Canada
Release date: July 13, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon FR - FNAC
Price: €29.99
Notes: Limited to 1500 copies

INDIANA-JONES-ET-LE-TEMPLE-MAUDIT-steelbook-4K.jpg
indiana-jones-et-le-temple-maudit-combo-uhd-4k-bd-steelbook-edition-limitee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First steelbook for The Temple of Doom used that poster art, so this one is different, unlike the Raiders one. But since it's turning out to be a set, I'll have to get all...

HDZeta are doing all of these with slips amd booklets?
This is the Drew Struzan art and IMO superior to the pretty basic Bruce Wolfe poster.

Arrow Video 4K UHD releases have been 3 to 4 years after Blu-ray Limited Edition releases not 1 year later :rofl:

Most have been 3 years later in regards to Arrow Video Blu-ray Limited Edition and 4K UHD Limited Edition

Examples
Robocop and American Werewolf in London Blu-ray Limited Editions was in 2019
Those 4K UHD limited edition releases was in 2022 as in 3 years after the Blu-ray limited editions

Donnie Darko was 4 years later
Blu-ray Limited Edition in 2017
4K UHD limited edition in 2021

This is the first time Indiana Jones films have got individual releases as separate 4K UHD steelbooks
Previous 4K UHD release was a 4K UHD Box Set with 4 films
The previous 4K UHD release in 2021 was 4 steelbooks in a Box Set of all 4 Indiana Jones Films not separate steelbook releases in 4K UHD
You had to purchase a Box Set

The previous UK separate individual Blu-ray Indiana Jones steelbooks releases was in 2014 (8 years ago)

USA only had raiders of lost ark individual as a individual Blu-ray steelbook in 2015 a best buy exclusive

The other USA blu-ray steelbook release in 2019 was all 4 films in a single steelbook a Walmart exclusive

A 4K UHD Steelbooks Box Set with 4 films and a separate 4K UHD steelbook that is just 1 film release not the same thing

France previously only had Indiana Jones 4K UHD Box Set with 4 steelbooks in 2021

2012 France Blu-ray Box set with all 4 films was a metal tin with digipack inside not a steelbook as such

This is the first time in France you could get individual separate steelbooks for Indiana Jones films as the previous Blu-ray and 4K UHD releases was Box Sets with all 4 Films
Forgot Robocop was in 2019, but was generalizing about the industry. Even if it's 2 or 3 years later, many of Arrow's releases are redundant and lazy in design, where they reuse the exact same artwork/materials.

The first Indiana Jones 4K steelbook set came out last year, now they are releasing another set of 4K steelbooks with better artwork. Made no mention of previous releases, whether individual or not, and don't really care. You clearly have a lot of free time on your hands, Paul... Don't really care about the other unnecessary info you posted. :rofl:

Forgot Robocop was in 2019, but was generalizing about the industry. Even if it's 2 or 3 years later, many of Arrow's releases are redundant and lazy in design, where they reuse the exact same artwork/materials.

The first Indiana Jones 4K steelbook set came out last year, now they are releasing another set of 4K steelbooks with better artwork. Made no mention of previous releases, whether individual or not, and don't really care. You clearly have a lot of free time on your hands, Paul... Don't really care about the other unnecessary info you posted. :rofl:
That was a Box Set that included 4 steelbooks not individual steelbooks available to purchase separately that's a huge difference

This is the first time in France you can purchase separately a steelbook of Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of Doom

That was a Box Set that included 4 steelbooks not individual steelbooks releases that's a huge difference

This is the first time in France you can purchase separately a steelbook of Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of Doom
Not really, but made no mention of that either way.

