a 65"+ screen and HDR, Dolby Vision, a wider color range in general, perhaps OLED, and a lot of new picture enhancements, the difference is huge. Not enormous, but huge.

For 3D, which I was referring to earlier, the difference is you now get a resolution in 3D close to 2k (and above when upscaled):

Pixels (in 3D) on 1080p: 1036800
Pixels (in 3D) (upscaled) on 4k: 4147200

And finally, a lot of 4k tv's released in 2017 do not include 3D, which shows they are more focused on the 4k/HDR/DV than the 3D technology. Studios will not continue to make 3D if in the future there are less support for it in hardware.

iIn reality 1080p is a close to 2k as 4k is to what it puports to be.

You're confusing pixel rate with refresh rate, the latter of which is abysmal (as is every other dynamic) in LCD/LED in comparison with Plasma & Oled
3D is achieved by scanning left - right rapidly and refresh rate is what counts which is way slower in LCD/LED than Plasma & Oled

Try watching one of the last reference standard Plasmas besides any flagship LED/LCD and the plasma will still triumph 4k or no 4k. also, as a reference plasma can produce colours right across the spectrum, and the human eye in perfect conditions can only discern around 10 million colours, and only 30 or so shades of grey (not 50 as in the book), you really cannot see more just because you up the resolution on a TV.

As for the studios, they never have worked for anything more than putting bums on seats in cinemas. If 3D works for them there, they will make them until the cows come home.

Not sure how you have reached that conclusion. With 3D you get alternating frames for the left eye and for the right eye, but both frames have exactly the same 2K (1920 x 1080) resolution as with a regular 2D Blu-ray.

• Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan
Not sure how you have reached that conclusion. With 3D you get alternating frames for the left eye and for the right eye, but both frames have exactly the same 2K (1920 x 1080) resolution as with a regular 2D Blu-ray.

Then the articles I have read about this are clearly wrong.

Yes mate. That was what I was trying to explain myelf. a
And that is why 3D on highend Plasma in particular is way better than Led/LCD because of the refresh rate which is crucial to good 3D because of the alternating frame.

what is your thoughts on the uncoming approval if the 4k format next year, how many older titles do you think you will see released in 4k, or do you think we will only see new titles for a couple years? just wondering how over the next year or two how it is going to affect everyone collecting of blurays, i am sure years down the road there if the 4k has the calling like bluray it will get to the stage of collecting like bluray is now, but not too sure if it will catch on like 1080p has.
Until premium 4K editions come into play (there are a few already but not many) I am not going to change to 4K . One idea is to buy the digital 4k edition on itunes as its very inexpensive and then you can still keep the premium edition collectors editions but actually view the film in 4k....no need to re purchase 4k blu ray and no need to buy a new blu ray player.
I am still in awe of my blu ray discs 1080p quality and still love 3D blu ray so I am not in the mood for a change anytime soon

Until premium 4K editions come into play (there are a few already but not many) I am not going to change to 4K . One idea is to buy the digital 4k edition on itunes as its very inexpensive and then you can still keep the premium edition collectors editions but actually view the film in 4k....no need to re purchase 4k blu ray and no need to buy a new blu ray player.
I am still in awe of my blu ray discs 1080p quality and still love 3D blu ray so I am not in the mood for a change anytime soon
No doubt 1080p still looks excellent. 4K Blu-rays with HDR are definatly better but not by the same difference as it was from DVD to Blu-ray. I'm sure prices will continue to drop and it will become more affordable in the future to upgrade. Welcome to the forum!:)

I think 4k is going to be limited to only new or old films that can get special treatment for the format. So I can see the likes of Forbidden Planet getting it but not the likes of The Beast from 20 Thousand Fathoms. I think it'll be down to how good a film can hold up to analysis at such a high resolution and that will pretty much rule out 90% of films. Old sci-fi films will be a problem. They would need serious overhauling in terms of cleaning up matt lines and correcting visual mistakes. They would look bad in 4k otherwise. 2001 is one of the very few sci-fi films that can go straight to the format without any work. Ridley Scott had to do some digital enhancement on Blade Runner even for blu-ray never mind 4k.

I'm all in the 4k craze but these studios doing poor transfers need to cut it out. It's pretty crazy that (high cost) 8k consumer TVs are coming out in a few months. We're gonna go through the whole timeline all over again.