Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 6 Votes
Title: Prey

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Action

Director: Dan Trachtenberg

Release: 0000-00-00

Plot: Set 300 years ago in the Comanche Nation, skilled warrior Naru protects her tribe against a highly evolved alien predator.

It was over the top yes. But come on. What else white people were to Native Americans than "monsters" ! Brought booze. european diseases, took their land, riches, killed animals for fun, etc etc ...
They didn’t give them any depth Or motivation other than to be evil. Historically people have been awful to each other the world over. Fighting and war was commonplace among tribes before the arrival of Europeans. Diseases were an inevitability with the ever shrinking world and transatlantic travel. Natives like almost every civilization since the dawn of time fermented alcohol. Animals were harvested for pelts, not just for fun but because it was very profitable. I’m not saying they didn’t do some terrible things but I the best villains in movies are the ones who don’t see themselves as the villains and you understand their motivation. I think they could have added some layers to them, or at the very least have the characters realize their culture differences and not assume their actions were motivated by the worst possible intentions. The movie portrayed them as dirty, grunting idiots, who were just there as cannon fodder for the Predator to kill. You could honestly left their entire portion out of the movie and it wouldn’t have changed much. It’s like the inverse of how natives were portrayed in 50’s-60’s westerns: as one note bloodthirsty savages, which was also wrong. That being said I still enjoyed the movie but definitely don’t believe it is above criticism.

It was over the top yes. But come on. What else white people were to Native Americans than "monsters" ! Brought booze. european diseases, took their land, riches, killed animals for fun, etc etc ...
Absolutely, no argument there. But the portayal was ridiculous, in a way where I think the filmmakers thought it might be subtle and clever even though it's not. When I watch a film and can see through the agenda of the filmmakers I automatically lose respect for them - I'm not supposed to completely see through artistic choices when looking at a piece of art, and doing so makes me feel like the filmmakers are dumber than me, and that's not a good thing for a film.

Reactions: Space Cadet
@jcm @Vega

Agree, on your points, yes.

JSM, did you know that white killed buffalo's just because they were important to Indians ? They left them rotting with fur and all. In massive amounts.

Vega how about portrayal of Germans in WW II movies and North Vietnamese in Vietnam war movies. Faceless, brutal, bloodthirsty killers.

If it's any consolation, I did not make my image of French people how they are shown in this film. It's just a sci-fi film. :thumbs:

Reactions: jcm
@jcm @Vega

Vega how about portrayal of Germans in WW II movies and North Vietnamese in Vietnam war movies. Faceless, brutal, bloodthirsty killers.

If it's any consolation, I did not make my image of French people how they are shown in this film. It's just a sci-fi film. :thumbs:
I mean, as a German myself it's always funny to see these portrayals anyway, so yeah :rofl:
That's why I liked Band of Brothers so much, where you get to see those 18 year old kids from both sides being so much alike, just soldiers having to fight a war they have nothing to do with. At one point an american or british soldier says something to the effect of "In another life we could have been best friends", always makes me emotional thinking about that. In the end it's all about accuracy. Since there certainly were many monsters on the side of the Germans in WW2, show it. But it wasn't every single one. And if it were, you would have to realise that these people would have went on to become normal citizens almost disguised as being civilized after the war, which is scary as hell to think about. In some cases that was certainly true and happened, but not with the entire population. Complicated...

But yeah, in the end you're right, it's just a sci fi film :rofl:

@Vega Did not know you were German. I know many of you are not OK with the past. Hey, I'm from Finland - we were actually ... you know ... so.

And I've actually studied pretty much WW II history. Complicated yes ...

Reactions: Vega
Loved this movie!
was hyped after seeing the trailer and the movie lived up to my expectations!

Finally a decent ''Predator'' movie after all these years

Reactions: larson1977
These guys are sometimes offensive and annoying, but I got used to them, and liking their sarcastic humor.

Really interested in this film but don’t have Hulu. Ugh!

Hopefully this gets a physical media release SOMEWHERE.

Just watched this, thought it was ok - better than I thought it would be based on the low budget, general premise and the fact it was a straight to streaming release but not as good as the reactions from others had hyped it up to be. Would probably give it a 6/10

Would be down for a sequel though, the Naru character was one I could get behind and root for and it would be nice to see an actual sequel to a Predator film with the same characters rather than just throwaway references to previous films like what has happened in all the other Predator films
I actually don’t want to see a sequel because I don’t want prey and Narus character ruined but I’d also welcome one lol. If done well

Did anyone notice this in the credits?

