In urgent need of computer assistance

KD Scorp

Happy Hunger Games
Premium Supporter
Jan 5, 2014
Smethwick, West Midlands/UK
Hey guys!

So, obviously you all want me on HDN ;-)

I have a major problem concerning my computer though.

Just a bit of history:
My computer is around 10 years old, runs windows vista and only has a basic 250gb HDD.

The only additional internal hardware is a Netgear Network Adapter.
I have tried taking it out then switching the computer on but the beep continues.

I was on my computer earlier on, then all of a sudden a high pitch noise started emitting from my motherboard or something in my computer that I can't quite pinpoint.

It happens when I switch the computer on, and the video is below.

I've removed various components and the beeping stays the same. In fact the only time it goes off is when the power isn't connected.

If anyone can provide any assistance then please do!

Also if anyone provides a working solution that involves me spending very very little or no money, I will send you a gift =]

Did you remove your graphic's card? make sure it is seated correctly as you might have dislodged it by mistake!

also check your ram is seated correctly and that the power and sata connector are connected correctly to the hard drive!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KD Scorp
It won't even display anything on the monitor. I'm not too sure what it is.

I've checked my graphics card and it's still in correctly, I've tried rebooting and my beep is still there. I'm hoping it's not a case of taking the whole thing apart and then putting it all back together (I only tend to take 1 thing out at a time)

Also this is my motherboard
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/si...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Last edited:
Computer had to be dismantled and used for parts. Had to make do with the missus computer which is newer and faster than mine to my surprise!

Thanks to all for helping me! My
Computer did at one point boot up but that was after removing one of my 2 ram cards which caused it to be mega slow. So there we go! New computer and it's been formatted to my liking! =]

Reactions: Flip
usurping this thread

Any thoughts on a faulty usb port on a laptop. Am I just screwed or is there a fix.

I've plugged in multiple items into the port; nothing. I've disabled and reenabled the port; noting. Restarted, Drives (both HP and Intel)

The only thing I have not done is 'unistall' the device because i'm worried that if it is broken then it won't be recognized when something is plugged into the port and nothing will refresh in device manager

usurping this thread

Any thoughts on a faulty usb port on a laptop. Am I just screwed or is there a fix.

I've plugged in multiple items into the port; nothing. I've disabled and reenabled the port; noting. Restarted, Drives (both HP and Intel)

The only thing I have not done is 'unistall' the device because i'm worried that if it is broken then it won't be recognized when something is plugged into the port and nothing will refresh in device manager
In device manager uninstall the device and restart windows and let windows reinstall the driver for it, it could be just a faulty driver.

Reactions: mllNY
In device manager uninstall the device and restart windows and let windows reinstall the driver for it, it could be just a faulty driver.
that was the one thing i have not done, like if i uninstall what happens if i restart and it doesn't recognize it and nothing happens and then the device is gone in the device manager for good

that was the one thing i have not done, like if i uninstall what happens if i restart and it doesn't recognize it and nothing happens and then the device is gone in the device manager for good
It uninstalls the driver for that USB device and then once you restart Windows it reinstalls it. This way if your driver has become corrupt you can repair it this way.

It uninstalls the driver for that USB device and then once you restart Windows it reinstalls it. This way if your driver has become corrupt you can repair it this way.
unistalled it and while it does reinstall the driver nothing happens when i plug anything into the USB port
i think the port may be done

unistalled it and while it does reinstall the driver nothing happens when i plug anything into the USB port
i think the port may be done
Yeah that's what it sounds like, probably a burned solder point on the board or a faulty controller. Your only option at this point is to take it to an authorized laptop repair shop, my suggestion is not the Geek Squad as they will charge you a new kidney to fix it. Look in your area for a brick and mortar repair shop, you also might find a few and just call around and get some rates. Try and find one that will look at it free of charge and not charge you just to look at it. I had to take my MSI gaming laptop in to one and found that the battery went bad and expanded and shorted out the battery connection to the motherboard and so mine is no longer able to have a battery and has to plugged in to operate.