Reactions: Leafs17
Not really, but made no mention of that either way.
It does make a difference in regards to home media releases

Example
If you wanted just a Blu-ray or 4K UHD Raiders of Lost Ark as a steelbook on it's own in France that option was not available previously

A Box Set that has 4 steelbooks is not the same as purchasing a individual steelbook on its own even if artwork was same or different to a previous release

I'm actually surprised there has not been multiple separate individual steelbook releases previously over the years in France and other countries

In regards to UK separate steelbooks option on their own was 8 years ago

Sure, but since steelbooks are generally for collectors, most people will buy the whole set, whether as part of a box set or an individual basis. Most casual fans who don't want all the movies will be fine with standard movie releases if they don't want the whole set, especially if they are more affordable. But again, made no mention about those details in my original post. My original post was more about feeling ripped off regarding industry practices.

Sure, but since steelbooks are generally for collectors, most people will buy the whole set, whether as part of a box set or an individual basis. Most casual fans who don't want all the movies will be fine with standard movie releases if they don't want the whole set, especially if they are more affordable. But again, made no mention about those details in my original post. My original post was more about feeling ripped off regarding industry practices.
It's different artwork It's not the previous 4K UHD steelbooks been sold separately again

I'm actually shocked there has not been multiple different steelbook releases every few years as they would still sell out and was a missed opportunity for sales and that applies if they was separate Blu-ray or 4K UHD steelbooks

It's different artwork It's not the previous 4K UHD steelbooks been sold separately again
Made no mention of that. I was simply commenting on what various people in this forum stated regarding how they would have not bought the previous 4K steelbook box set because they didn't like those artworks like the artworks being used on the new ones. People in the industry know collectors will sucker their selves into buying multiple versions of the same movie, either because of better artwork or better format, but that is obviously nothing new.

For example, I would have not bought the previous Blu-ray limited editions or steelbooks for Robocop or An American Werewolf in London had I known Arrow would eventually release the same product with 4K. And I would have passed on the Indiana Jones 4K steelbook box set had I known about these newer ones coming out a year later. That's all I was getting at.

For example, I would have not bought the previous Blu-ray limited editions or steelbooks for Robocop or An American Werewolf in London had I known Arrow would eventually release the same product with 4K. And I would have passed on the Indiana Jones 4K steelbook box set had I known about these newer ones coming out a year later. That's all I was getting at.

That's exactly what I meant as well, before Paul went into a defensive lawyer mode, as if we're in court.
I often tend to be 'the devil's advocate', taking the unpopular side, but Arrow knows what they did, everyone knows and understands they were suckered.

Reactions: MM3
That's exactly what I meant as well, before Paul went into a defensive lawyer mode, as if we're in court.
I often tend to be 'the devil's advocate', taking the unpopular side, but Arrow knows what they did, everyone knows and understands they were suckered.

In regards to Arrow Video they did not have a licence from film studios in 2019 to do any 4K UHD releases
So there would not been a 4K UHD release of RoboCop or American Werewolf in London from Arrow Video in 2019 even if Arrow wanted to do a UHD release
Both those films was licenced from MGM and Universal and in 2019 Arrow only got a licence to do Blu-ray releases

Arrow Video then 3 years later in 2022 got a separate licence to release RoboCop or American Werewolf in London on UHD format

Blu-ray and UHD disc format releases are separate license
A independent label needs permission to do a UHD release as they have to licence a film from a Film Studios who own a film rights and also involves paying rights holder to get the licence to do a release
Arrow don't own the film rights to these releases

2016 - 2019 UHD unit disc sales was very small amount so even if film studios had given a UHD licence to independent labels in 2016 to 2019 it would not been viable financially for independent labels to do a UHD release then

This is why you only started to see independent labels Scream Factory/Arrow Video/Kino Lorber/Second Sight etc start to do UHD releases from 2020/2021 as previously they did not have licence to do UHD and also was not financially viable to do UHD releases before 2020 as UHD discs sales was tiny market share compared to DVD/Blu-ray

Arrow Video UHD releases have been 3 to 4 years and some even a longer period of time after their first Blu-ray releases and those Blu-ray releases was when they did not have a licence to do UHD releases and also was not financially viable between 2016-2019 to do a UHD release

