Horror-TV Midnight Mass (Limited Series) [Netflix]

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
This little island, so sleepy it might be dead. The isolated community on Crockett Island experiences miraculous events - and frightening omens – following the arrival of a charismatic, mysterious young priest. An original series from Mike Flanagan come to Netflix on September, 24th.

midnight-mass-full-size-poster.png

Binged it this weekend. and WOW. what a series!!!

Its a heavy watch, but I couldn't stop. Has some insanely great acting and characters. I don't want to spoil anything and I would recommend watching asap so it doesn't get ruined for you.
I went into this show almost blind. I saw the trailer once and had no clue what it was about or where it was going, and I hope most people watch it that way.

I do have a couple thoughts (don't look below until you've watched):
Very interesting to make the twist of this show Vampires. When everything finally gets revealed I was blown away. I love it that they didn't spoon feed it to us, you get the reveal and then you get to figure out for your self all the ramifications of what that means. And the ramifications were huge.

And that ending. Wow.

I get that in the show they didn't want to say the word Vampire. BUT you would think they live in a world that knows about vampires or Dracula or whatever.... Riley even has posters on his wall of Scream, Se7en, and X-Files and I'm almost certain that X-Files had an episode on Vampires.

So you'd THINK someone would know what was going on. haha oh well. I guess we just have to pretend that in this reality they didn't exist in any fiction.

Also that boat scene. MAN. Brilliant. Moving. So well done. Had me tears.
Flanagan is a genius.

Any one else watch this yet???

Reactions: Strangerbyday
I didn't watch it yet but it's on my watch list. I do hope i'll watch it in near future... Have to much stuff to watch. Like just today i finished His Dark Materials and i wanted to watch it like i don't know how far back :D.
I think i won't be dissapointed. Is series just limited - or is there possibility when they filmed it for more seasons?

Binged it over the weekend, probably the fastest I've watched a Netflix show since the first season of Stranger Things.
For me, its the best thing they've ever produced. Its a work of art, a beautiful, devastating journey through faith, grief & guilt.
The cast are fantastic, there's an amazing level of world building. The score. The direction. The cinematography. Everything is perfect.
I wept like a small child from Erin's monologue onwards in the final episode. In a series littered with devastating moments (looking at you end of Episode 5), this was heartwrenching & life affirming all at the same time.
I'm already planning a rewatch tonight.

I didn't watch it yet but it's on my watch list. I do hope i'll watch it in near future... Have to much stuff to watch. Like just today i finished His Dark Materials and i wanted to watch it like i don't know how far back :D.
I think i won't be dissapointed. Is series just limited - or is there possibility when they filmed it for more seasons?
Its definitely a limited series, Flanagan only does these sort of one & done shows, like Hill House or Bly Manor.

Reactions: kaw and 5t33lb0y
Just finished ep 3 and I'm loving it so far! Got a ridiculously busy work schedule this week otherwise I'd have happily binged this already

Reactions: kaw
This and squid game are the greatest series I’ve seen this year. Flanagan again just proving he’s one of the greatest horror directors of his time for story, mood, setting, drama, character development and eerie-ness. This, hill house and oculus are his masterpieces

Reactions: kaw
I thought most episodes were boring and drawn out way too long, there's so much dialogue that goes absolutely nowhere. At least 10mins could have been cut from each episode. It's not a slow-burn, it's a slow bore you to death. I get it, there's boring characters, living on a boring, sleepy island, but still... almost all momentum built up throughout an episode just gets cut once someone starts blabbering on. We don't need to know like 50 times how much of an alcoholic the teacher's mum was, for example. Most episodes I was waiting for the last 15-20mins to kick off just to get a bit more interesting and progress the story.

I did however think that the actors who played Father Paul and Bev were both excellent.