HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How are HMV still charging £30 for Jumanji 2, terminator dark fate and Zombieland 2!? Also £35 for hellboy 2 and don’t look now lol. I think they need to sort their brains out and actually start dropping prices of steels like they would with standard Blu rays and DVDs. Seems like a p!ss take to me
Lol yeah... even with the 20% discount some of them are still too much IMO.

How are HMV still charging £30 for Jumanji 2, terminator dark fate and Zombieland 2!? Also £35 for hellboy 2 and don’t look now lol. I think they need to sort their brains out and actually start dropping prices of steels like they would with standard Blu rays and DVDs. Seems like a p!ss take to me

Yeah reminds me of FYE in the US, they have all these older titles that just haven't moved because they refuse to budge on the price

HMV will open its doors in Dublin on June 30th, 2023 at 18 Henry Street. This will be HMV's first store in Ireland for almost 10 years.

The shop will stock over 15,000 products across their three floors in the 6,000 sq. ft store. There will be 10,000 vinyl albums and CDs, as well as a wide range of music technology products.

There will be over 3,000 products across franchises such as Stranger Things, Pokémon, Star Wars, Marvel and DC, as well as over 1,000 different T-shirt designs. The first 150 customers who make a purchase will receive a free opening day goodie bag full of Kenji or Funko products.

HMV will open at 10am on Friday, June 30th where customers can also take advantage of amazing in-store offers, including the two for €50 vinyl offer. Its opening hours will be 9am to 7 pm on Monday to Wednesday and Friday to Saturday, 9am to 8pm on Thursday and 11am to 7pm on Sunday.

With a purpose-built performance space in-store, HMV Henry Street is expected to draw signings and performances from both established international artists and grassroots local bands. So far, the programme has seen over 1,600 gigs performed this year in stores across the UK.

Phil Halliday, HMV Managing Director, UK and Ireland said: “hmv has a rich history in Dublin, and we’re hugely excited it is the first destination for our overseas expansion. We cannot wait to open our doors and welcome fans back. Our customers will notice our dedication to becoming the best music destination in town , but will also find we’ve expanded our offering to a host of must-have ranges they won’t find anywhere else under one roof.”

On Saturday, July 1st, there are four exciting events happening as part of HMV’s Live & Local programme, more information will be announced on HMV's Instagram.

Last edited:
The shop will stock over 15,000 products across their three floors in the 6,000 sq. ft store. There will be 10,000 vinyl albums and CDs, as well as a wide range of music technology products.

There will be over 3,000 products across franchises such as Stranger Things, Pokémon, Star Wars, Marvel and DC, as well as over 1,000 different T-shirt designs. The first 150 customers who make a purchase will receive a free opening day goodie bag full of Kenji or Funko products.
No mention of physical media at all (DVD's, Blu Ray, 4K UHD)????

Irish Times inteview with Phil Halliday, managing director of HMV Europe,
The Dublin launch has been “a focus of the business” since last May when the plan began to take shape, the Englishman says, but it has not been without its difficulties. Brexit has been a particular challenge, Halliday explains.

“We’ve had to learn all about commodity codes, customs, duties. All of our 200 suppliers, how are you going to get the stuff to the store? Do you have European warehouses? Who will be willing to deliver to the store? So there has been a lot of education certainly.”

Whether the juice proves to be worth the squeeze remains to be seen but Halliday is confident that amid dwindling consumer discretionary budgets, HMV can offer attractive prices. For example, HMV’s two records for €50 deal. He’s also resolute in his confidence about the future for physical media and retail in the era of ecommerce and on-demand content.

“It is an adjustment that’s happening,” he says. “But I think the blend of bricks and mortar and online, if you’ve got that right, you’ll be in a really good position.” The HMV website will launch in Ireland later this year.

The issue for HMV in regards to selling DVD/Blu-ray/UHD in Dublin Store is they get that stock from UK suppliers/UK distributors

Moving UK stock to Republic of Ireland invloves commodity codes, customs, duties etc
HMV bulk buy from UK Suppliers for their shops that was not a issue before brexit in shipping UK stock to Republic Ireland

I'm sure HMV will eventually setup accounts with Republic of Ireland distributors/suppliers to avoid the import issues due to brexit

I expect you will see DVD/Blu-ray/UHD releases listed on the HMV Ireland online Store when that gets launched later this year

Reactions: BluSteel2012
If any Ireland members was not aware, the HMV Store in Dublin now stocks some Blu-ray and UHD discs.
This started to happen before December 2023.

The HMV Limerick Store also reopened in September 2023

HMV cancels restock of Lawrence of Arabia 4k steelbook citing "no longer released by our suppliers" & "it's removal from the release schedule".

Screenshot_2024-01-24-13-30-23-089_com.microsoft.office.outlook~2.jpg