Arrow first UHD Disc release Pitch Black was not until August 2020 all previous Arrow releases before August 2020 was Formats VHS or DVD or Blu-ray
Arrow Films was established in 1991 when home media format was VHS

It's different for Film Studios that own the film distribution rights the costs involved in doing DVD/Blu-ray/UHD releases are lot less which is why majority of UHD releases 2016-2019 was from the film studios labels that owned the film rights themselves
Examples Warner/Sony/Fox//MGM/Universal/StudioCanal/Paramount/Disney those are labels that own the film rights to their releases

Independent labels have to licence releases from distributor labels that own the rights to the films as in pay the rights holder and get permission to do a release
If you are not aware some film titles the rights holder can restrict which home media format licence that will be allowed

Also reminder a 2K/4K/6K/8K scan of a negative is about film restoration itself not what disc format it ends up been released on

Last edited:
academy awards oscars GIF

I don't care what the market was like, or if they had a license. They got a license when they asked and paid for it. They thought about it for sure, planned it. Companies like that plan ahead a few years. Everyone knows what they did. And we all do, what we do - buy the next new shiny thing. Plus editions like those steelbook and hard boxset at $50 buy only collectors like us, and we existed '3-4 years ago'.

academy awards oscars GIF

I don't care what the market was like, or if they had a license. They got a license when they asked and paid for it. They thought about it for sure, planned it. Companies like that plan ahead a few years. Everyone knows what they did. And we all do, what we do - buy the next new shiny thing. Plus editions like those steelbook and hard boxset at $50 buy only collectors like us, and we existed '3-4 years ago'.
You clearly don't understand how licenced releases happen and costs involved

It's not the same costs involved for the likes of Warner/Sony/ Universal/Disney etc to do DVD/Blu-ray/UHD releases as those are films they own rights
This is why majority of UHD disc releases are from Warner/Disney/Sony/Paramount/Universal/StudioCanal themselves

Likes of Scream Factory/Arrow Video/Second Sight don't own the film releases rights
1) They have to get permission to do a release from rights holder and a release can be restricted to which home media format they can do a release
2) Has to pay a licence fee for each different home media format that been agreed
3) The film rights holder decides which home media format a film they giving a licence can be released on
4) UHD unit disc sales are tiny compared to DVD and Blu-ray that is why it was not until 2020/2021 labels like Scream Factory/Arrow Video/Second Sight/Kino Lorber started doing UHD releases
5) New restorations and new extras the independent labels pays for this to be done and that's extra to licence fees they pay the rights holder

Example Arrow Video was not given a licence from Universal to do UHD release of American Werewolf in London for the 2019 Blu-ray release
Universal only allowed Arrow do a Blu-ray release in 2019

It was not until late 2021 Arrow got the licence to do a UHD release for American Werewolf in London from Universal
Arrow then had to work on the release itself as do the encoding with HDR etc which takes a few months for a 2022 release

Reality check
A Blu-ray disc release will outsell a UHD disc release by a huge margin

Purpose of doing Limited Edition Box sets with booklets posters art cards and slipbox and SteelBooks Limited Editions is to get extra revenue to cover the overall costs of doing the main standard release and later re-releases
Most of the discs manufactured are for the standard release with a % of those discs used for the limited editions
Later steelbook re-releases is often done simply to help sell off unsold discs that was made originally for standard releases

Example
This Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom steelbook re-release with new artwork is using the existing UHD and Blu-ray discs made for the 2021 releases
Re-releases in different packaging or using new artwork happen often simply to help shift unsold leftover discs

2K/4K/6K/8K scan of a negative restoration does not mean UHD format and never has
4K scan of a negative restorations being happening for years before UHD format even existed

Rights holder decides which format will be licenced
Examples Universal
Waterworld
Arrow only got a licence to release on Blu-ray
Universal themselves released on UHD