After watching it a second time I began to think about the Predator 2 pistol that Naru is left with at the end of the film. Obviously this implies she will at a minimum have another run in with a Predator in which you could probably infer she loses to as predators keep trophies of their kill. As the credits rolled with the cave art recap there was a scene that ended after the ending of the movie in which multiple ships arrived? I guess it kind of leaves it open as a possible plot for a sequel, similarly to the way Predators ended.
Yeah I see that. I watched it because I originally thought they were showing what happens next in animation but then realised it’s a recap with that extra added moment. Me and my mate spoke about this after and we assumed the ships arrived to retrieve the predators body. They wouldn’t go and hunt down the tribe because we know they are honourable to those that can kill their species. So maybe the gun is moved on some other way but I truly don't know how. Then saying that we know from the predator that one was a traitor and considering prey is set 300 years before Predator 1 & 2 that maybe they did get angry and come after the tribe. (As in they aren’t all the same and follow the same rules)
Maybe a time before they made rules on how they hunt and how they respect those that can kill their kind.

That’s the thing, they probably at all times simultaneously have predators visiting other planets In other galaxies to hunt and constantly learn (hence their trophies, weapons, tech, Armour, spicing with other species DNA etc Changing throughout the films) so to me it makes sense that even though they are highly advanced with technology that it’s still a little different to what we see 300 years later.

And if that’s not the case, that their tech was still as powerful as it is in the original film and they did dumb it down before he arrived on Earth in prey because they knew we weren’t as advanced as them so they (in their mind) wanted a fairer fight and Say they only visited earth for the first time again since pre 300 years later when they meet arnie. It makes sense why their tech in that film is much more powerful. Because that predator got abused 300 years before by a tribe with simple weapons.

If what I said makes any sense lol. I dunno, I just like to think about predator lore. What could be and what they are like outside the hunt.

Maybe they did just go back and wipe them out. It’s an easier way to explain the gun I suppose

I was not surprised, but still disappointed by the absolutely ridiculous portayal of the french though. It's like, we got it hollywood. I guess white people in that context nowadays have to be portayed as these semi-retarded, ultra ugly, dirty, grunting monsters.
So what your saying is the portrayal of the french was realistic? Lol joking

Yeah but also, the white man absolutely abused those people and stole their land. Everyone that went over there, the English, Irish, french, Spanish - most of f**king Europe tbh would of been savages. Settlers, fur trappers. So that portrayal is absolutely fine with me. Whether it was french or Spanish or English or whoever it was, was probably very realistic.

For the film i get why they chose non English speaking settlers so that when she hears them they are alien to her. We the audience hear them how she does (providing you don’t talk or understand french lol - I only understood merde :LOL:)

When writing that part they probably just threw a dart at Europe and went with what it landed on. That’s how I would of done it anyway lol fair is fair

So what your saying is the portrayal of the french was realistic? Lol joking

Yeah but also, the white man absolutely abused those people and stole their land. Everyone that went over there, the English, Irish, french, Spanish - most of f**king Europe tbh would of been savages. Settlers, fur trappers. So that portrayal is absolutely fine with me. Whether it was french or Spanish or English or whoever it was, was probably very realistic.

For the film i get why they chose non English speaking settlers so that when she hears them they are alien to her. We the audience hear them how she does (providing you don’t talk or understand french lol - I only understood merde :LOL:)

When writing that part they probably just threw a dart at Europe and went with what it landed on. That’s how I would of done it anyway lol fair is fair
These were the angry white men of the 18th century. Cannot imagine a successful woke culture enforcement in those days... Those were the days
8175e8235f53410c0521c35ec6cbc57f (1) (1).gif

Is there going to be a 4k steelbook on Prey?

I hope someone come up with a 4k steelbook box set with all Predator just like the Matrix deja vu box from zavvi

Oh man never have my hopes been so high and then destroyed in the matter of scrolling to the next post

I loved this film. I’ve watched it 5 times in under a year! Crazy. But I really enjoyed it. (3 of those times were watching it with separate friends though who wanted to also see it)

• Wow
Reactions: MajimaGoro
If this is in reference to the Discfather’s tweet, that was merely wishful thinking.

It's at the bottom of this article.

Finally today, we’re hearing from multiple industry sources now that 20th Century Studios is preparing Dan Trachtenberg’s successful Predator prequel Prey (2022) for release on Blu-ray and... even better... physical 4K Ultra HD! The film has, up to now, been available only via streaming on Hulu here in the States (and via Star on Disney+ internationally). We’ve been quietly tracking this one for a few months, but we’ve heard it now from multiple independent sources, so we’re confident that it’s legit. As soon as we have firmer or official details, rest assured we’ll let you know. But it would certainly be very welcome news indeed.