Pi-hole (Raspberry Pi)

Lone Crusader

The Savage Ninja!
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
Does anyone here use Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi? Wanted to get others input because I'm considering buying a Raspberry Pi and running Pi-hole on it to knock all ads across my network for the exception of this one as I usually let the ads roll. There's a lot of Raspberry Pi's out there which one is recommended?

N9Eg5TQw.jpg

Personally I think it stupid to block any ads at websites as its very hard for any websites that are not an ecommerce sites, or named facebook, twitter, google etc. (social media) to stay alive without ads.
Social media is great, but its also killing off tons of valuable information sites etc. If you think the site has too much ads, then it should be told to the website owners if one cares, or simply dont visit it. That's my take anyhow , obviously I might be bias and more understandable due to having a behind the scenes look that many do not.

Had no clue pi did such a thing, have one in my modded arcade 1 up.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Personally I think it stupid to block any ads at websites as its very hard for any websites that are not an ecommerce sites, or named facebook, twitter, google etc. (social media) to stay alive without ads.
Social media is great, but its also killing off tons of valuable information sites etc. If you think the site has too much ads, then it should be told to the website owners if one cares, or simply dont visit it. That's my take anyhow , obviously I might be bias and more understandable due to having a behind the scenes look that many do not.

Had no clue pi did such a thing, have one in my modded arcade 1 up.
Well, I feel a little different, I visit a lot of news sites and every time I visit them it makes the browser bogged down and sluggish and it skips the webpage as well as if it catches on something. I can't run an ad blocker on them because then the blaring popup comes up and says to turn off my ad blocker and won't let me browse unless I do. The only way around it is to use either a DNS server that blocks ads or use what everybody on Reddit has been raving about, Pi-Hole which runs on an OS that runs on a Raspberry-Pi. LA Times, NY Times and Forbes are riddled with ads that seriously degrade the performance of browsing on them. I don't use an ad blocker here because I understand that the ads need to run to generate revenue. I have my mother that lives with me and she complains about ads in her iPad and iPhone browsers and in her games and asked if I could do anything so that's why I sought out any information concerning blocking ads. Anyways I understand where you're coming from. :)

Well, I feel a little different, I visit a lot of news sites and every time I visit them it makes the browser bogged down and sluggish and it skips the webpage as well as if it catches on something. I can't run an ad blocker on them because then the blaring popup comes up and says to turn off my ad blocker and won't let me browse unless I do. The only way around it is to use either a DNS server that blocks ads or use what everybody on Reddit has been raving about, Pi-Hole which runs on an OS that runs on a Raspberry-Pi. LA Times, NY Times and Forbes are riddled with ads that seriously degrade the performance of browsing on them. I don't use an ad blocker here because I understand that the ads need to run to generate revenue. I have my mother that lives with me and she complains about ads in her iPad and iPhone browsers and in her games and asked if I could do anything so that's why I sought out any information concerning blocking ads. Anyways I understand where you're coming from. :)
most my news comes from iphone or espn ... ha. so i guess i dont have that problem as much.

Reactions: Lone Crusader