Oz: The Great and Powerful - In Theaters March 8, 2013

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Oz the Great and Powerful

Tagline: In Oz, nothing is what it seems.

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Family

Director: Sam Raimi

Cast: James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams, Zach Braff, Bill Cobbs, Joey King, Tony Cox, Stephen R. Hart, Abigail Spencer, Bruce Campbell, Ted Raimi, Tim Holmes, Toni Wynne, Rob Crites, William Dick, Gene Jones, John Lord Booth III, Suzanne Keilly, Shannon Murray, Ralph Lister, John Manfredi, Robert Stromberg, Channing Pierce, Brian Searle, Russell Bobbitt, Julie Gershenson, Dan Nelson, T.J. Jagodowski, John Paxton, Melissa Exelberth, Steve Forbes, Arnold Agee, Deborah Puette, Julius Kline III, Theresa Tilly, Betsy Baker, Ellen Sandweiss, Bella Shepard, Sasha Kida Reynolds, Ja'Vonne Cousins, Victoria Lurz, Dashiell Raimi, Oliver Raimi, Brandon Hamilton, Stevie Lee, Martin Klebba, Danielle Ragland, Bart McCarthy, Timothy Patrick Quill, Nicholas Lindsay-Abaire, Bill E. Rogers, Dan Hicks, Mia Serafino, Lanika Wise, Mikayla Bouchard, Nellie Ann Prestine-Lowery, Emma Raimi, Jayne Violassi, Jay Schwalm, Wendy Cutler, James Bird, Kenneth D. Ciszewski, Chester F. Guilmet, Robert Buck, Jim Moll, Phillip Huber, Bernie Allemon, Dan Cota, Dale Drew, Spencer Frost, Jon Overgaauw, Eduardo Piedra, Eric Potts, Jordan Rafael, Adam Romano, David Spradlin, Mani Love, Michael Witous, Christophe Zajac-Denek, Chidi Ajufo, Talia Akiva, Apollo Bacala, Kelly Bacon, Cameron Barnett, Robert T. Barrett, Colin Bryant, Ron Causey, Grady Chambless, Lee Christian, Michael Clossin, Neil Ellice, John C. Epperson, Mike Estes, Jessee Foudray, Logan Fry, Nesti Gee, Derrick Gilliam, Ryan Groves, Brice Harris, Niki Haze, Ron Heisler, Dennis Kleinsmith, Doug Kolbicz, Kef Lee, Davy J. Marr, Julia Metas, Bob Jay Mills, Reza Mir, Jessica Nichole, Jor él Quinn, Gene Richards, Ari Rufino, Keith Schloemp, David Schwager, Ashley Siloac, Amy Sutherland, Eric Adam Swenson, Kevin Thompson, David Waldman, Filip Watermann, Matt Weinglass, Otis Winston

Release: 2013-03-07

Runtime: 130

Plot: Oscar Diggs, a small-time circus illusionist and con-artist, is whisked from Kansas to the Land of Oz where the inhabitants assume he's the great wizard of prophecy, there to save Oz from the clutches of evil.

Hollywood, CA – MGM and Sony Pictures made a surprise announcement today, saying that a remake of the nearly seventy year old classic was in the works and is on track to coincide with the original film’s anniversary next year.

the wizard of oz cast“MGM is proud to announce that we are deep into production on a remake of one of the most beloved film stories of all time. The Wizard of Oz is classic that generations have grown up on, and we feel that this is the right time to explore a new version so that all future generations will have a classic to grow up with,” said the company in a statement.

While no details were released, the company did say that the story would be updated to reflect a modern philosophy, eliminating the hope and wonder that the classic embodied “We live in different time than they did then. We live in a time of economic uncertainty and war, things they simply didn’t have to deal with in 1939. The new film will reflect our times while still speaking with the voice the original sang so beautifully with.”

Rumours about the supposed plot line has Dorothy propelled into the future by another unfortunate Tornado and dropped into modern day Kansas or possibly Iraq. ‘Taxi Driver’ scribe Paul Schrader has been tapped to write the screenplay; no director has yet been announced.

