Netflix to stream 4K next year

ash333

s'Mod
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Mar 3, 2011
Seattle, WA, USA
From The Verge:

Ask anyone what the largest issue facing 4K video is, and you'll likely be told that it's distribution; bringing the massive files — with four times the resolution of a 1080p video — to viewers' homes is an incredible challenge. Nevertheless, Netflix believes it will be able stream Ultra HD 4K videos to customers by next year, and it's already testing the feature, according to Gigaom. In fact, you can watch Netflix's test footage now, as a number of 4K "movies" have hit the service for internal checks on 4K performance. It's worth noting that the movies are all made up of test footage, and 4K quality isn't an option yet for subscribers.

Netflix hasn't kept its interest in streaming 4K video directly to subscribers' homes a secret. CPO Neil Hunt told The Verge this spring that "we expect to be delivering 4K within a year or two with at least some movies and then over time become an important source of 4K," and CEO Reed Hastings said on a recent earnings call that "we want to be one of the big suppliers of 4K next year." The company also teamed up with Samsung to demonstrate live 4K streaming at CES this past January. While it's unclear if Netflix will be able to meet its goal of a 2014 launch, it looks like there will be some good content once it does arrive: the company's very own House of Cards will be among some of the first video on the site offered in 4K.

And watch the connections crash like ninepins when too many people try to access it at the same time.

There isn't the capacity to stream 4k en masse, and there will not be for many years to come, if ever.

The only way they could do it successfully it to imitate the current broadcasters, and compress - i.e. 1080p becomes 720p - 4k cannot be broadcast at all at the moment, nor will it be a reality for many years, if ever.

Streaming follows a similar path, and the 4k is likely to end up at 1080p with current capacity - and it 'ain't going to change next year!

Quite apart from the sheer lack of capacity to broadcast and stream, there is the cast iron fact that, despite rumours to the contrary, a dearth of available content.

Studios aren't interested as to give you unfettered access to 4k content is akin to giving you the studio master - and that isn't going to happen!
Broadcasters equally, and for the same reasons aren't interested beyond the odd experimental piece.

Both are reluctant to do anything as they need to sell you content in hard copy (DVD, Blu Ray) because that's where the majority of the money is made.

Last edited:
Based upon date of this post, you can now start streaming 4K from Netflix now. However, you have to change your account settings and select UHD streaming which will bring the cost from current price of $7.99 to $11.99

• Informative
Reactions: ocielz
And considering that most broadband in the UK can just about do SD streaming, I think 4k is fantasy land. I don't know too many people that have 200 mg broadband or above.

Reactions: JackRegan
And considering that most broadband in the UK can just about do SD streaming, I think 4k is fantasy land. I don't know too many people that have 200 mg broadband or above.

I can get 6mb down 0.850kb up lol looks like ill be getting fibre activated on my cabinet next year but even then i will only get around 20mb down.

I can get 6mb down 0.850kb up lol looks like ill be getting fibre activated on my cabinet next year but even then i will only get around 20mb down.

Exactly, it won't be 4k.. It won't be 4k for maybe 20 years or more the way things are shaping up - by which time technology will have moved on by several generations, 4k tv will likely be history well before it could be made available to be seen en-masse on Tv

Exactly, it won't be 4k.. It won't be 4k for maybe 20 years or more the way things are shaping up - by which time technology will have moved on by several generations, 4k tv will likely be history well before it could be made available to be seen en-masse on Tv

Thats were 4K bluray comes in, there will be plenty of 4K content come end of 2016. Just for people like me with slower internet speeds 4K will not be streamable.

4K Sky tv is launching next year and 4K bluray, i will be set.

Thats were 4K bluray comes in, there will be plenty of 4K content come end of 2016. Just for people like me with slower internet speeds 4K will not be streamable.

4K Sky tv is launching next year and 4K bluray, i will be set.

Yes, but like any new format, without broadcast quality 4k it is dead format -(regular Broadcast 4k is 20 plus years away, if ever) and thus 4k is the perfect example of a living dead format.

4k sky (if it happens) will be compressed out of all recognition - it HAS to be, there simply isn't the bandwidth to even handle 1080p broadcasts on a regular basis!

Nobody has broadband capable of handling full on uncompressed 4k, so that is out as well.

Finally, as I have said ad infinitum, and it is an absolute given: If you watch TV on a screen of less than 65 inches, and 90% of ALL sets sold are sub 65 inch, then you cannot see ANY discernible difference between 1080p and 4k, if anyone thinks they can it is nothing more than placebo effect - or plain and simple wishful thinking! Even at 65 inches the difference is very marginal to say the least.

Yes, but like any new format, without broadcast quality 4k it is dead format -(regular Broadcast 4k is 20 plus years away, if ever) and thus 4k is the perfect example of a living dead format.

4k sky (if it happens) will be compressed out of all recognition - it HAS to be, there simply isn't the bandwidth to even handle 1080p broadcasts on a regular basis!

