• I am not sure if I will-I am on the fence

Votes: 20 7.7%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hey ninjas!

A fun poll for you to comment and share whether you've upgraded your equipment/discs, and why you have or haven't done so.

Have fun!

DB

uhd1-jpg.253454

Attachments

• uhd1.jpg
    uhd1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 4,760
Last edited:
Hi, I am from Italy, 4k TV are everywhere here and all the retailers are pushing the new technology but the regular client who buy a 4k tv usually doesn't upgrade to a 4k player so it ends up only a few are willing and able to benefit of it. Concerning myself I get a 55'LG Oled tv, 203 Oppo and 50 4k movies so far, I was able to secure most of them for 15 euro with different discount around ( Allied was the first one and I was blown away by the PQ ). So I am in to be an enthusiast..:)))

Got all the kit including a 2016 OLED as I wanted to keep the 3D option.

Found a site that had a good table of which films are great in 3D vs 4K and vice verse but I can't remember what it was and haven't been able to find it.

Happy to watch either depending on the film.

• Thanks
Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Have a Sony Z9D 75" coming on Friday with an Oppo 203 and a Denon Avr X-2400H.:thumbs:
Christmas is early!
(Wouldn't have happened if my Samsung hadn't started clouding...I am sooooo Done with Samsung.
Their micro dimming is evil). Nice to be back with Sony after all these years. (LG C7 just wasn't bright enough....and Z9D still has 3D).

Grabbed a 75" Vizio last week and will be getting a XBX next week to complete the setup. :)

IMG_20171019_212321.jpg
Let us know how it is. I here Vizio does a good job!
(if you hang that yourself – please attach to studs!! ( you'd be surprised how many YouTube videos you can find with large flat panel TVs falling off the wall from self installations!!)).

• Thanks
Reactions: Jason Bourne
Let us know how it is. I here Vizio does a good job!
(if you hang that yourself – please attach to studs!! ( you'd be surprised how many YouTube videos you can find with large flat panel TVs falling off the wall from self installations!!)).

So far in my short time with the TV it has been great. Meets all my expectations and PQ is solid whether you have the lights on or off. I did not hang this beast and instead just bought a new TV stand for it. Grabbed the XBX to finish the setup up. :)

IMG_20171107_153013.jpg

IMG_20171019_160915.jpg

Last edited:
So far in my short time with the TV it has been great. Meets all my expectations and PQ is solid whether you have the lights on or off. I did not hang this beast and instead just bought a new TV stand for it. Grabbed the XBX to finish the setup up. :)

IMG_20171107_153013.jpg

IMG_20171019_160915.jpg
Great! Vizio M Series is well regarded. Don't forget to toggle on "Game Low Latency" setting when playing X Box!

• Thanks
I keep forgetting half the time! lol. I need to just make a separate game mode version of my current calibration with that setting turned on.
Sure. Yeah, some people like to have a Movie mode, Game mode, Daytime mode, Nightime mode, etc.
I have yet to play a game on my 4K! I also bought an X box during Black friday ($169!).
I'm mostly a PS4 guy, but with that deal....also I bought Quantum Break a while back!for the day I finally did buy one!
Since 4K gaming isn't quite there yet, it was a good buy (to get Xbox S). 4K gaming needs another year or so to be fully ready.

• Thanks
Bought a Panasonic 58" last year then this year returned it as it was giving me slight issues and went for LG OLED but late last year's model because of the 3D and it just blows you away. Upgraded my Xbox S to the One X Project Scorpio edition and modified my Samsung 4K player to Multiregion for Blu-Rays and upgraded my Denon AV unit for the Denon X2300W for the HDR and Atmos

upgraded a short while before Christmas through necessity, as my old Samsung had stopped doing firmware updates (for all aspects). which sucked. :angry: :grumpy: tried muddling through for a while (it wasn't even a smart tv :bag:, but it was good), but when the Digital Rights Management issues became too great and every second purchase wouldn't play :pain:, it was more than time to upgrade! :LOL:

unfortunately i don't have 20/20 vision, so while 3D is fun, it's not a must-have for me. i'm very impressed with 4k so far. most of the 4K releases i have so far are either documentaries (e.g. Planet Earth II) or films where the 4K transfer looks to be pretty good (Fury Road, etc). there are exceptions - Suicide Squad is bad on 4K, but then 4K is just like blu ray in one regard - some releases get it right, and some are no better than the previous format.

while i can genuinely see a difference from blu ray to 4K in terms of picture quality, for me it's the higher dynamic range on colours that's really the biggest reason to have 4k, if you are considering. even my significant other, who finds my obsession with cinema all a bit strange, said unprompted that they could see an immediate difference/improvement. the upscaling on traditional blu ray or even dvds is also pretty marked.

now running a 55" Panasonic TX50EX700B + their entry level 4K player (Panasonic DMPUB300), through a Sony STRDN1080 and Canton MOVIE 75 surround. i much prefer my new Panasonic's more natural look and feel for cinema than the old over-saturated Samsung. but then, that;s why there's so many models - each to their own. :thumbs: :)

Bought the tv and xbox one last year, its a nice little treat to pop in a 4k movie. A film like BR 2049 really makes the upgrade worthwhile.

While I have purchased the odd blu-ray/4k combo I have yet to bite. It will happen this year but I will be very very selective in my 4k buying. Most purchases will be blu-ray unless it's a genuine 4k awesome pressing and not a 2k upscale. I'm hoping that the forthcoming 2001 4k pressing will the start of amazing 4k pressings...... So far only half a dozen pressings seem to have hit the mark with critics.

why would anybody support this. They dropped 3D as soon as 4K came around, its going to be the same thing all over again with the next thing

why would anybody support this. They dropped 3D as soon as 4K came around, its going to be the same thing all over again with the next thing
I'd be shocked to see if 8k could offer a discernible difference then 4k tho to the human eye at home to be honest. And with streaming all the young'ns care about I think its hard pressed to think an 8k disc format could ever really become a viable option for the studios.

So I think 4k could be last real disc format. Doesn't mean I'll run out and by everything 4k, but as im buying new movies if pricing is only $5 more then worth it and/or wait till price drops on titles i feel I want a higher quality disc for. And then of course just favorites.

I loved 3d but my 3d tv took a **** and I think im more mad at the tv manufacturers who arent offering it at all in the sub 1k$ range (so I could have another TV setup to handle that) cause im not dropping the crazy prices for the handful of tvs even out there that match tech specs I want and include 3d.

There's rumor that 3d could make a comeback from the tv manufacturers so who knows maybe.... another ploy to sell them once the world's 3d tvs take a sh!t lol