Slipcover Murder By Decree (Blu-ray Slipcover) (StudioCanal Vintage Classics) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: June 28, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £15.00 (Amazon) - £17.99 (Zavvi)

81-Kb4jwNNS._AC_SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendel and C.C. 95
I wonder if this will be the same transfer as the U.S. 2020 Blu-ray.
the 2020 Kino Lorber edition was apparently from a transfer Studio Canal did - but that release was criticized for the transfer. So I wonder if this Studio Canal version has addressed those issues with a new transfer, or any other tinkering.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendel
Extras:
Audio commentary with Film Journalist Kim Newman and Crime Fiction Historian Barry Forshaw
Interview with Film Journalist Kim Newman

Wasn't sure which version I had of this film and checking my db, I see it's the dvd!
Time to upgrade and I like that slip.
I doubt very much SC has taken any pains to provide an upgrade over the KL release but I'm in regardless.
Love ALL the Holmes fliks and the cast in this one is perfection! :happy:

Wasn't sure which version I had of this film and checking my db, I see it's the dvd!
I doubt very much SC has taken any pains to provide an upgrade over the KL release but I'm in regardless.
Kino release is using the StudioCanal restoration
Kino licenced that restoration from StudioCanal

UK release will have different encoding and might be better or worse
When released we will find out

Encoding of a restoration digital file onto a physical disc is what makes the difference between good and bad release

Yah, they probably didn't.
i can't tell if the U.S. one has a slipcover or not. I like that one because it has the original one sheet.
2F4ACF62-BF2E-43B0-8991-50C3E765B66C.jpeg

Kino Lorber USA release did not have a slipcover
It was just their standard slim amaray case
That stinks. :meh:
BTW - for another great movie that has Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper - check out A STUDY IN TERROR.
(starring future Baron Munchausen, John Neville, as Sherlock Holmes!)
494A1445-F2F7-402E-A7F8-4CF887EC2B79.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Friendly
That stinks. :meh:
BTW - for another great movie that has Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper - check out A STUDY IN TERROR.
(starring future Baron Munchausen, John Neville, as Sherlock Holmes!)
View attachment 506694
I already have A Study in Terror
I have the VHS and DVD and Blu-ray releases

Time After Time (1979) (Malcolm McDowell, David Warner) is another good film with Jack the Ripper
HG Wells pretends to be Sherlock Holmes when first interviewed by the police
I also have on DVD and Blu-ray

There is also Time After Time TV series (2017) which is good I like to see that get a home media release on Blu-ray

I have majority of Sherlock Holmes Flms and TV productions and films on either DVD or Blu-ray
I even have the sherlock holmes 56 short stories and novels in paperback and some hardcover

I also have most TV and Film productions releated to Jack the Ripper on DVD or Blu-ray or as a digital file

• Friendly
The picture sure makes it look like slipcover.
I will gather you not purchased a lot of Kino Lorber Blu-ray amaray releases majority dont come with a slip
It's only recently in 2021 that some Blu-ray and 4K UHD that came with a slipcover and it's a tiny anount of releases that did

The Kino Lorber image of Murder of Decree does not look like a slip
They post these type images for most of their amaray releases

When a kino lorber release has a slip you will see something like this and it will also mention in description if a slip is included

738329252960.jpg 738329253905.jpg

When creating threads if a release has a slipcover and slip image is available I will always show it over a flat image

There is a difference in the 2 images below

91Xa5AER+JS._AC_SX342_.jpg 81-Kb4jwNNS._AC_SY445_.jpg

Reactions: C.C. 95
I will gather you not purchased a lot of Kino Lorber Blu-ray amaray releases majority dont come with a slip
It's only recently in 2021 that some Blu-ray and 4K UHD that came with a slipcover and it's a tiny anount of releases that did

The Kino Lorber image of Murder of Decree does not look like a slip
They post these type images for most of their amaray releases

When a kino lorber release has a slip you will see something like this and it will also mention in description if a slip is included

View attachment 506719 View attachment 506720

When creating threads if a release has a slipcover and slip image is available I will always show it over a flat image

There is a difference in the 2 images below

View attachment 506722 View attachment 506721
Yeah, I have a few - but I get faked out everytime by their images that look like slips.
btw- "TRACKDOWN" is worthy of a slip but not MURDER BY DECREE?!! (n) :oops::squint:

Yeah, I have a few - but I get faked out everytime by their images that look like slips.
btw- "TRACKDOWN" is worthy of a slip but not MURDER BY DECREE?!! (n) :oops::squint:
Kino Lorber Murder By Decree was released in June 2020

Kino Lorber only started very recently in 2021 as in past 2 months to include slips and its a tiny amount of releases that include one

In regards to slipcovers
CC.95 and myself was discussing Kino Lorber releases not StudioCanal
My kino ones are a mixed batch. Some have slip covers. Some don't. All my Clint Eastwood ones do but very often none. My last 6 purchases had none and they were Day 1 release. The only one had a slipcover was the 4k the Good the Bad and the Ugly

Lots of great posts here, thanks my friends. :)

I do have "A Study In Terror" and as it came out in back in 1965, I think it was the first kick at having Holmes and Nasty Jack face off with each other.
Excellent flik!
I of course, also have "Time After Time" which also sports an absolutley stellar cast and it released in 1979, just a year after "Murder By Decree" ('78).
I'm a huge fan of Nasty Jack fliks, including "From Hell" and I'm sure there's a few more in my library the titles of which escape me at the moment.
Oh, the animated Bats vehicle "Murder By Gaslight" pits the great Caped Crusader against Jack as well and is excellently done. Highly recommended! (I picked up the Steel).
I'd be hard pressed to say which film of the lot is my "fave", as they are all great in their own particular way.
So, just well, get them all! You can do FAR worse for entertainment!
Cheers folks. :happy:

Lots of great posts here, thanks my friends. :)

I do have "A Study In Terror" and as it came out in back in 1965, I think it was the first kick at having Holmes and Nasty Jack face off with each other.
Excellent flik!
I of course, also have "Time After Time" which also sports an absolutley stellar cast and it released in 1979, just a year after "Murder By Decree" ('78).
I'm a huge fan of Nasty Jack fliks, including "From Hell" and I'm sure there's a few more in my library the titles of which escape me at the moment.
Oh, the animated Bats vehicle "Murder By Gaslight" pits the great Caped Crusader against Jack as well and is excellently done. Highly recommended! (I picked up the Steel).
I'd be hard pressed to say which film of the lot is my "fave", as they are all great in their own particular way.
So, just well, get them all! You can do FAR worse for entertainment!
Cheers folks. :happy:
I Hate to do the correction thing to you @Grendel :rofl: ;) ......
The Batman book was Gotham By Gaslight.:):thumbs:
(an excellent book)

Are you familiar with the Jack the Ripper-esque Hitchcock film FRENZY?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Heh, yeah, I had "murder" on the brain my buddy. You are right. of course.
i don't have the book but quite enjoyed the animated feature.
Of course I have "Frenzy" as part of my Hitch collection.
Been a while since I watched that in fact.
Time for another spin. :)

You just keep on with the corrections my friend, I'm old and senile and require constant upkeep... ;)

Reactions: C.C. 95