Nobody has broadband capable of handling full on uncompressed 4k, so that is out as well.

Finally, as I have said ad infinitum, and it is an absolute given: If you watch TV on a screen of less than 65 inches, and 90% of ALL sets sold are sub 65 inch, then you cannot see ANY discernible difference between 1080p and 4k, if anyone thinks they can it is nothing more than placebo effect - or plain and simple wishful thinking! Even at 65 inches the difference is very marginal to say the least.

That 65 inch thing is pure internet garbage, the same thing was said for 1080p, if you didnt have 47 or above you couldnt see 1080p apprently, it was proven to be pure rubbish.

I have a 55inch 4K tv and have watched uncompressed 4K media from a memory stick and believe me you can see the difference between 1080p and 4K.

Also if You watch 4K gameplay from a high end pc on a 22inch 4K monitor you can see a big difference in detail between 4K and 1080p still.

Last edited:
25mb/sec is reccomended so standard broadband won't do it. It's Only people on super fast broadband will be able to get it, I imagine there's quite a few people who will get that in the future but whether they care enough about 4k enough is another story.

That 65 inch thing is pure internet garbage, the same thing was said for 1080p, if you didnt have 47 or above you couldnt see 1080p apprently, it was proven to be pure rubbish.

I have a 55inch 4K tv and have watched uncompressed 4K media from a memory stick and believe me you can see the difference between 1080p and 4K.

Also if You watch 4K gameplay from a high end pc on a 22inch 4K monitor you can see a big difference in detail between 4K and 1080p still.

No it isn't and i have the actual figures to prove it, based not only on the technology, but on the characteristics of the human eye - but you wouldn't believe it because you're in the mindset of a 'true believer' on this.
I have watched them way back, side by side with an open mind - and you cannot discern any noticeable difference.

You ever heard the line "We see what we want to see and disregard the rest"?

Nver read anyone saying those things about 1080p.

Told you the bare facts, if you choose not to believe and be sucked into the hype you're choice mate.

4 k just isn't going anywhere, period.

No it isn't and i have the actual figures to prove it, based not only on the technology, but on the characteristics of the human eye - but you wouldn't believe it because you're in the mindset of a 'true believer' on this.
I have watched them way back, side by side with an open mind - and you cannot discern any noticeable difference.

You ever heard the line "We see what we want to see and disregard the rest"?

Nver read anyone saying those things about 1080p.

Told you the bare facts, if you choose not to believe and be sucked into the hype you're choice mate.

4 k just isn't going anywhere, period.

Im a true believer because i can see the difference sitting in front of me in my living room, its got nothing to do with a placebo effect, do you even own a 4KTV or monitor? Im guessing not, im guessing your "facts" are based on comparing instore.

You ever thought that maybe its just you that just cant see the difference?

2016 will be the year of 4K, by years end there will be decent 4K content (Bluray, more Netflix 4K content, SkyQ).

ill see you then ;)

So instead of an unsteady stream that fluctuates between 480p and 1080p during viewing,
You can have an unsteady stream that fluctuates between 480p and 4K during viewing?
Netflix doesn't have the bandwidth for its existing worlwide customers at 1080p, so why would they all of a sudden have magically aquired the bandwidth for 4k customers when they can't accomodate a steady 1080p stream?

So instead of an unsteady stream that fluctuates between 480p and 1080p during viewing,
You can have an unsteady stream that fluctuates between 480p and 4K during viewing?
Netflix doesn't have the bandwidth for its existing worlwide customers at 1080p, so why would they all of a sudden have magically aquired the bandwidth for 4k customers when they can't accomodate a steady 1080p stream?

Exactly!!!

You know mate, I keep trying to tell them these simple facts - but the 'true believers' are so wound up in the hype they can't see wood for trees.

Facts are facts, not internet bs, whether it is what the human eye is capable of actually seeing, or whether it is the tachnical facts, down to the lack of bandwidth worldwide on the internet, and in terrestrial/satellite broadcasting.

Bottom line is 4k is, as I've said before the best example of a living dead medium - take up is poor in real terms, broadcast tv (which is crucial to its success), is impossible, and will remain so for at least 20/25 years due to lack of interest in investing many billions for a format which they view as unnecesary/unwanted, not to mention the progress of technology is such that it wil be totally dead in perhaps 2 to 3 years.

Also, we should not foget that DVD, which was supposed to be ousted by Blu Ray is still going very strong, and a good number of titles, especially in the far east never make it to Blu Ray let lone 4k!

Reactions: C.C. 95
[QUOTE="thewoe, post: 1595504, member: 8312"1. ]Im a true believer because i can see the difference sitting in front of me in my living room, its got nothing to do with a placebo effect, 2. do you even own a 4KTV or monitor? Im guessing not,3. im guessing your "facts" are based on comparing instore.

