Portal Facebook video calling

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/facebo...a-video-calling-white/6301160.p?skuId=6301160

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/facebo...a-video-calling-black/6301158.p?skuId=6301158

6301158_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550
6301160_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought the 10" one for my Mom .... just set it up. Pretty impressive. tested with just using my phone to video call her device. That smart camera is the future. Camera automatically follows you around the room. Got this primarily for video calling but it has a lot of other stuff too.

Bought the 10" one for my Mom .... just set it up. Pretty impressive. tested with just using my phone to video call her device. That smart camera is the future. Camera automatically follows you around the room. Got this primarily for video calling but it has a lot of other stuff too.
So it's like using Facetime or something?

So it's like using Facetime or something?
Its a lot like facetime, which we use a lot , but it has this new AI camera that can follow you around the room up to like 180 degrees. Its really slick. So my mom can do anything in her living room and it just keeps moving the camera with teh person and auto zooms in etc.

it has stuff like spotify , iheart and other apps as well. its voice activated calling using facebook messenger and video so works up to 150 countries etc. It also has built in alexa so thats been useful too. I'm likely going to get the big one for my house.

this was a decent enough review video i saw

due to all the fb privacy crap /bad pr ... they also acknowledged that concern very well imo. easy to turn off mic and camera and also includes a cover up for the ultra paranoid :) nothing is on fb servers and is all local to device.

Its a lot like facetime, which we use a lot , but it has this new AI camera that can follow you around the room up to like 180 degrees. Its really slick. So my mom can do anything in her living room and it just keeps moving the camera with teh person and auto zooms in etc.

it has stuff like spotify , iheart and other apps as well. its voice activated calling using facebook messenger and video so works up to 150 countries etc. It also has built in alexa so thats been useful too. I'm likely going to get the big one for my house.

this was a decent enough review video i saw

due to all the fb privacy crap /bad pr ... they also acknowledged that concern very well imo. easy to turn off mic and camera and also includes a cover up for the ultra paranoid :) nothing is on fb servers and is all local to device.

Huh! That's pretty neat. :)

Huh! That's pretty neat. :)
Yeah. Just went and bought the big one! I dont do much facebook stuff in general but for video calling seemed worth it for my family. Given the situation with my Mom (cancer) just will make communicating better from far away.

• Thanks
Reactions: cooey
Yeah. Just went and bought the big one! I dont do much facebook stuff in general but for video calling seemed worth it for my family. Given the situation with my Mom (cancer) just will make communicating better from far away.
I would consider it for kids but they already Facetime me with their iPad's, would there be a clear advantage getting one of these over Facetime via iPad?

Maybe more so the camera following you around room etc. If you see use for that in you or their set up then yes otherwise facetime may be just fine. Great for those who are active when talking. Esp if kids are little and are playing etc. the viewer can even choose if you want to circle in on one person if others are in the room etc. has filters, and other stuff.

Perhaps in your case facetime is fine, but its definitely some impressive tech. Not sure if its proprietary tech, but if not these smart AI cameras that follow are the future for ipads via some turn on/off function.

my wife is already complaining about how big the big one is. Seems the smaller one 10.2 " is more practical as its bigger then just screen size with base, bevel and built-in speaker factored in. Ha. When Im back home ill see what she is talking about on how big the big one really is and if its practical in our set up. today she will move it over to living room to where its permanent location will be. I think it'll be alright. The smaller one is very nice tho as well. (only one I've now messed with in person)

Reactions: Lone Crusader