Looking to upgrade - speakers or AV receiver?

nicblue

Premium Supporter
Jan 2, 2014
Maryland, US
Hey fellow ninjas, I made a post about this on another forum, one more dedicated to audio (I guess lol) but no one has responded to me. :( hopefully some of you guys can give your input and/or experience. I'll just copy and paste my post.

Hello guys, I am looking for some advice on what to do in regards to upgrading home theater equipment. I currently have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003IT...rb_top?ie=UTF8

I got this in 2011, it was my first step into the HT world so I really didn't know much
smile.gif
I have no issues with it I'm just wondering if upgrading would help me or not.

My question is: is getting a more recent receiver and using the same speakers I have would be better than getting three new front speakers and using my current receiver?

I mainly watch movies and play video games, my room is pretty small it's a bedroom 12x14 I believe. My budget is around $500. I have only looked at receivers and it seems I can get a decent one for that price. I'm not sure about speakers but I know they're expensive.

I appreciate any advice guys. Thanks a lot
smile.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
Just a question...Why do you feel you need to upgrade?

Got some graduation money recently so I started looking lol no real reason to upgrade. I guess just to have new stuff haha.

A few months ago I was looking to upgrade my center speaker, I feel like it's pretty small and sometimes it's hard to hear dialog. Then I started reading you want to have, at the very least, the front three be from the same brand. Which I didn't know had an impact. So buying a new center meant I should get the same brand for left and right.

Of course the dialog issue could be my room size and 7.1 not optimal for the size. It's just cool to have all this in my bedroom at my parents house lol.

Sorry went on a ramble..im just curious on the upgrade path for HT equipment.

If you start upgrading now, you'll get the upgrade bug and feel the need to keep upgrading. Believe me I know, I've become a victim :rofl:

To answer your question though, within your budget I don't think you could go wrong with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speaker system.

2 x SP-FS52-LR Floor standing Loudspeaker
1 x SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
2 x SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers

The floor standing speakers often go on sale on amazon for $90 each
The center often goes on sale on amazon for $70 each
The bookshelves often go on sale on amazon for $80 a pair

So you're looking at $330 for a 5 channel system. You'll need a receiver and you can often get a decent entry level Sony, Pioneer, or Yamaha receiver on Newegg for around $150 which puts under your budget of $500. The only thing you're missing is a subwoofer for that oh so sweet low end. If you're willing to up your budget a little the SW-8MK2 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer often goes on sale for around $100, or if you can try to find the original SW-8 Subwoofer for cheaper. For around $600 you can have yourself a very decent entry level 5.1 HT system.

Reactions: nicblue
@mkachanthong

Thanks for the opinions! I currently have this set http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IT49LG/?tag=hidefnin-20 for about 5 years. I've been looking up speakers today and came across these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013...p_1_2?colid=3RB6IOK9SQO7&coliid=I52JUMTLYF9HI

And the center to go with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._t=7101&pf_rd_p=2460506402&pf_rd_i=B013LIN5W2

That's $300 total for three speakers which seems okay. I think I'm set on upgrading the front 3 as opposed to buying a new receiver. Does anyone have experience with polk audio?

Also about wiring speakers, 16 gauge wire seems to the most common? My current speakers have the wire that came with them, I never used different wire before but it seems to be a good thing. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to audio stuff :(

Last edited:
That Onkyo set looks pretty decent, but I do agree that you could benefit from an upgrade to larger speakers.

I'm no expert either, but I'd say I'm seasoned in the audio department. Polk is a good consumer level brand. I've never owned a set of Polk speakers myself, but I've listened to some friends systems that have them and they sound great for the price you pay. In this review by hometheaterreview, the writer compares the Polk T50 to the speakers I suggested and you can't go wrong with either choice. Also I believe you can listen to both of these speakers in a Best Buy store. I'd say go in and give them a listen and decide for yourself which sound you like better. Keep in mind though they may sound different when you bring them home because Best Buy doesn't exactly provide the best listening environment.

As for speaker wire, 16 gauge is pretty common. From Crutchfield: "Thick wire (12 or 14 gauge) is recommended for long wire runs, high power applications, and low-impedance speakers (4 or 6 ohms). For relatively short runs (less than 50 feet) to 8 ohm speakers, 16 gauge wire will usually do just fine." Me personally, I use 12 gauge all the way around just to keep it consistent. Think of speaker wire as a tunnel for electrical current. The larger the tunnel the easier it is for the current to be pushed through it, which typically leads to cleaner sound.

@mkachanthong heading to best buy tomorrow to check out the ones you mentioned. SP-f52s. The three together are $60 more than the polk audio ones but have way better reviews and the reputation of the spf52 seems to be very good.

Thanks for the help man!

Reactions: mkachanthong
No problem @nicblue! Let me know how it went. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the matter.

I went ahead and bought the three pioneer speakers. They sound really awesome. I am glad I didn't go for a new receiver. I also moved my rear surrounds to be front highs because my listening position is right against the back wall, moved the side surrounds a little lower. Overall my experience is much better!

• Thanks
Reactions: mkachanthong
Late to the party, but happy to see you got some good advice as I would also have pushed for new speakers.
You got a nice entry level set up with some nice fresh speakers there!

• Thanks
I went ahead and bought the three pioneer speakers. They sound really awesome. I am glad I didn't go for a new receiver. I also moved my rear surrounds to be front highs because my listening position is right against the back wall, moved the side surrounds a little lower. Overall my experience is much better!

Awesome! Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup going on. Glad you liked the pioneer speakers. They really are a bang for your buck.

• Thanks
Hey @mkachanthong or @Hooch

I'm back asking for more speaker advice :) if you guys don't mind helping out!

My GF wants to know what I want for xmas, so I am considering adding two more speakers to my setup. Just to recap:

I have x2 SP-FS52, the center and bookshelf x2 as my side surround sounds.

I was considering adding another pair of BS22 bookshelves as front high speakers and to use them as back surrounds in the future. My bedroom currently does not allow me to have back surrounds, I'm forced to sit right against the back wall for my listening position.

However, i saw these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NPHO8/?tag=hidefnin-20

I was able to get a new receiver for my bday (black Friday basically lol) and it supports atmos

In your guys opinion (or anyone else's!) would you guys go for the atmos, and place them on top of the floor standing speakers or grab two bookshelves for front heights (rears in the future)? Thanks guys!

Hi!
I have had a set up before where I was sitting right against the back wall and I still had a pretty decent surround sound with two smaller bookshelf speakers facing eachother a bit over my head. You could try that and just see how that would work.

When it comes to Atmos I havent upgraded to that because I would have to pay mucho for a receiver that has Atmos and the quality of sound I have in my Arcam today. I have however read a bit about Atmos and I would go for a ceiling mount instead of "add on" speakers to the front. You have to check that the add on speakers really bounce the way they are designed to while the ceiling mounts will hit the mark with ease. I could however try the add on speakers if the store has "try at home" first.

Guess I would try surround even though sitting against the back and atmos speakers, ceiling or add on.

I hear good things about Atmos. With a properly setup system the level of immersion should be better. But like Hooch said, you'd have to make sure that they're properly placed and configured so that the reflected sound is optimal. I haven't upgraded to Atmos myself either, but it will definitely happen in the future. If you have anyway to try them at home I would go with the Atmos modules. If you don't notice an improvement in immersion then maybe just go for the front heights.