Premium Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Guildford, England
Release date: October 25, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK
Price: £200.00

81hbN5pJ4HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the ring and chain included with the US edition?

I'm undecided on this right now. Not a fan of the box it comes in but the rest is good

Expected 51 or something discs as it was mentioned somewhere.

I too remember reading about it somewhere, but seriously, that would be approx. 9 discs per film. Splitting one film on two discs, that would still be approx. seven extra discs for each title. Simpy impossible.

Brexit has put a dampener on ordering from the UK, getting hit for taxes / vat etc. £200 is a lot to get caught with extra tax too. :(
@kierano
Amazon remove UK vat from price at checkout before they apply EU Vat
No extra Tax involved as EU vat is included in your order
It's a item sold by amazon themselves not a third party seller

Price excluding UK vat is £166.67 (Price including UK 20% vat is £200.00)
Ireland 23% Vat = £38.33
£166.67+ £38.33
Total £205.00

£205.00 (23% Ireland Vat Included) would have been the price even before brexit so no difference
Before Brexit Amazon applied EU Vat rate at checkout it varied depending on the Eu country item been shipped to as vat rates differ in some EU countries
Amazon still do this after UK left EU on items amazon is the seller or a item fulfilled by amazon

You would not have Customs Import Duty as it's a item that is country of origin is UK and it's a UK/Ireland release this why you have BBFC/IFCO (UK/Ireland) age rating logos on the packaging and discs
Even though this includes a Jewellery item it's country of origin is UK
Only EU Vat needs to be paid and it's included in your purchase with Amazon so you won't have any extra tax to pay

There is no customs import duty on goods with a value over €150 in regards UK and EU if it's a item with country of origin UK
Also CD's - DVD/Blu-ray/UHD discs only vat applies , customs import duty don't apply as they are exempt items even if from outside EU/UK

If you was to order this box set from a country outside UK (USA/Korea/China for example and their release also included Jewellery item that might attract customs import duty if that Jewellery item the country of origin was from outside UK

This is likely why USA release does not include the One Ring Noble Ring and Chain

A TV been sold on amazon UK that cost over €150 would attract customs import duty as it's not manufactured in UK most are these type items are made in China etc

Last edited:
In my country everything that is not from EU goes through customs office.
Good thing is if you pay VAT with order you don't do that again, you still can pay import fees - depending on item.
But worse thing is - there is small fee which you have to pay for even smallest sh*t even though u paid VAT, but wait times.
Before that 1 day or 2 at most and item left customs, now it's 1 fuc*ing week and more cause every little piece of sh*t goes through there.

The cover box is so...um....white...haha! Where's the racial diversity huh? No Orcs or Brown men from the East (me included). Hell...even Treebeard doesn't make it on. Well...I'll definitley be bending the knee before I watch this one.

Considering this is meant to be the "ultimate" collection, it's pretty underwhelming IMO, both in terms of content and design.
IMO this new box set should have included the same disc extras content as previous ultimate edition from 2016 and lot more new extras
Yes it includes the 4K remastered transfers of lord of the rings trilogy on Blu-ray discs but that was always going happen anyway

Warner could easily have provided the previous extensive extras from lord of the rings extended and theatrical that was on dvds in previous releases and the blu-ray disc extras content from the hobbit trilogy
There would a lot of people who was not born when previous editions was released or now be at an age working to afford releases like this
The reason why some back catalouge films still sell well and get re-issues if you will aways have new customers to purchase that did not purchase previous releases.

To reduce number of discs required compared to previous releases they could have put all the previous lord of the rings extras that was on DVD discs on Blu-ray discs or UHD disc instead
The also could done the same for the previous hobbit trilogy blu-ray extras

At the very least Warner UK should have included iTunes digital copy that provided access to previous extras for both extended and theatrical releases
USA get digital copy and includes the appendices content from extended editions on iTunes extras for streaming

A blu-ray disc with 1 extra content is poor even if it's a new extra

It's not very ultimate collection when the previous 2016 Blu-ray ultimate release had more content in regards to extras

I suspect warner did not want to spend the money involved in providing the previous discs extras due to loss of revenue they had in past year due to covid-19 affecting cinema releases

IMO this new box set should have included the same disc extras content as previous ultimate edition from 2016 and lot more new extras
Yes it includes the 4K remastered transfers of lord of the rings trilogy on Blu-ray discs but that was always going happen anyway

Warner could easily have provided the previous extensive extras from lord of the rings extended and theatrical that was on dvds in previous releases and the blu-ray disc extras content from the hobbit trilogy
There would a lot of people who was not born when previous editions was released or now be at an age working to afford releases like this
The reason why some back catalouge films still sell well and get re-issues if you will aways have new customers to purchase that did not purchase previous releases.

To reduce number of discs required compared to previous releases they could have put all the previous lord of the rings extras that was on DVD discs on Blu-ray discs or UHD disc instead
The also could done the same for the previous hobbit trilogy blu-ray extras

At the very least Warner UK should have included iTunes digital copy that provided access to previous extras for both extended and theatrical releases
USA get digital copy and includes the appendices content from extended editions on iTunes extras for streaming

A blu-ray disc with 1 extra content is poor even if it's a new extra

It's not very ultimate collection when the previous 2016 Blu-ray ultimate release had more content in regards to extras

I suspect warner did not want to spend the money involved in providing the previous discs extras due to loss of revenue they had in past year due to covid-19 affecting cinema releases
I completely agree, and I can't see anyone disagreeing tbh. An "ultimate collection" implies that every bit of content available will be included, and that's obviously not the case here. Whatever their excuse for omitting certain extras, they'll lose out either way, because I honestly can't see many people picking this up, purely due to the fact that most LOTR fans already have everything that's included with this set and then some! I'm not particularly interested in owning 4K anyway, so I'll be sticking with the wooden limited collector's set from a few years ago, which is frankly far better looking than this POS.

I was worried when I bought the recent 4K Steelbook releases that this collection was going to make me regret that decision not to wait.

It's fine and all but I feel the Steelbook sets and retaining the two blu-ray collections (the ones with the maps on the inside of the magnetic cover) for the extras has covered me just fine. I suppose anything more extravagant than this set would have been about double the price.

Does any one actually watch any extras or listen to commentary tracks i have a small collection of discs compared to some but have never watched any extra

Does any one actually watch any extras or listen to commentary tracks i have a small collection of discs compared to some but have never watched any extra

I have watched all the LoTR and Bond ones. A few others were good back in the DVD days - Superman Boxset, T2, Harry Potter and Pixar with interactive games. Also, the Shrek extra where you could record the dialogue for a few scenes and it would sync to the footage was quite entertaining for me and my son (was at the right age back then).

Now, not so much tbh - feels like I don't have the time/motivation.

Reactions: karl01