Official MMA Thread!

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Yes, I think it's about time I start this! :scat: Place all info relating to MMA in this thread!

UFCLogo.jpg

wec_logo_3.jpg

strikeforce_logo15.gif

Last edited:
I read on the internet that he(McGregor) was demanding £10M for his next fight which he was refused so he decided to pull out of any promotional/media events.

Whether that is true or not @Flash who knows.

I think that is probably untrue as I just read he's only made just over £2m from all his fights since 2013 it's been the sponsorships and everything outwith actually fighting that has made him the money so I highly doubt he was asking so much, silly if he was.

It's actually funny he is refusing to do press, a very Diaz thing to do both brothers did similar in the past. They had no interest in that side of it, because of that they didn't get the press and credit of how good they are actually were hence why I feel Mcgergor grossly underestimated him.

Thinking about it, I was wondering if he may be also affected by his friend Carvahlo's recent shocking death after his MMA fight in Ireland.

Reactions: EdNorton
@EdNorton

I was just watching UFC fight Night Dublin from few years ago and watching the behind the scenes part the effort and concentration that Mcgregor showed in that I think over the years has slightly been lost. The more fights and the increased fame I think it may have slightly affected him and particularly that Diaz fight he didn't have that same humble attitude, focus on training. Maybe a break will allow him to regain some of that. It's a real shame as he was an incredibly entertaining and talented fighter. I've been a huge fan of his for a long time and it would be very sad if he doesn't fight again

Last edited:
Reactions: EdNorton
I think watching a guy die from a fight recently was it. He doesn't need any more cash. (Neither does Nate Diaz).
It's too bad for the fans, though. I don't follow fighting- but I did when Connor was fighting. Loved the guy's whole attitude. But I can't fault him from wanting to walk away healthy. But he was (for me) the most exciting guy in ANY sport at this time (sorry Steph Curry).

@EdNorton

I was just watching UFC fight Night Dublin from few years ago and watching the behind the scenes part the effort and concentration that Mcgregor showed in that I think over the years has slightly been lost. The more fights and the increased fame I think it may have slightly affected him and particularly that Diaz fight he didn't have that same humble attitude, focus on training. Maybe a break will allow him to regain some of that. It's a real shame as he was an incredibly entertaining and talented fighter. I've been a huge fan of his for a long time and it would be very sad if he doesn't fight again

Yeah I have no doubt @Flash thar his attitude and desire has probably changed....he would have been probably more hungry and dedicated back then that what he is now....it may be all a bit of throwing the dummy out of the pram,time will tell and like you,I hope he continues on.

I think watching a guy die from a fight recently was it. He doesn't need any more cash. (Neither does Nate Diaz).
It's too bad for the fans, though. I don't follow fighting- but I did when Connor was fighting. Loved the guy's whole attitude. But I can't fault him from wanting to walk away healthy. But he was (for me) the most exciting guy in ANY sport at this time (sorry Steph Curry).

Cash is king,he mightn't need it per say but who turns down the opportunity to make what they can?espeically in a job wher longevity is quite poor.

Yeah I have no doubt @Flash thar his attitude and desire has probably changed....he would have been probably more hungry and dedicated back then that what he is now....it may be all a bit of throwing the dummy out of the pram,time will tell and like you,I hope he continues on.

Cash is king,he mightn't need it per say but who turns down the opportunity to make what they can?espeically in a job wher longevity is quite poor.
He has more money than his kids could spend in their lifetime after he is gone.
Plenty of athletes are getting out once they have enough money, because you can't buy back your health or your life. There is more to life than money.

He has more money than his kids could spend in their lifetime after he is gone.
Plenty of athletes are getting out once they have enough money, because you can't buy back your health or your life. There is more to life than money.

Of course but to maintain the lifestyle they have come accustomed to then more wealth is welcomed when an opportunity arrives.

Yes some do retire but there are plenty who are willing to fight on in search of that last big pay day.

Of course but to maintain the lifestyle they have come accustomed to then more wealth is welcomed when an opportunity arrives.

Yes some do retire but there are plenty who are willing to fight on in search of that last big pay day.
Connor was a penniless plumber just a few years ago. I think he is more accustomed to being poor than being rich.
He's only been rich for .5% of his existence. Sometimes getting out when you are ahead is the way to win, and going for more dough is sometimes the way you lose.

Connor was a penniless plumber just a few years ago. I think he is more accustomed to being poor than being rich.
He's only been rich for .5% of his existence. Sometimes getting out when you are ahead is the way to win, and going for more dough is sometimes the way you lose.

What does that matter?....alot of sports people come from working class backgrounds,doesn't stop them wanting to make every last buck they can.

I would still be surprised if he doesn't return....this seems to be down to a power struggle with Dana White and the UFC.

If he does return,I'm guessing part of the reason is because of the money.

Last edited:
What does that matter?....alot of sports people come from working class backgrounds,doesn't stop them wanting to make every last buck they can.

I would still be surprised if he doesn't return....this seems to be down to a power struggle with Dana White and the UFC.

If he does return,I'm guessing part of the reason is because of the money.
He doesn't seem like the kinda guy that does that kind of manipulation. But, we shall see...
Anyway it goes- it sucks to be Dana White right now...
BTW-
image.jpeg
???????:p

Last edited:
Turns out he was working Dana White.
Hope he plays it right, and doesn't overplay his hand. As much as I dig him, I hope he knows he needs UFC more than it needs him. But, this is a legitimate tactic. And UFC should pay him.

I said it seemed to be a power struggle.....around money!

No one is bigger than the sport....the truth is they both need each other so let's hope all is well and they move on.

I am not sure it's about money I think as I said his ego has been dealt a heavy blow and he went in a wee huff, but the truth is if anyone who is a fan of UFC and have been one as long as me. Dana is a great PR twister and it wouldn't surprise me if he told Mcgregor to do all of this and it's worked a treat. Everyone was talking about this not just UFC, even WWE having a wee cheeky tweet about it.

Behind closed doors the whole thing had probably been PR perfection.

Some people might not have been interested in this as Diaz did easily beat Mcgregor but by all this press, it hypes the fight again and got people talking.

It's not like he's the only one, the Diaz brothers are well known for refusing to do media and were allowed to do so a few times.

I wouldn't have been surprised had the fight not happened as I am not sure what McGregor can do to beat Diaz as his confidence has clearly been affected.

We shall see as I said I would have chosen opponents a bit better and get some good victories and build back confidence. By fighting Diaz again he's going to have be a lot better or again it's all a fix and McGregor will win and rebuild all his hype. We shall see...

It's all a bit much, McGregor is saying it's on and UFC are saying it's not, getting a bit boring now :(

Last edited:
I think it was but then McGregor is not the type to be used a puppet and I think it's got bit drawn out now