Have you ever "Quit" collecting Steelbooks?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I thought this might be a slightly different and interesting topic.

Ever so often I see people quit, and some come back etc.

So have you ever "Quit" collecting steelbooks only to start later on?

For those who are reading who have quit entirely, what made it easier for you? Just stopping, selling some, all etc?

Me personally, I started like gangbusters but then toned it down to great degree to where I'm able to collect moderately :)

So yeah, I have no plans of quitting ... this is just a unique (me thinks) topic for our community. :p

@Wreck did you help to change the art on the sixth sense back then, I remember there was a particular art coming up for that release but there was so many folks mad that in the end they changed it.....
No, we changed the art on both Iron Man 1 and 2 play.com versions. They werent going to be that.

Reactions: tono06
I posted a page back or so, but my steel buying days have pretty much come to an end in terms of regular releases.

Only going for premiums at this point, unless a guilty pleasure get's a release and I'm forced to reconsider. Like Emperor of the North or White Line Fever.

Reactions: Granada
I'm trying.

I've definitely cut back at least, mostly because the majority of my collection has been in boxes in my kitchen for 3 years now.

I'm still a sucker for game steelbooks though.

What made you cut down on the regular releases?
Once I got my first premium edition, typical steels somewhat lost a bit of their flavor. Time was I grabbed everything that came out. But that digressed to the occasional purchase. Now I'm almost at a point of not paying too much attention to what comes down the pike, other than Manta-esque releases. FAC, Cine...etc. Guess I'll throw Indicator in there too, even though their premiums aren't the steely kind. Still pretty boss, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: djjez83 and Noodles
It's too late for me to quit, kinda like Too Old to Die Young...
jm.gif

Might as well be buried in them. There's certainly enough by now.

So this thread is from 2011... wheeeeaaoow, people have been 'quitting' for a while now, huh.
Will Ferrell Loser GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Noodles
every time I buy a steelbook that costs me a little more I tell myself that I'm going to stop.
I've been saying this for 100 steelbooks ago...

The truth is that I'm buying new movies less and less and looking for good deals on used ones.

I keep saying I’ll give up on due to the laziness. Appalling artwork, not putting a title on them so they can avoid the problem of non English speaking countries. And to be honest the 4K Amray cases have the artwork and the titles printed on the front. Disney seem to be the worst culprits. Who could forget when we thought we going to get the proper artwork for Star Wars: The Force Awakens and then what arrived in 2016. Toy Story 4 - don’t even start on that one. And to see those Disney 100 steelbooks they’re about to unleash in the US. Is there an underlying plan to kill steelbooks off? Saying that Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and the new Sham movie both look good.

The situation in Canada is definitely starting to wear my patience. Warners DC release steelbook titles are very hit and miss , and it would appear that Disney/Marvel have gone the same way.
I actually live very close to the USA border, but Best Buy USA ship to store pre orders can be an intermittent availability pain in the ass

I've never quit but I did have a purge a short while back, sold off all the steels I bought on a whim or of movies that I was no longer keen on.

Since the Infinity Saga completed I've stopped buying WWA of Marvel movies, I feel the quality has dipped significantly and if you have Disney+ the IMAX presentations are available there.

Reactions: Granada
I only have 11 in my collection total. I’ve never liked to own a lot of things… I’m more of a minimalist. However I’ve always been a huge movie fanatic. Though I realised because everything had moved to streaming it meant I didn’t actually ‘own’ my all time favourite films. I was merely renting them. So I decided to only collect special editions of my all time favourites AND they had to be movies I would rewatch often. There’s definitely some classics still out there that I love but wouldn’t purchase as they’re too sad to watch again and again. I see some people on here posting ‘blind buys’ or ‘this movie sucked ass but the steel is nice’ and I could just never do that… but to each their own :) If anyone is looking to quit or just reduce their library, it’s actually quite a fun exercises to think what are the 10-30 movies you truly couldn’t go without? What are the top films that have significant meaning to you? And of those, what ones would you actually rewatch again and again. Those might be the ones worth holding on to.

