Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 26, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon
Price: $249.99
Notes: 31-Discs

Middle Earth Contents.jpg

Last edited:
EZ Pass. Don't like Hobbit as much to have it in my collection for special edition like this, LOTR on the other hand :D.
Going for HDZeta edition of Lord of the Rings. :woot::drool::headphone:

They are not seriously to include the DVD versions, are they?!

But anyway: 51 discs... most people probably don't own that many different movies on physical media these days...
A lot of public have more than 51 movies on physical media in their homes :rofl:

There would still be a lot people around the world that have hundreds and thousands of movies in their collection on physical media a lot of this would be Dvd's/Blu-ray's

Most public now yes do digital purchases or streaming instead of physical media but there is still a lot who purchase physical media and a lot who still have an existing collection on Dvd or Blu-ray even if they do more streaming now instead
You do know don't you DVD discs still outsells Blu-ray discs and always has

How many movies on physical discs do you have in your collection surely you have more than 51 :LOL:

I have over 5,000 discs in my home most are Blu-ray but a lot is DVD and smaller amount on UHD
I don't sell anything I purchase I keep most stuff a few Items I given away to friends as in when I purchased a release that came with better disc extras but still had previous extras included
If previous extras not included in a new release I don't give previous release away

The only physical media I got rid off in terms of large quantity was a lot of VHS but I still kept around 200 of them

The discs would be the extras discs from previous releases if included in UK/Europe release would be DVD and Blu-ray extras discs (It's still TBC if they will be included)
As in the extras content from previous releases these discs are not the films on DVD

Lord of the rings the previous Dvd extras discs content that was in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Extended Blu-ray Box Set and Theatrical Trilogy extras discs that included in DVD release
Like what was included in the previous Blu-ray Middle Earth Ultimate Edition Box Set

Hobbit the previous Blu-rays extras discs

Last edited:
Reactions: 5t33lb0y
A lot of public have more than 51 movies on physical media in their homes :rofl:

There would still be a lot people around the world that have hundreds and thousands of movies in their collection on physical media a lot of this would be Dvd's/Blu-ray's

Most public now yes do digital purchases or streaming instead of physical media but there is still a lot who purchase physical media and a lot who still have an existing collection on Dvd or Blu-ray even if they do more streaming now instead
You do know don't you DVD discs still outsells Blu-ray discs and always has

How many movies on physical discs do you have in your collection surely you have more than 51 :LOL:

I have over 5,000 discs in my home most are Blu-ray but a lot is DVD and smaller amount on UHD
I don't sell anything I purchase I keep most stuff a few Items I given away to friends as in when I purchased a release that came with better disc extras but still had previous extras included
If previous extras not inclued in a new release I don't give away

The only physical media I got rid off in terms of large quantity was a lot of VHS but I still kept around 200 of them

The discs would be the extras discs from previous releases if included in UK/Europe release would be DVD and Blu-ray extras discs (It's still TBC if they will be included)
As in the extras content from previous releases these discs are not the films on DVD

Lord of the rings the previous Dvd extras discs content that was in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Extended Blu-ray Box Set and Theatrical Trilogy extras discs that on DVD release
Like what was included in the previous Blu-ray Middle Earth Ultimate Edition Box Set

Hobbit the previous Blu-rays extras discs

Sure, I have a few... I guess around 700 plus maybe 300-500 DVDs still. But I'm kind of a collector and so are you and most people in this forum or other similar ones. But I know people who literally throw their 300+ DVDs in the garbage because they now have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I don't agree with them, but it's still the direction this is moving towards for non-collectors, I believe.

My point was simply: that's a crazy amount of discs for one set. And as most people are not collectors of physical media and will probably not own 51+ discs these days. I just though it's funny to sell a set with 51 discs - most of my non-collector friends would probably ask me: "Are you serious? 51 discs for 6 movies? Why? Just why?"

Reactions: MrSquifler
Sure, I have a few... I guess around 700 plus maybe 300-500 DVDs still. But I'm kind of a collector and so are you and most people in this forum or other similar ones. But I know people who literally throw their 300+ DVDs in the garbage because they now have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I don't agree with them, but it's still the direction this is moving towards for non-collectors, I believe.

My point was simply: that's a crazy amount of discs for one set. And as most people are not collectors of physical media and will probably not own 51+ discs these days. I just though it's funny to sell a set with 51 discs - most of my non-collector friends would probably ask me: "Are you serious? 51 discs for 6 movies? Why? Just why?"
The extra discs if included would be the extras discs content not the films

I seen it mentioned but it has not been confirmed yet if the UK/Europe 4K Midele Earth Ultimate Collection release will include those extas discs that was in the previous Middle Earth Ultimate Collection

UK/Europe release may end up the same as USA release but likely to cost more anyway even if those extras discs are not included

This looks very sad and cheap.
Only 1 Bluray with extras, means we ain’t getting any old extras. Doesn’t look like a Definitive Ultimate Edition.

Are we sure this is the official artwork? It looks very similar to those fan mock-ups that were made last year. The individual cases look nice, but the overall artwork on the box is embarassingly bad for an official collector's edition release. Especially considering how special the blu ray collector's edition was.

What an underwhelming edition.

First, 4K transfers were awful in general, it doesn't look like LOTR was originally shot on 35mm.

Then, no Appendices.

Then, it includes The Hobbit trilogy. (:rofl:)

The only positive: not spending any money on it.

Just remember those ancient LOTR EE DVDs, that collection was golden standard for physical media.

Shame that the first film was green tinted on blu, otherwise that would remain the ultimate set, and I'd be at peace with it forever.

Man I am so glad I bought the book case edition back when it came out, they will likely never top that one aesthetic-wise, was looking forward to the design of this new one but this is a hard and glad pass for me

Reactions: Noodles
Man I am so glad I bought the book case edition back when it came out, they will likely never top that one aesthetic-wise, was looking forward to the design of this new one but this is a hard and glad pass for me

Indeed. It seems nowadays, every release is a fancy box and printed pieces. The death knell of the old collectors editions is well and truly upon us. I find myself hunting a few old collectible releases nowadays, and that is about it :)

Reactions: PracticingPat