• I am not sure if I will-I am on the fence

Votes: 20 7.7%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hey ninjas!

A fun poll for you to comment and share whether you've upgraded your equipment/discs, and why you have or haven't done so.

Have fun!

DB

uhd1-jpg.253454

Attachments

• uhd1.jpg
    uhd1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 4,760
Last edited:
i just bought sony XBR55X850D and i pre ordered xbox one S 4K player i will have it in less 2 week and after that i will check which one will be my first 4K movie

I have a UHD TV, but I don't own a 4K BR player yet. I'm waiting for the market to expand some more and become more accessible. The best price on a player I can find retails for £320+ on Amazon. But I'd like for more titles to become available. Besides Sony and Warner are the only film studios to have released titles on the platform (to my knowledge).

I will be in 10 days with the launch of the Xbox One S & have preordered the 4K discs of Batman V Superman & Ghostbusters (2016). Though I still haven't got a 4K TV yet, I've my eye on a couple & will be picking one up soon.

Reactions: digitalbabe
I've had a 4k tv for a little over a year. Got my Xbox One S 2tb pre ordered and picking it up on release day August 2nd! Already have Batman vs. Superman, Deadpool, and Allegiant in 4k. Planning on picking a few more 4k disc's up the week I get my xbox one s!

I've only had my current TV for 2.5 years atm so can't really justify the price of new equipment right now.

When I finally do get one is it worth getting a 3D UHD TV? I do tend to watch a few 3D movies at home but the extra price for 3D 4k over 2D 4k doesn't really seem worth it.

I have two 4K TVs at home but they're 4K because I couldn't find a well priced 1080p tv here. All of them are 4K now and they sell for the same price. So I have the TV but I don't care about 4K

from all that I have seen so far pictures is not that great. don't like LEd. I am a fan of Plasma(which is almost gone such a shame) and 3D and last I heard is that 4K was not compatible with 3D...don't know much about it just bits and pieces I heard about but this does not interest me 1 bit. I mean freakin HD Blu-ray as we have them now is insane picture quality. I don't see the need for it and until I see some great ones and that I will be hearing it will be 3D compatible also, I will resist until I have no choice.
But all the 4K edition that I have seen so far do not contain 3D disks as I always go for the 3d when available and the 4K disks are on another editions.

3D + Blu-ray = :happy:

4K = :yuck:

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisIW
Just took delivery of a 65" LG 4K E6 OLED and the picture is out of this world....:OMG: (Had it pro calibrated)

Have currently 17 titles in 4K UHD with a few more on pre order...
Just waiting on Oppo announcing their 4K blu ray player. Have the Panasonic one at present...:naughty:

With 4K it's not so much the increased resolution that is the game changer. But the HDR that makes it special and is definitely the game changer IMO..
My jaw drops every time I watch my new OLED and even SDR gets a boost on the 10 bit panel with wider colour gamut, and looks spectacular. :notworthy:

And 3D on a 4K OLED looks spectacular....:thumbs: Gives it a whole new leese of life...:wow:

Wild horses could never drag me back to just having a standard 8 bit 1080p panel now...:cigar:

Last edited:
4k is only visible on truly massive screens. I've got a 42" which is big enough for me. Probably will never buy anything 4k-related (for the purpose of that 4k).

When I will buy a new tv (current tv only 2 years old, so probably at the very least 3 years into the future) it will probably be 4k because that will be the standard then, but the improvement for me would most likely only be the HDR then. The 4k remains, and always will be, completely useless on screens any smaller than massive monsters.

resolution_chart.jpg

Last edited:
I'll upgrade to a 4K set once OLED becomes affordable. The main advantages of the tech for me are better colour reproduction and Full HD passive 3D. Otherwise 1080p is fine, there'll probably be a few films I'll upgrade to 4K with but for the most part I'll stick with the BDs I own. IMO there's a lot of 1080p releases that aren't nearly as good as they could be, maybe 4K will force studios to release better versions of these films too

had to select -
No, equipment and discs are still too expensive

Though really, I'm just waiting for my TV and Blu-ray players to pack up before I upgrade, but hopefully by then the prices will have come down too.
I'm not wanting to replace all my steelbooks mind, so any disc's of movies I will replace, will have to be bargain bucket discs for the most part as I'll simply be adding the discs to my current steelbook collection. No way am re-buying steelbooks.

For me 4K just isn't important enough, or different enough, to be worth the investment. In my opinion 3D is a far more interesting technology that does add something genuinely different to the viewing experience.

To be honest it annoys me when I see a film with a 4K option as I think it's extra effort and expense that could have been better spent on a 3D release.

i have zero desire to entertain 4K. blu ray picture quality is plenty lush and gorgeous for me.

also, i have other reasons for feeling very strong reservations for buying into 4K because it wreaks of "grasping" to stay relevant by marketing the next level. Seems so gimmicky. when I pop in a blu ray, the last thing I'm thinking is that I wish the picture was better. My only real complaint with blu ray discs and players is that it's still way too painfully slow to load and navigate. That and the fact that some discs respect the consumers by offering "resume play" feature while other discs give a middle finger and make you start over every time you power off/back up again.

save for that, I love blu ray.