Heat (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 8, 2022
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on June 15, at 9 AM for Red Carpet, at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £27.99
Notes: 3 discs - Film on 4K and Blu-ray and Blu-ray Extras Disc

Heat.jpg

Heat.jpg Heat (back).jpg Heat (inside).jpg

Last edited:
That's somewhat disappointing. I was on the verge of cancelling this too before Rambo got pushed. Oh well.
Maybe issues with cramming it onto a lower capacity disc and the cool filter look compared to earlier releases. Still better than the blu ray though supposedly. I quite like the steelbook personall.

Just glanced at a couple of reviews,,, said a bit darker, Mann regarded a bit,, more blue, but nothing terrible jumped out, just different,,

It's a waste of higher resolution. I wish they'd just back off with that HDR and didn't screw with colors.

It's a waste of higher resolution. I wish they'd just back off with that HDR and didn't screw with colors.
HDR is good, filtering alters the whole mood of the film. When done correctly HDR will bring out loads of detail in burned out highlights and crushed shadows. Look at the light that Indy and Marion are tied to at the end of raiders of the lost ark; on the blu ray it looked like the moon above but now we see it’s actually a lamp post.

Reactions: Jaxxx and Andy3105
Apparently the transfer is weak also!
Slightly improved detail, but the transfer is bit starved so has some blocking. It also has a weird brownish tint to it so whites aren't white.

Example below between 1080p blu-ray upscaled to UHD vs UHD. Colour change isn't due to HDR conversion, it's how they appear on screen naturally.

Blu-ray

bluray.png

UHD

uhd.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: jailbird_joey
Slightly improved detail, but the transfer is bit starved so has some blocking. It also has a weird brownish tint to it so whites aren't white.

Example below between 1080p blu-ray upscaled to UHD vs UHD. Colour change isn't due to HDR conversion, it's how they appear on screen naturally.

Blu-ray

View attachment 539185

UHD

View attachment 539186

Is the included blu ray the same colour timing? just wondered if the blu ray was the earlier release. the director wanted the colour tint change supposedly. Almost like an apply to all kind of filter rather than a frame by frame hdr. Application. ie cheap.

Personally I love the steelbook, the transfer looks fantastic but as with all Mann films, he has a distinct grit that doesn't make for a night and day difference (Collateral 4K for example).

Now I need him to do a 4K of his Miami Vice director's cut.

I haven't found an unboxing video for the US release yet but I read elsewhere from somebody who already received it that the steelbook has a gloss finish.

Hopefully there will be a video somewhere soon.

Here's a quick unboxing video for the US steelbook. Not a very good one but it's short and I'm just posting it so you can see that it's glossy for the few seconds that you actually get to see it.

Looks really good. Especially the colour.

So US one is glossy, but UK is matte.

Such annoying sudden glass breaking effect in that unboxing.

It's still crappy, as is the new color timing.

I didn't realize until I read elsewhere that Michael Mann is the person pictured in the interior artwork.
Oh, I knew it wasn't a shot from the movie!