Netflix considered primarily a "streaming" company: CEO Reed Hastings

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Engadget HD:

It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating Netflix's 2 billionth disc sent, but in announcing the company's Q4 financial results, CEO Reed Hastings called his baby "primarily a streaming company that also offers DVD-by-mail." Other notes include an indication that a streaming only plan for US customers, mirroring its offering in Canada, currently in limited testing could become widely available later in the fourth quarter of this year, with a potential that "pure streaming" could become the core package for Netflix going forward while DVDs might require a premium service charge like Blu-ray does now. So what comes next? If all goes according to plan, expansion beyond North America in late 2011, continuing to add more streaming content and improving the UI on other devices.
Netflix, Management Commentary
143Leave A Comment

As I hinted at in the other thread, I just hope Netflix - with this knowledge of their success - doesn't start taking advantage of the customers and do things like restricting their streaming services similar to PSN or XBL Marketplace with time limits or viewing-count limits on streaming rentals; or discontinuing their disc-by-mail service; or charging disc by disc.
I love how their service is now and hope it continues just like this.