Question for the home theater audio experts here

I LOVE my LG 700 Soundbar + 700 Sub + 700 Wireless Surround Speakers. It looks the nicest with the glass top and all aluminum bodies and have never had a single problem.

my question: I want the new Apple iPad Max overear headphones in blue bc every review raves about the surround sound while watching movies even stating it approximates Dolby Atmos (as mush as could expected from speakers). Not buying these for music.

My concern:
I haven’t seen compatibility listed for my LG or Sony OLEDS or even my Samsung QLED Q90 or my older Samsung SUHD JS9500 which I use for 3D. Doesn’t mention compatibility with my Bose 700 system, SONOS or Yamahama Soundbar set-up.

Am I going to shell out $550 for headphones that won’t work with ANY of my home cinema?

Jeremy

What you’re referring to is Spatial Audio, which indeed is as if a theater-like sound surrounds you.

The AirPods Max should be able to connect to any Bluetooth enabled audio device. However, doing so, you lose some extra features, like Siri and the aforementioned Spatial Audio, as that feature only works with iOS devices i.e. iPhone and iPad (see the link above).

@Shaggy78 As @IRON MAN stated you would lose fidelity over Bluetooth and the reason is because audio over Bluetooth is heavily compressed. In audio devices, the key difference in Bluetooth implementation involves which audio codec they use. A codec (short for “compression/decompression”) is a complex algorithm that processes audio data to make it smaller so it’s easier to send over the Internet or wirelessly from your phone to your headphones. You’ve probably heard of some popular codecs used today, including SBC, AAC, aptX, and MP3. Using a codec is necessary because the less data Bluetooth needs to transmit, the more reliable the connection is—and the less likely your headphones are to lose the signal.

Dolby Atmos is a lossless audio format and no set of headphones that I'm aware of can reproduce that. Even simulated surround doesn't compare to the sheer vastness of Dolby Atmos, even DTS:X can't compare to it and it was created as a direct competitor to Dolby Atmos. If you look at most UHD movies produced now, they most likely support Dolby Atmos and only a fraction support DTS:X. You have to experience the effect of Dolby Atmos all around you not channeled through a set of headphone...it just ain't gonna happen. I would save your money tbph.

I finally got the whole Sonos setup.... Setup now. The bar and sub I received on Thursday and was supposed to get the two One SL surround speakers on Friday but then FedEx was being weird or something and sent me a delivery update scheduled for Saturday, well... when Saturday rolled around they sent me another update saying that it got pushed to Sunday. Today it updated saying it was on the truck for delivery but that it was being delivered Monday. I was like "what the hell is going on?". Well they did deliver it today afterall and finally got it all setup and it said it is capable of Dolby Atmos and I was just like well Ok, I mean what can you expect from a soundbar, sub and a pair of surrounds all wireless via WiFi. Let me tell you, unfrackin'believable!!! I have a complete Definitive Technology / Denon A/V receiver setup in the main room that set me back an easy $8K and Sonos did almost equivalent for $2K. WOW!!!! Let me tell you, if you can afford a Sonos surround setup...do it, you can thank me for it later. :D

Can you link your Sonos set up? And isnt it bluetooth ? so I suppose you are on that train now despite your earlier post? or just simply stating, however still blown away by the sonos bluetooth ?
I finally got the whole Sonos setup.... Setup now. The bar and sub I received on Thursday and was supposed to get the two One SL surround speakers on Friday but then FedEx was being weird or something and sent me a delivery update scheduled for Saturday, well... when Saturday rolled around they sent me another update saying that it got pushed to Sunday. Today it updated saying it was on the truck for delivery but that it was being delivered Monday. I was like "what the hell is going on?". Well they did deliver it today afterall and finally got it all setup and it said it is capable of Dolby Atmos and I was just like well Ok, I mean what can you expect from a soundbar, sub and a pair of surrounds all wireless via WiFi. Let me tell you, unfrackin'believable!!! I have a complete Definitive Technology / Denon A/V receiver setup in the main room that set me back an easy $8K and Sonos did almost equivalent for $2K. WOW!!!! Let me tell you, if you can afford a Sonos surround setup...do it, you can thank me for it later. :D

Can you link your Sonos set up?
I bought them from Sonos themselves. The whole thing consists of an Arc + Gen 3 sub + a pair of One SL's and you can get the set here. After tax your going to be paying over $2K for the setup.
And isnt it bluetooth ?
No, unfortunately there's no Bluetooth, it's all connected via WiFi or ethernet if you choose. Mine are all connected via WiFi and I thought that I'd hear lag but nope none whatsoever. Besides you don't want Bluetooth for your surround setup because Bluetooth can only transmit simple audio nothing remotely close to Dolby Atmos. When you download the Sonos S2 app via the Apple App store and connect to your favorite music service through the app and there's like about 50 different music services to connect to and then play your music to the system via Airplay over WiFi but sorry no Bluetooth. And you'll need an Apple iPhone to setup your Sonos system too no Android last I checked but that might be different now as I had heard rumors that it was in the works to support it.
so I suppose you are on that train now despite your earlier post? or just simply stating,
Well my last soundbar didn't have Dolby Atmos and @zeebeer sorta inspired me to seek out one that did and I researched and then I researched even more about every facet of my current setup (TV) and what I'd need to get Atmos to work with it. Since my TV in my office / game room was made in 2019 then Atmos was pretty much a no go for me but where there's a will there's a way. Thanks to a little device called an Arcana made by a company called HDFury I'm now able to get Atmos to the soundbar and still get Dolby Vision to my TV and also have CEC setup on the TV to communicate with the devices connected to it. Unfortunately the Sonos Arc only has one HDMI port on it that connects to your ARC/eARC port on your TV so then I had to seek out a HDMI switch that can passthrough 4K@60Hz and Dolby Vision and Atmos, needless to say the list is very short which took a lot of research to find. It's here. My devices all connect to the switch which in turn connects to the Arcana which then splits the HDMI because it's a scaler and video will go to the ARC/eARC of your TV and the Audio is split off to go to the Sonos Arc which now allows me to experience Dolby Atmos. You see the way the Sonos Arc was designed was for it to plug into your eARC HDMI port on your TV and all your other devices connect to your TV as well so everything would be going through the TV but Atmos can't pass over through an ARC port it has to be an eARC port and TV's with eARC weren't being produced until 2020 going forward but the Arcana allows me to get around that and it's the only device of it's kind right now, there are no other products on the market that can do what it does. Incidentally the shipping of the Arcana is max 3-days (WOW) especially coming all the way from Taiwan.
All this took a lot of research to uncover and it ultimately paid off.

If your going to buy a Sonos surround system you had better preorder now since there backordered about three weeks at any given time, unless you buy them from Best Buy.

All in all I really wasn't expecting much with a soundbar but I was just floored at the sound it can reproduce, it's astounding what it can do.

Last edited:
I was more keen on this one @Savage Clown
Amazon product

but ... the surround speakers are not wireless they plug into the subs ... which could maybe work in my set up... but idk.

Yeah I looked at that one and almost bought it but then I learned that it only has an ARC port on it not an eARC. The Dolby Atmos will only be Dolby Digital Plus Atmos and not Dolby Atmos True HD. It does also do DTS:X and the Sonos doesn’t do DTS audio that’s the only drawback to the Sonos but I was able to live with that. I believe that the PS5 will take the DTS and bitstream Dolby Digital 5.1.