Mondo Mothra: Tokyo SOS Premium Scale Statue

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
Throughout the years, Godzilla has stolen all the headlines to be known as the King of Monsters. But the Queen of the Monsters is undoubtably one of the worlds most iconic kaiju of all-time: Mothra. So tomorrow, we want to celebrate her in all of her glory, with a brand new statue and posters

One of Mothra's most impressive appearances taking place in the intense sequel to GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA, GODZILLA: TOKYO SOS. Mothra goes into an all-out battle with Godzilla to try and stop him from destroying Tokyo (again!). Her look and design in this film feels like her most realized appearance, which is why we're releasing it as a Premium Scale Statue.

In addition to the statue, we have new posters from Tom Whalen for MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA. Both of the posters below will be going on sale tomorrow at 12PM CT on The Drop.

And now, more on that MOTHRA: TOKYO SOS statue...

Mothra's one of the few kaiju who has taken Godzilla head on, and actually stood toe-to-toe to either match his strength or subdue him -- no easy feat, considering Godzilla just about defeats anything in its path.

Godzilla and Mothra are pretty much two sides of the same coin, both having enormous impact in kaiji mythos and both being insanely popular around the world. If Godzilla represents sheer power and destruction, Mothra represents heart, forgiveness, and hope for mankind.

Mothra has been in many movies throughout the years, with one of her most impressive appearances taking place in the intense sequel to GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA, GODZILLA: TOKYO SOS. Mothra goes into an all-out battle with Godzilla to try and stop him from destroying Tokyo (again!). Her look and design in this film feels like her most realized appearance making it the perfect choice for us when it came to designing the statue. Below you can see Ian McDonald's beautiful concept art which kicked things off:

1_32a7dc87-857e-443a-8f99-87747e7188ea_1024x1024.jpg

Once the sculpt is finished, it was then 3D printed and handed off to a painter. In this case, Hector Arce, Creative Director for Mondo Toys and Collectibles handled the paint application and design.

“There was an intense pressure I felt when I decided to take this project on myself. I knew how much history and love there is for the character, I just wanted to do it justice. I was my own harshest critic, redoing large sections until I felt I got the colors just right. It was one of the most challenging and awesome experiences in my career.” - Hector Arce

With an awesome statue, comes the need for some killer packaging art, and we knew that asking long-time Godzilla fan Tom Whalen to illustrate the box art was the best way to go. Below you can see his incredible illustrations featured on the packaging, as well as Mike Bonanno’s packaging layout.

1.png1.1.png
Mothra: Tokyo SOS Premium Scale Statue Designed by Hector Arce, Ian MacDonald, Matt Black, Mike Bonanno, Tom Whalen $375

2.png2.1.png
Mothra: Tokyo SOS Premium Scale Statue - Limited Edition Designed by Hector Arce, Ian MacDonald, Matt Black, Mike Bonanno, Tom Whalen $395