I only have 11 in my collection total. I’ve never liked to own a lot of things… I’m more of a minimalist. However I’ve always been a huge movie fanatic. Though I realised because everything had moved to streaming it meant I didn’t actually ‘own’ my all time favourite films. I was merely renting them. So I decided to only collect special editions of my all time favourites AND they had to be movies I would rewatch often. There’s definitely some classics still out there that I love but wouldn’t purchase as they’re too sad to watch again and again. I see some people on here posting ‘blind buys’ or ‘this movie sucked ass but the steel is nice’ and I could just never do that… but to each their own :) If anyone is looking to quit or just reduce their library, it’s actually quite a fun exercises to think what are the 10-30 movies you truly couldn’t go without? What are the top films that have significant meaning to you? And of those, what ones would you actually rewatch again and again. Those might be the ones worth holding on to.
The way that I collect is very similar.
I've tried to keep it all 4K if possible. Only collect my favourite movies - movies that are ONLY in my Top 100 (yes, I tried to compile my 100 best and quickly realised that I didn't even have that many to list, so it's a growing count which is good and I've decided never to go over 100. That's the limit).
I pick only steels if possible and steels that are great quality, so going back to the earliest blu ray releases is a regular occurrence.
Don't give into the Fomo. Don't double dip. Don't overpay.
If a film isn't on 4K yet, I tend to wait to see if it gets a remaster release. If it's hard to find and unlikely to see a 4K release, then and only then will I buy it on standard blu ray.
It may seem pedantic and anal, but collecting this way I keep a very streamlined collection and never fall into the trap of wasting time, money, storage and most of all it doesn't affect my mental health. I'm the type of personality that could easily cascade into becoming a hoarder, so I've learnt to be disciplined in all areas of life.

Boring bastard aren't I? :LOL: :smuggrin:

I've never quit but I did have a purge a short while back, sold off all the steels I bought on a whim or of movies that I was no longer keen on.

Since the Infinity Saga completed I've stopped buying WWA of Marvel movies, I feel the quality has dipped significantly and if you have Disney+ the IMAX presentations are available there.
I'm with you on Marvel. Now that the Infinity Saga is over and many of the characters I care about are gone, AND the fact that some of the latest efforts I saw as garbage, I doubt I'll even consider a premium. Well, maybe for the final Guardians installment.

Since having my first kid i barely collect them nowadays, I have even sold off half my bluray collection (non steelbooks) as i have ripped all my movies and tv shows to my plex server.

I have stopped collecting MCU steelbooks now, I stopped at End game, I have all the zavvi lenti series but nothing after end game has grabbed my attention tbh.

I buy the odd steelbook now and then but it needs to be a really decent steel for me to jump on it.

I have limited my purchases to mainly premium (but only if I like the Steelbook)

I just got fed up of rerelease after rerelease with average to poor artwork while at the same time tripling the price.

Plus fed up of quality issues (scratches, dings and dents)

Although the last standard Steelbook that I have purchased is ‘Star Trek strange new Worlds’ for £35

Don’t mind paying that for a decent tv series and good Steelbook artwork.

before that…Top Gun Maverick…arrived damaged (sent it back for a full refund and just purchased the digital release for a third of the price)

Less hassle unfortunately :-(

Wow, 11. I couldn't reduce to so little.
But I do keep my favorites separately, there's at least 300-500 I would keep, but half of them don't even have a Blu-ray release.
Limiting myself to just so called '4K' is of course out of the question.
Did not like HDR, so I've stopped buying UHD just for them, only if it's a new movie, and it just comes with it by default. I actually prefer just the higher resolution, so download those pirate file versions that are 2160p, and maybe 10bit, but without damn HDR.

I used to think one day a official steelbook assessor would come knocking to look at my shelves and appraise the quality, variety and condition of my steelbook collection, I’ve come to realise nobody gives a **** about my steelbooks, not even me

I don’t collect steelbooks anymore