Upcoming Pacific Rim: The Black (Season 2) [Netflix]

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
Netflix is looking to expand its global content while also expanding the worlds of two popular sci-fi stories.

At its first ever content showcase in Asia, the streaming giant announced plans for five anime series, two Thai language originals and one Chinese language original. Of the five anime titles announced, two are based on established science fiction titles, with the hopes of expanding the worlds previously introduced in both: Pacific Rim and Altered Carbon. The move comes as Netflix is seeking to further its investment in Asian stories and storytellers.

While the initial Pacific Rim failed to take off at the box office domestically, the film proved to be a successful overseas, ultimately leading to a sequel with this year's Pacific Rim: Uprising. Unfortunately, it failed to achieve the same success as its predecessor and seemed to kill off any possible future for the franchise. However, the forthcoming Pacific Rim anime for Netflix will expand upon the story that began with the two live-action films.

This iteration will follow two siblings, described as "an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister," who pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in search of their missing parents.Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution) will serve as showrunners, with the series produced by Legendary Entertainment.

As for Altered Carbon, which is in production on Season 2 of the live-action series, the anime will exist within the same universe and is set to explore new elements of the story's mythology. Produced by Anima, the anime series will be written by Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo.

"The beauty of Netflix is that we can take never-seen before stories from South Korea, Thailand, Japan, India, Taiwan or elsewhere, and easily connect them to people all over Asia and the world," Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said in a statement. "More than half of Asian content hours viewed on Netflix this year are viewed outside the region, so we have confidence that our upcoming slate of Asian productions will find fans in their home countries and abroad."

Both Pacific Rim and Altered Carbon are expected to debut their animes on Netflix in Asia sometime in 2019.

From CBR

Attachments

• pacific-rim-uprising-2018-review-1-300x300.jpg
    pacific-rim-uprising-2018-review-1-300x300.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Thanks
Reactions: kaw
So no live-action sequel? :rolleyes: That sucks! I'll see it if it gets released here in the States, just want some closure with the way they ended things in Uprising.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
So no live-action sequel? :rolleyes: That sucks! I'll see it if it gets released here in the States, just want some closure with the way they ended things in Uprising.

I hate that Uprising pulled an Independence Day: Resurgence and ended on a cliffhanger where we'll never see the conclusion. :(

Pacific Rim: The Black is Netflix’s upcoming animated series based on the Guillermo Del Toro movie.
As Kaiju rising from the sea overrun Australia, two siblings search for their parents as they fight to survive, together.
Premieres March 4, 2021 only on Netflix.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 11.16.05 PM.png

Hey, I'll take my Pacific Rim any way I can get it! March is turning out to be an amazing month. Pacific Rim: Black, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Invincible: The Animated Series, and Godzilla vs. Kong!

@IRON MAN

It's the first time I've seen the trailer. I quite like the aesthetic and I hope it doesn't go too far down the Super Sentai route and keeps it "grounded" (if that's the right word) in the world of Pacific Rim with it's weighty, slow-moving mechs and monsters.