Rare DVD Steelbooks

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi All, since there are 100's of DVD Steelbooks, I thought we could add a thread for "rare" DVD Steels.

Feel free to chime in:scat:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: sutti69
Withnail and I - 20th Anniversary Edition 3 disc DVD/CD

I think is quite rare; I've not seen one listed anywhere for ages, and never seen any other than the UK edition.

As an aside, it's not the rarest edition of Withnail; that goes to the Amaray dual layer 108 minute DVD version, which also comes with a large Ralph Steadman Withnail poster.

I didnt think DVD steelbooks were sought after. I didnt collect them but did pick up 5 of them at the time of release (all UK editions):
Iron Man
Beowolf
Apocolypto
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls
District 9

They should have made steelbooks for Laser Discs. EEK!

They almost did for the Criterion 4 disc version of Robocop. They in the end went for a metal "looking" box as it would have weighed a ton! I have the Pulp Fiction 4 disc set from them and it's fairly heavy. Dread to think what an actual metal box that size would weigh with 4 large discs and a booklet inside. lol

Reactions: bd251 and bigrob
They almost did for the Criterion 4 disc version of Robocop. They in the end went for a metal "looking" box as it would have weighed a ton! I have the Pulp Fiction 4 disc set from them and it's fairly heavy. Dread to think what an actual metal box that size would weigh with 4 large discs and a booklet inside. lol

Yeah, postage not to cheap for Laserdiscs lol

Bad enough for Steelbooks and multi disc sets these days lol

I have the French Danny the dog uncut dvd steelbook otherwise known as unleashed its realy hard to find now.

Snap, they also released Transporter (uncut version) and Kiss of the dragon as well

I'll try and get my Danny and Transporter steels out for a photo

Yeah, postage not to cheap for Laserdiscs lol

Bad enough for Steelbooks and multi disc sets these days lol

Just to show how much postage from overseas has soared, a few years ago I got a package of 25 Lasers - double boxed each two layer sandwich type, lined in bubblewrap, each Laserdisc generously wrapped in bubblewrap, and it came airmail for $35!

Last I saw they are asking around twenty bucks for a single disc!

Most lavish LD box I've got is probably the Brazil one. Steelbooks would have been quite something though :)

How rare is The Company of Wolves in DVD steel? I've got one of those.

Last edited:
Since there's no thread for it, here's a random question:

Is the UK steel of Silent Hill (the red one) rare at all? I've just looked on eBay and no one seems to be selling it. I've just bought the bluray amaray and I've got to honour my own rule of "Once I've bought the blu, the DVD has gotta go".

Just got a few!! I wanted the great art!! (The Poster Art!!)
There are no acceptable blu steels of the DIE HARD movies (in both art and transfers). And the DARKO tin is embossed awesome!

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: bigrob