Rumours have already begun to swirl as to who will play Dorothy, with names such as Natalie Portman, Zooey Deschanel, Selma Blair, and Ellen Page topping the list.

“Deschanel isn’t famous enough, and Portman is a little too ethnic. Page would give that kind of hard edge they seem to be looking for, especially with Schrader scripting. I can see that as a real possibility,” said Scrape TV Entertainment analyst Tracey Temple. “It’ll be interesting to see who they get for the supporting roles. Willem Dafoe as the Tin Man? Deniro as The Cowardly Lion”the wizard of oz new cast

This of course will not be the first remake of the film, 1978’s ‘The Wiz’ was the first remake of the classic. MGM promises that the newest version will differ from that rendition as well.

“We’re not going to have any of that singing and dancing stuff. Some musicals have done well recently but we’re seeing this as a far more accessible film. We want as broad an appeal as possible and a musical just won’t allow for that.”

When reached for comment, screenwriter Schrader was mired in misery and self loathing and offered no comment. The film if scheduled for a Christmas 2009 release.

Not sure if it was posted before, but here it is.

I read somewhere that Todd McFarlane was even considered at some point to direct a new version of Wizard of Oz!

Now that would have been an even worst idea!! :hilarious:

It's been confirmed that Robert Downey Jr. has pulled out from taking the lead role in Disney's Wizard of Oz prequel project, Oz, the Great and Powerful. Now, the studio is in negotiations to get Johnny to step into the role - but it may cost them.

We're hearing this Oz project is a top priority for the Disney folks and they've been hoping to start production on the flick by the second half of the year. The script is all finished and director Sam Raimi is ready to lead on, but the decision to offer Johnny the part is a tricky one.

The timing is a little regrettable, especially for those who have been waiting for him to finally make The Lone Ranger flick. Right now, Johnny is scheduled to begin shooting Dark Shadows for Warner Bros. this spring. He's also attached to star as Tonto in The Lone Ranger, which has no start date just yet. If he commits to starring in Oz after shooting Dark Shadows, that means Ranger gets pushed back. That puts the rest of the talent in jeopardy.

Who Will Be The Wicked Witch Of The East In Oz: The Great And Powerful?

Sam Raimi is apparently at odds with Disney producers over the casting of the Wicked Witch of the East in his upcoming production of Oz: The Great and Powerful starring James Franco in the title role, as the former is determined to secure Hilary Swank and the studio wants Michelle Williams!

Meanwhile, Mila Kunis is widely expected to take the part of the Wicked Witch of the West!

i Thought i would kick off a thread for the new Sam Raimi movie:

Preliminary synopsis:
A prequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz that tells how the Wizard arrived in Oz became the ruler.
ozthegreatandpowerfulpo.jpg

Trailer:

Old discussion:
Oz, the Great and Powerful

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this could be very interesting. Witches and Oz, flying monkeys, and that poster's pretty cool. We never did get to see much of the Wicked Witch of the East, with the house landing on her and all.

Was very surprised when my fiancé said to me she wants to watch this.... looks like I know what we'll be watching next weekend ;)

Watched this one today, 2D only. Really solid effort from Raimi and everyone involved. I wasn't too convinced about Franco towards the start, but his character grew on me. In fact, I ended up liking this a lot more that I thought I would. Many will no doubt compare it with Burtons "Alice in Wonderland", but "Oz" is easily the superior film.

I'm now really hoping they follow it up with a 'Wizard' remake. ;)

Reactions: Jason Bourne
I didn't enjoy Burton's Wonderland, feels so by the numbers these days which is a shame for a genuinely inventive director.

The teen wants to see Oz so will catch it this weekend. Being Raimi, I assume it's quite playful?

Well back from an IMAX screening this evening, and I really enjoyed this.

Very playful as I expected, and James Franco is perfect for the role as a con-man/magician.

Works as an enjoyable tale and a prequel to The Wizard of Oz. Visuals were great, 3D pretty well utilized as well.

Then, of course, there is Mila Kunis in leather trousers and kitten point high heels, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams. So the chances of getting bored were slim anyway.

And one surprising character that just tugs at the heart-strings.

Loved it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database