Pirates of The Caribbean 1-5 Film Collection (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBooks) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: April 10, 2023 - May 8, 2023
Purchase link: Zavvi - HMV - Amazon UK
Price: £99.99 (Zavvi - Amazon) - £89.99 (HMV)
Notes: Was previously a Zavvi exclusive

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 17.30.45 Large.jpeg Pirates of the caribbean Box Set.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To anyone who has received theirs, are the 4K transfers as bad as the first one?
No, they're all better than the 1st. The PQ on 2&3 is essentially the same as the blu though, but the atmos isn't up to the PCM tracks. 4, the PQ is better than the blu, and the atmos is very similar to the blu. 5 looks the best, but the atmos is sh!t. Pails in comparison to the blu. Only 1 I suggest watching in 4K is 4.

No, they're all better than the 1st. The PQ on 2&3 is essentially the same as the blu though, but the atmos isn't up to the PCM tracks. 4, the PQ is better than the blu, and the atmos is very similar to the blu. 5 looks the best, but the atmos is sh!t. Pails in comparison to the blu. Only 1 I suggest watching in 4K is 4.
Thanks Sam you've just saved me some money :thumbs:

Reactions: samdavies
After booting the first one up and switching between the Blu-ray & 4K I'm at odds with it.
I can see the extra detail over the 1080p Blu-ray but it's completely ruined DNR.
in still moments the details reveal to be a step up but as soon as it moves it all smears due to the DNR.
But Dead Man's Chest doesn't have this DNR and there is a slight noticeable uptick in clarity.
There is definitely an improvement here and I assume the same can be said for At Words End (which I haven't got to viewing yet, but you said it the same so)
On Stranger Tides & Dead Men Tell No Tales was shot digitally too so they will look different to the previous entries with zero grain present.
Problem is the original Blu-ray's already look fantastic already.
I agree if you have the Blues it's not really worthwhile unless you really must have a slightly better picture
Still there no getting away from that DNR in the first film.
But the sequels are definitely an improvement over the Blu-ray's.
The new transfers also have a brown tint
The difference in the the audio though is odd, the mix on the original Blu-ray disc is much more punchier.
And let's not forget the Menus, definitely better on the old Blu-ray.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenny Nero
The first Movie in 4K is simply god awful, It is so insanely dark and drained of any colour for some reason, i had to switch to the blu-ray as the blu-ray is miles and miles better than the 4K. The other movies are not as DNR’d but again they are super Dark with or without HDR or Dolby Vision (Disney+).
These are a complete waste of money if you are buying these to upgrade your blu-rays as the 4K transfer’s are miles worse than the blu-rays, They are a complete downgrade and Curse of the black pearl has got to be the worst 4K transfer i have seen from any 4K disc so far.

These youtube comparisons are spot on the for the differences between the 4K and bluray:

Curse of the Black Pearl:

Dead Man’s Chest:

At Worlds End:

On Stranger Tides:

Last edited:
After booting the first one up and switching between the Blu-ray & 4K I'm at odds with it.
I can see the extra detail over the 1080p Blu-ray but it's completely ruined DNR.
in still moments the details reveal to be a step up but as soon as it moves it all smears due to the DNR.
But Dead Man's Chest doesn't have this DNR and there is a slight noticeable uptick in clarity.
There is definitely an improvement here and I assume the same can be said for At Words End (which I haven't got to viewing yet, but you said it the same so)
On Stranger Tides & Dead Men Tell No Tales was shot digitally too so they will look different to the previous entries with zero grain present.
Problem is the original Blu-ray's already look fantastic already.
I agree if you have the Blues it's not really worthwhile unless you really must have a slightly better picture
Still there no getting away from that DNR in the first film.
But the sequels are definitely an improvement over the Blu-ray's.
The new transfers also have a brown tint
The difference in the the audio though is odd, the mix on the original Blu-ray disc is much more punchier.
And let's not forget the Menus, definitely better on the old Blu-ray.
Yeah the thing is audio is almost as important to me as picture, I'd say a 60/40 split. I genuinely could barely distinguish any gains between the 4Ks and blus for 2&3. They're so minimal it's barely worth mentioning, but the fact that the audio takes such a hit makes them total non starters for me. I prefer the blus.

