Manta Lab x Disney

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Posting here for visibility. Feel free to discuss.

Hi guys, this is John and I hope everyone is doing well. Today, I am very excited and happy to make an announcement that from July, we have become a Consumer Product Licensee for The Walt Disney Company Hong Kong.

More updates and news related to this news will be posted but the biggest reason why we obtained the license was to create Marvel Steelbooks.

More info and details will be shared soon.

Thank you very much.
John

88A9EAD5-A736-44D8-BE39-8CF486823152.jpeg

robert-downey-jr-dancing.gif

I don't get all the guesses and wishes. I surely agree with most of them, but the announcement clearly said - they want to do Marvel stuff. They're going to do Marvel stuff.
I don't know what kind of license they have, but it surely isn't for the whole catalog. It either lists specific titles, or groups of titles, from which they can either pick, or have to do particular ones, to be allowed to release some other ones. That's how it works.

You're not going to see any Fox titles, as that's probably a different agreement, a whole different lineup of films, even within one studio, plus Disney dissolved Fox's Home Media department, people left, were fired, or transferred to other departments. So they're not working on any new releases.
You're not going to see Star Wars stuff, as that's surely a whole other separate agreement.
You're not going to see Star Wars and Marvel TV series, as they don't exist on disc, and Disney isn't releasing them any time soon.
You're not going to see former Touchstone films, as that's likely another separate agreement.
You're not going to see Pixar steels, as that would also be a whole separate package and agreement.
You might see preexisting Disney animation movies, or something like Tomorrowland and Freaky Friday...

Ban this guy!
No Star Wars he says! Heretic!

I don't get all the guesses and wishes. I surely agree with most of them, but the announcement clearly said - they want to do Marvel stuff. They're going to do Marvel stuff.
I don't know what kind of license they have, but it surely isn't for the whole catalog. It either lists specific titles, or groups of titles, from which they can either pick, or have to do particular ones, to be allowed to release some other ones. That's how it works.

You're not going to see any Fox titles, as that's probably a different agreement, a whole different lineup of films, even within one studio, plus Disney dissolved Fox's Home Media department, people left, were fired, or transferred to other departments. So they're not working on any new releases.
You're not going to see Star Wars stuff, as that's surely a whole other separate agreement.
You're not going to see Star Wars and Marvel TV series, as they don't exist on disc, and Disney isn't releasing them any time soon.
You're not going to see former Touchstone films, as that's likely another separate agreement.
You're not going to see Pixar steels, as that would also be a whole separate package and agreement.
You might see preexisting Disney animation movies, or something like Tomorrowland and Freaky Friday...
14A18CB6-0B13-4CB6-A1C6-FBE8E5BEC0D9.jpeg

schitts creek party GIF by CBC

Ya'll need to simmer down. These are probably going to be discless releases. They don't give a sh!t about fox/old obscure disney titles. You'll get empty mcu steels, with a few animated and avatars for good measure. That's it. Stop dreaming. Geez.

Reactions: spider-bat
Ya'll need to simmer down. These are probably going to be discless releases. They don't give a sh!t about fox/old obscure disney titles. You'll get empty mcu steels, with a few animated and avatars for good measure. That's it. Stop dreaming. Geez.
I think we all know that most of our dreams/ wishes are not likely or at least not the priority (or like my wish 100% not going to happen lol). But at least for me talking about those unlikely possibilities, speculating and expressing wishes is pretty fun and a cool way to see how different movie priorities and tastes are among the hdn users :)

I think we all know that most of our dreams/ wishes are not likely or at least not the priority (or like my wish 100% not going to happen lol). But at least for me talking about those unlikely possibilities, speculating and expressing wishes is pretty fun and a cool way to see how different movie priorities and tastes are among the hdn users :)
Martin Luther King Jr Mlk GIF by Identity

I think even Evil Disney knows some of those we wish will make them a bunch of money, they're just not a priority.
Once they've fed enough souls to their streaming genie, they should eventually get around to it.

Reactions: spider-bat

Well put. No harm in people expressing their wishes.

