Have you ever "Quit" collecting Steelbooks?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I thought this might be a slightly different and interesting topic.

Ever so often I see people quit, and some come back etc.

So have you ever "Quit" collecting steelbooks only to start later on?

For those who are reading who have quit entirely, what made it easier for you? Just stopping, selling some, all etc?

Me personally, I started like gangbusters but then toned it down to great degree to where I'm able to collect moderately :)

So yeah, I have no plans of quitting ... this is just a unique (me thinks) topic for our community. :p

I considered it once....but the pusher man is too strong. He started me off with cheap steelbooks to get me hooked, and then I started trying to get the more expensive ones...to feed the habit... :naughty: :ohno:

125929891MyqnML_fs.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BluCrazy2
We're all a bunch of addicts lol :ohno:

It gets expensive, so I've thought about it. When I buy steelbooks, I'm buying multiple copies or an amaray along with the steelbook, so the cost does run up high. Still going strong though!

Great thread-I've contemplated it, as I also collect a few other pricey things, and I could probably buy another car or buy a small island with the value of my collection, LOL.

There are couple times amazon.de make me want to quit. The steelbooks I received is badly damaged, they sent me the replacement and the replacement also got damaged and of course I contacted them and I suspected they think I lied.. They requested the defective steelbooks to be sent back and guess what?!...the shipping cost ($67.24) to send the 4 steelbooks back cost more than the steelbooks and they authorized it. It has been a month now I am still waiting to hear from them. If they don't get back to me in 2 weeks time, I will stop buying from them.

I have no plan in quiting but maybe just from amazon.de

I think if you have the "collector sickness", it really doesn't matter if you quit, because you'll just find something else to collect. Over the years, I have collected all kinds of junk, but with a little incentive from my wife, now I have restricted myself to collecting only items related to this forum and the odd hunting rifle. So no. I won't quit, because I don't want to start over with something else. BTW, anybody want to buy a pile of Nascar $#!t!:D

I think if you have the "collector sickness", it really doesn't matter if you quit, because you'll just find something else to collect. Over the years, I have collected all kinds of junk, but with a little incentive from my wife, now I have restricted myself to collecting only items related to this forum and the odd hunting rifle. So no. I won't quit, because I don't want to start over with something else. BTW, anybody want to buy a pile of Nascar $#!t!:D

Very true. I was into comic books off and on over the years, baseball cards as well. What can I say, I collect things that interest me.

Ive definitely cut down this last month, Getting rid off doubles and triples of everything & kinda slowly getting back into collecting ltd edition sets again after years of collecting dvd's:ohno:

Very true. I was into comic books off and on over the years, baseball cards as well. What can I say, I collect things that interest me.

Me too, though I've always loved and been passionate about movies for like "ever" so thankfully I dont really ever see this as a waste. Especially since digital is gaining popularity and being a collector I want something tangible so these will always be cool parts of my movie collection that I dont feel is out dated like dvd etc.

i've always collected film,from vhs,dvd now blu-ray.always the ltd ed,im making an effort this year to calm down.im going to be more picky,getting to expensive.
plus if the mrs don't get a holiday this year i'll be the first person beaten to death with a steelbook.

Awesome topic :scat:

I am currently in the throws of "quitting", but I always knew that I would not be getting out of the game for good as I just love steelbooks too much.

I think went I started collecting I let the OCD side of my personality get the better of me and I went for them all. Don't get me wrong, it was a blast and I do not regret doing it, but oit was also very stressful and cost me a lot of money.

I am definately moving towards that place where collecting can be enjoyable and I will just buy the movies that I love and intend to watch, and I will open every steelbook that I buy.

Cheers
CRashKelly

Awesome topic :scat:

I am definately moving towards that place where collecting can be enjoyable and I will just buy the movies that I love and intend to watch, and I will open every steelbook that I buy.

Cheers
CRashKelly

Me too man, I've opened more steelbooks in the last 3 months probably then in the first couple years of collecting. :p

I think when i started i just to buy the steelbooks when i liked the film but latley it seems to be every release it is becoming very expensive still enjoying collecting steelbooks but being part of forums like this helps you release all the different versions of the same steelbook and made the decision a while ago only to buy the best available version of the steelbook released.

Me too, though I've always loved and been passionate about movies for like "ever" so thankfully I dont really ever see this as a waste. Especially since digital is gaining popularity and being a collector I want something tangible so these will always be cool parts of my movie collection that I dont feel is out dated like dvd etc.

The way I look at it, is if you enjoy it, it will never be a waste. I'll never buy into downloading my movies. I don't download my music, so the same will hold for films. Tangible is the way to go.

Reactions: tono06
To keep my collecting habits at bay, I usually buy a steel only if its a movie I would want to own anyways or if the artwork is like "the total shiznit". Other than that, I collect stuff multiple steels only of my favorite actors (like I did in dvd days) or my fav films.

I know Jimmy is secretly creating probably of the best TDK shrines, I'm working on my IB but have a ways to go :p and APsmith has got an awesome Iron Man shrine in the works that would make anyone envious. :)

Me too man, I've opened more steelbooks in the last 3 months probably then in the first couple years of collecting. :p

I still have not opened 1 steelbook from my current collection and I do not intend to.

I am pretty sure that The Matrix will be my first steelbook of the new collection, and it will get opened in the car moments after purchase. It is my rule to ensure I do not walk down the old path again

CHeers
CrashKelly

Funny thing is, thats how my old collection pretty much is ... The ones I have opened have been newer releases. All the RE's, Salt, etc. Stuff that gets a one country release tho, I'm not opening ;)