Those PCM tracks rock and the atmouse tracks suck a d!ck. That isn't unusual for disney catalogue stuff at all. So many of their DTS 7.1 tracks flaw their atmos remixes. 5 is the same, it lacks near enough any low end engagement, but I already knew that. 4 somehow escapes unscathed, which was surprising.

Reactions: TGO
Yeah the thing is audio is almost as important to me as picture, I'd say a 60/40 split. I genuinely could barely distinguish any gains between the 4Ks and blus for 2&3. They're so minimal it's barely worth mentioning, but the fact that the audio takes such a hit makes them total non starters for me. I prefer the blus.

Those PCM tracks rock and the atmouse tracks suck a d!ck. That isn't unusual for disney catalogue stuff at all. So many of their DTS 7.1 tracks flaw their atmos remixes. 5 is the same, it lacks near enough any low end engagement, but I already knew that. 4 somehow escapes unscathed, which was surprising.
Agreed, I've always preferred DTS over DD since hearing the difference on The Mummy back on DVD. :shipped:
And when lossless came around with Blu-ray the difference just for bigger.
it's just a shame they didn't include the DTS MA 7.1 in the 4K releases because the difference is night and day.
you instantly can tell the difference.

Just listen Atmos on Wakanda Forever from Black Panther. Another masterpiece of audio from Disney. :mooning: :mooning::mooning: For some time i couldn't figure sh*t why it's not even close to punchy.
As sam said, i also bought this set just cause of steels for 4 and 5th movie. Not watching this sh*t in 4K. BR along DTS HD-MA will do just fine. :headphone:

The first Movie in 4K is simply god awful, It is so insanely dark and drained of any colour for some reason, i had to switch to the blu-ray as the blu-ray is miles and miles better than the 4K. The other movies are not as DNR’d but again they are super Dark with or without HDR or Dolby Vision (Disney+).
These are a complete waste of money if you are buying these to upgrade your blu-rays as the 4K transfer’s are miles worse than the blu-rays, They are a complete downgrade and Curse of the black pearl has got to be the worst 4K transfer i have seen from any 4K disc so far.

These youtube comparisons are spot on the for the differences between the 4K and bluray:

Curse of the Black Pearl:

Dead Man’s Chest:

At Worlds End:

On Stranger Tides:

I don't find any of the comparisons on YouTube to be representative of neither the Blu-ray or 4K
They look worse for both.
I can't take screenshots and still I know it's not also not representative of it either but a crappy photo will have to do to show it's not that dark.
Maybe a HDR to SDR problem there end?

DSC_0175.JPG

Just listen Atmos on Wakanda Forever from Black Panther. Another masterpiece of audio from Disney. :mooning: :mooning::mooning: For some time i couldn't figure sh*t why it's not even close to punchy.
As sam said, i also bought this set just cause of steels for 4 and 5th movie. Not watching this sh*t in 4K. BR along DTS HD-MA will do just fine. :headphone:
Thing is though, with all "new" disney releases since GOTG2, the DTS HD MA 7.1 blu track is no better. They're based on the same source track. Usually the atmos just adds some minor height info, but occasionally they do end up being a bit better.

So with no basis for comparison, you can't really say "it's sh!t compared to X". The atmos tracks for older stuff that they remaster, that's another thing entirely. Those tracks are regularly worse than the older DTS 7.1 mixes. Some match them, few exceed them, but often they're poor atmouse.

Reactions: thewoe and TGO
I don't find any of the comparisons on YouTube to be representative of neither the Blu-ray or 4K
They look worse for both.
I can't take screenshots and still I know it's not also not representative of it either but a crappy photo will have to do to show it's not that dark.
Maybe a HDR to SDR problem there end?

View attachment 553753

those videos are just a basic jist of what they look like, I have watched the first movie half way through and tested the others and they are super dark and just lifeless of colour and this was on a LG 65 CX OLED. It is well documented on every review site just how bad the potc movie looks on 4K.