@Lenny Nero @samdavies Let them dream a little.

tony peace.gif

Well, there's a very intereting phrashing in this statement:
we have become a Consumer Product Licensee for The Walt Disney Company Hong Kong.

not Home Video, but Consumer Product.

Why?

The answer is simple: Disney+ :hilarious:
They want to force people in Asia to use Disney+, to push their subscription numbers, so they stop licensing Home Video rights to the distributor in Asia.
(Japan excluded, their market is very different from other asia country.)

First, after Disney launches 4K UHD release, you can only find some titles release in 4K outside Asia (e.g. Star Wars EP VIII, IX, most Disney/Pixar/Fox title)

and then, they start to kill all physical media in later years...

China: Stop licensing before Ant-Man and the Wasp release.
(timing might be wrong, cause china's official distributor release is hard to figure out, too many bootlags shows up on taobao...)

Hong Kong/Taiwan: Stop licensing around the end of 2020 (last title released: Mulan)

Korea: Stop licensing around May 2022 (last title released: Encanto)

last thing, and it's the most important info:
accroding to HK forume discussion, Manta Lab's employee told a local store they don't have Home Video rights, only planning to make steelbook without discs.

What about WeET? Does that mean they are just doing older titles like Avengers? just wondering not sure how this licensing works.
not sure about that too, actually.

maybe it's a one time deal? (or the last deal they made with disney?)
all Avengers films has already released in 4K UHD before, so they already have the master to produce disc.
in this situation it should be easier for them to negotiate with disney (i guess?)

What about WeET? Does that mean they are just doing older titles like Avengers? just wondering not sure how this licensing works.

not sure about that too, actually.

maybe it's a one time deal? (or the last deal they made with disney?)
all Avengers films has already released in 4K UHD before, so they already have the master to produce disc.
in this situation it should be easier for them to negotiate with disney (i guess?)

Correct if the discs already exist in that market it's fair game. So in terms of 4K releases WeET are good to release everything up to Endgame. They should be at the very least also be able to do Blu-ray releases for Black Widow/Shang-Chi/Eternals as well (I don't believe Korea got 4K discs for those 3)

I expect Manta will focus on anything WeET can't/aren't doing so maybe everything Phase 4 (bar No Way Home because Sony) or maybe just everything from Doctor Strange MOM. I don't expect them to go back to Phases 1-3 unless there's a serious amount of demand for them to like they eluded to when they announced doing TDK trilogy

Correct if the discs already exist in that market it's fair game. So in terms of 4K releases WeET are good to release everything up to Endgame. They should be at the very least also be able to do Blu-ray releases for Black Widow/Shang-Chi/Eternals as well (I don't believe Korea got 4K discs for those 3)

I expect Manta will focus on anything WeET can't/aren't doing so maybe everything Phase 4 (bar No Way Home because Sony) or maybe just everything from Doctor Strange MOM. I don't expect them to go back to Phases 1-3 unless there's a serious amount of demand for them to like they eluded to when they announced doing TDK trilogy
Not actually correct I believe. Just because something is available for sale doesn't mean anyone that wants can sell it. You still need to have an agreement to sell a certain companies product, especially if it isnt the bog standrad off the shelf release. So if they aren't doing a dodgy release they would still need some kind of approval to sell versions of old MCU movies.

Reactions: Lenny Nero

phase 1-3 will sell out in seconds... easy money for manta lab!!!

Not actually correct I believe. Just because something is available for sale doesn't mean anyone that wants can sell it. You still need to have an agreement to sell a certain companies product, especially if it isnt the bog standrad off the shelf release. So if they aren't doing a dodgy release they would still need some kind of approval to sell versions of old MCU movies.

Well yes obviously but we know WeET/SMLife do have the agreement so that didn't need spelling out :rolleyes:

phase 1-3 will sell out in seconds... easy money for manta lab!!!

Wheel Of Time Reaction GIF by Dragonmount GIFS

• Haha
Reactions: tha_lunatic
I have mixed feelings. Could be cool if the Marvel releases look nice, but there are way too many Marvel premiums already. How many do we actually need, especially disc-less ones?

correct, i think they will need to ask disney to sell them new disc for new release.

all i'm saying is: there's already a master for korea exist, so it's easier for them to arrange it.