Lightyear (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 29, 2022
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on July 26, at 9 AM for Red Carpet, at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £32.99

Lightyear front.jpg

Lightyear back.jpg Lightyear inside.jpg

Last edited:
How are we at £33? Can't help but think that greed will accelerate declining sales of physical media
With Disney+, I haven't bought a Disney, Pixar or Marvel steelbook in over a year

I would if they were £25 with free shipping. With the average price now £32 plus £2 postage, no chance.

I appreciate some of the price increase might be unavoidable, but much of it smacks of greed. It's not even like most Disney steelbooks are better than average because they're not.

Reactions: Stuc
With Disney+, I haven't bought a Disney, Pixar or Marvel steelbook in over a year

I would if they were £25 with free shipping. With the average price now £32 plus £2 postage, no chance.

I appreciate some of the price increase might be unavoidable, but much of it smacks of greed. It's not even like most Disney steelbooks are better than average because they're not.
Disney/Pixar/Marvel 4K UHD UK steelbooks have been £32.99 since Disney started doing 4K UHD steelbook for new films releases
That's new films not Back Catalogue

It's 4K UHD Amaray new film releases that has a price of £24.99 not steelbooks

Disney always have had higher dealer prices than other film studio's for new releases

Back Catalogue films getting a 4K UHD steelbook prices can vary £24.99 to £29.99 but they are not new films

Disney/Pixar/Marvel 4K UHD UK steelbooks have been £32.99 since Disney started doing 4K UHD steelbook for new films releases

Disney always have had higher dealer prices than other film studio's for new releases

Back Catalogue films getting a 4K UHD steelbook prices can vary £24.99 to £29.99 but they are not new films
That's great and all, but they're frankly too expensive for my tastes.

There was a time when Disney, Pixar and Marvel steelbooks would sell out before release date, never to be seen again (except for cancelled orders).

Now they take seemingly forever to sell out, assuming they do. Most recent Disney titles are still available months after release.

So either...

A) the market for Disney films has dropped
B) the market for steelbooks in general has dropped
C) they're too expensive
D) the first WWA is usually lacklustre
E) a combination of these

With the cost-of-living crisis, there's certainly now less incentive to pay £33 for a single below average steelbook I should think. And yes, Disney do charge more generally. I for one simply won't bite.

Reactions: crib79
.So either...

A) the market for Disney films has dropped
B) the market for steelbooks in general has dropped
C) they're too expensive
D) the first WWA is usually lacklustre
E) a combination of these
I honestly don’t think cost has anything to do with it, not when you're talking about 3quid. I think it's mostly A, mixed with D, depending on the film and design. Disney+ and the mixed bag of recent disney flicks certainly isn't helping. The steelbook market is probably stronger now than it ever has been imo.

The steelbook market is probably stronger now than it ever has been imo.
I also believe this to be true, and I thought I can't be the only one to see SO MANY new SteelBooks released in the past one and a half year, MUCH MORE than I could usually see (unless I am mistaken about this).

EDIT: Yet, I also agree that those prices that Disney asks are WAY to exaggerate, and I can't fathom WHY is Disney wants this (unless they plan to eradicate the physical media, so that they get ALL the money themselves, directly, eliminating also ALL the "middle-man" that are involved in the whole physical media chain; nothing new, just same GREEDY and BASTARDS JERKS Disney, right?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuc

Do these prices include VAT? If so, they’re about £1.5 more than the US disney releases, after taxes.

Back in the day a 4k steelbook would be priced at £25 and an amaray edition at £20...
Don't get why prices became so hiked...
Not with Disney 4K UHD steelbooks in regards to new Films they all been £32.99 or higher

It's Disney UK back catalogue films that got 4K UHD steelbooks that has prices of 24.99 to £29.99

New Films Disney 4K UHD Amaray are priced at £24.99

New Films have different pricing to Back catalogue
New films have higher dealer prices

4K Amaray Back Catalogue can be £14.99 to £19.99

It's was Disney 2D/3D Blu-ray SteelBook New Film releases that had prices 24.99 to £29.99
Those releases did not have 4K UHD included

Amaray 4K prices can vary a lot with retailers after release in regards to new releases and back catalogue re-releases

Steelbooks prices can also drop after release date due to a retailer having unsold stock

Wasn't referring to Disney specifically, just a general observation regarding 4k releases going back approx 4 years or so...
Certainly don't understand why a Disney release warrants a higher price tag...
The reason is dealer prices that's what decides the retail price
Disney have always had higher dealer prices with their new film releases compared to other films studios distributors with VHS/DVD/Blu-ray/UHD releases

It's Disney Back Catalogue re-releases that have lower dealer prices than new films

Reactions: leelee17
The reason is dealer prices that's what decides the retail price
Disney have always had higher dealer prices with their new film releases compared to other films studios distributors with VHS/DVD/Blu-ray/UHD releases

It's Disney Back Catalogue re-releases that have lower dealer prices than new films
We know that Paul, you've said it enough times.

The question is why are Disney steelbooks so expensive? The answer is because Disney want them to be those prices.

What we're saying is that they don't need to be. Prices of steelbooks in general have been creeping up any way. Sure, a 4K disc now comes as standard with most new releases, but it's just a way of adding even more to the price (one that doesn't really incur the costs added).

Essentially distributors are fleecing consumers because steelbook collectors are like fish in a barrel. Especially with certain franchises when they know collectors want a full set.

Want the latest Marvel movie? Need the latest Fast and Furious, Jurassic World, Halloween or Pixar film? That's £30+ please, take it or leave it.

Reactions: MrSquifler
How are we at £33? Can't help but think that greed will accelerate declining sales of physical media
I rarely buy steelbooks now, starting to feel what's the point in buying steel when I could get the same disc in a standard release £5-10 cheaper.

when you consider 90percent of blu-ray/4k will lose all their value, it makes it a very poor investment. I remember collecting dvd steelbooks, the 'grails' are literally worthless now. sentimental value only

just buy the cheapest, cheerfullest version.

• Haha
Reactions: RMA
All UK retailers prices include Vat
IN that case, these prices are pretty just a Bit more than I pay and probably the same, or less, than what I’d pay if I lived in NYC or New Orleans, it’d likely be over £32.00. Guess I don’t understand the complaints. Now a year from now, we can all complain, because these prices will likely go up courtesy of high worldwide inflation.

Reactions: RMA