4. You ever thought that maybe its just you that just cant see the difference?

5. 2016 will be the year of 4K, by years end there will be decent 4K content (Bluray, more Netflix 4K content, SkyQ).

ill see you then ;)[/QUOTE]

1. Nonsense!

2. I don't need to own a 4k TV or monitor t to know the tuth; nor does anyone else!

3. I don't compare anything 'instore' I'm not a bloody amateur!

4. You're the one fighting a rearguard action in defending the undefendable !

5. 2016 will NOT be the year of 4k, nor will 2017, 2018, 2019 et al . . .

4K = Living dead medium,, totally dead in 2 to 3years as things stand currently. wake up and smell the flowers man.

Or as Supertramp would put it "Dreamer, you silly little dreamer . . . "

1. Nonsense!

2. I don't need to own a 4k TV or monitor t to know the tuth; nor does anyone else!

3. I don't compare anything 'instore' I'm not a bloody amateur!

4. You're the one fighting a rearguard action in defending the undefendable !

5. 2016 will NOT be the year of 4k, nor will 2017, 2018, 2019 et al . . .

4K = Living dead medium,, totally dead in 2 to 3years as things stand currently. wake up and smell the flowers man.

Or as Supertramp would put it "Dreamer, you silly little dreamer . . . "

Clearly we are on different pages here, so i think we should agree to disagree ;)

Merry Christmas :)

As a lover of tech and always more knowledgeable than my friends in this outside world there is one thing that has happened this go-round that hasn't happened before. My friends are getting 4k TVs before me. So I will say the drop in prices has or will give it somewhat of a fighting chance.

I'm not all too concerned about 4k for streaming purposes as internet speeds and lack of quality content I care about will most likely make me not care about anyhow. I'm more excited to see what Ultra HD Blu-ray brings to the table. Its already confirmed the format is region free. (bout damn time) Not that I'm saying that makes it some saving grace for disc format or some resurgence, but it definitely helps "our world" of folks who still care for the disc with high regard.

The thing I'm more interested to see is not only is Ultra HD Blu-ray just 4k on a disc they are really touting the extra technology but I guess by this it won't even be there from the get-go .... will come later.

"It's also going to offer future support for high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate (HFR) content when those standards are finalised too.

Considering HDR alone will add another 20% extra on top of the demands for 4K streaming Ultra HD Blu-rays could well be most people's best chance at getting the next generation of image quality, consistently, in their homes."

Granted all that aside it's not like 4k is leaps and bounds better then just 1080p Blu-ray. Hence why I haven't been rushed into buying a 4k tv. I have 70" 240hrz cinema 3d tv that has an amazing picture and experience .... so I need the prices of 4k to come down to the point that I feel comfortable buying a tv that size and magnitude to best that TV I got as that is when I will push that TV out and most likely have it in my "Man cave" area. So until I'm ready I doubt I will have 4k soon. That or just replace our living room tv at the time of Ultra HD Blu-ray release if I really wanna be an early adopter. Least then I could go smaller on TV size. ie. 50-60"

Reactions: thewoe
As a lover of tech and always more knowledgeable than my friends in this outside world there is one thing that has happened this go-round that hasn't happened before. My friends are getting 4k TVs before me. So I will say the drop in prices has or will give it somewhat of a fighting chance.

I'm not all too concerned about 4k for streaming purposes as internet speeds and lack of quality content I care about will most likely make me not care about anyhow. I'm more excited to see what Ultra HD Blu-ray brings to the table. Its already confirmed the format is region free. (bout damn time) Not that I'm saying that makes it some saving grace for disc format or some resurgence, but it definitely helps "our world" of folks who still care for the disc with high regard.

The thing I'm more interested to see is not only is Ultra HD Blu-ray just 4k on a disc they are really touting the extra technology but I guess by this it won't even be there from the get-go .... will come later.

"It's also going to offer future support for high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate (HFR) content when those standards are finalised too.

Considering HDR alone will add another 20% extra on top of the demands for 4K streaming Ultra HD Blu-rays could well be most people's best chance at getting the next generation of image quality, consistently, in their homes."

Granted all that aside it's not like 4k is leaps and bounds better then just 1080p Blu-ray. Hence why I haven't been rushed into buying a 4k tv. I have 70" 240hrz cinema 3d tv that has an amazing picture and experience .... so I need the prices of 4k to come down to the point that I feel comfortable buying a tv that size and magnitude to best that TV I got as that is when I will push that TV out and most likely have it in my "Man cave" area. So until I'm ready I doubt I will have 4k soon. That or just replace our living room tv at the time of Ultra HD Blu-ray release if I really wanna be an early adopter. Least then I could go smaller on TV size. ie. 50-60"

The great thing is also UHD Bluray will feature 4K and 4K HDR on the disc so people like me without a HDR set will still get to enjoy the future of 4K :)

Reactions: Wreck