Real 4K or Fake 4K ?

asseanontv

Premium Supporter
Apr 13, 2013
Somerset, UK
title2.png

With the new 4K UHD Blu-ray standard the studios are once again charging you for the upgrade, but many are "faking it" by upscaling 2K films into 4K. While it's true that the 4K UHD standard allows for more beneficial features than purely the upgraded resolution, they are still advertised as 4K which is false advertisement.

Here is an updating list to help you separate the real 4K films from the fake ones. Enjoy the movies!

http://4kblurays.com/

I'm a 30 year veteran of "first adopters" with tech. And I can tell you, that waiting is smart with this particular step.*
They still haven't even settled on standards yet! (UHD premium vs. Dolby vision for HDR).
Waiting will allow a few things: prices go down, Standards are set, content is created (available flms), and you get the time to get a glimpse over the horizon before you commit (will 8K supplant 4K sooner rather than later?).
Whether it be 4K or 8K, the real meat in the stew is HDR & Wide color Gamut, and OLED.

*even I have made mistakes as a "first adopter". I chose HD DVD over Blu ray...
Why? Because HD DVD was region free. I really thought that would win! Can't always choose right!
:rofl: (Hey, at least I never bought a ZUNE!:LOL:)

HDR-10 and Dolby Vision are different versions of essentially the same thing. They can coexist together within the same tv. So while they are competing formats, as long as you buy a panel that can utilize both formats, you don't have to be necessarily concerned that you're buying an inferior product. The HD DVD/BluRay format war comparison is different because they could never coexist in the same product. Waiting isn't a bad idea if someone is that concerned about HDR/Dolby Vision but I know LG now offers both in their 4K LED/OLED products. Waiting is good too for OLED because of economies of scale but someone has to get the wheel rolling for that to happen ;)
8k is something completely different. I was in the market for another tv last year. I wasn't going to deprive myself just so I can wait for something that is non definitive at this point.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and C.C. 95
title2.png

With the new 4K UHD Blu-ray standard the studios are once again charging you for the upgrade, but many are "faking it" by upscaling 2K films into 4K. While it's true that the 4K UHD standard allows for more beneficial features than purely the upgraded resolution, they are still advertised as 4K which is false advertisement.

Here is an updating list to help you separate the real 4K films from the fake ones. Enjoy the movies!

http://4kblurays.com/
list is not correct. netter check www.realorfake4k.com ;)

I'm a 30 year veteran of "first adopters" with tech. And I can tell you, that waiting is smart with this particular step.*
They still haven't even settled on standards yet! (UHD premium vs. Dolby vision for HDR).
Waiting will allow a few things: prices go down, Standards are set, content is created (available flms), and you get the time to get a glimpse over the horizon before you commit (will 8K supplant 4K sooner rather than later?).
Whether it be 4K or 8K, the real meat in the stew is HDR & Wide color Gamut, and OLED.

*even I have made mistakes as a "first adopter". I chose HD DVD over Blu ray...
Why? Because HD DVD was region free. I really thought that would win! Can't always choose right!
:rofl: (Hey, at least I never bought a ZUNE!:LOL:)
LOL. WOW! I remember Zune. Never bought one, but i did buy a $30 fake/copy version of Zune back in my school days.
I've never been an early adopter; i've always "adopted" right before the peak. Sometimes, even then things are short lived. So it's ok you chose HDDVD; sometimes even the smartest kid in the class made dumb choices :LOL:. I was always betting on BD. So i was happy when it actually won (thanks to PlayStation of course).

Anyways, the reasons you mentioned above are exactly why i'm holding back even though the prices are dirt cheap now. Plus, there are so many variants being released (it seems like every company has their own name for 4K/HDR) you really have to do a lot of research before you buy AND predict which way the technology will go. They are just slapping so many different things on TV nowadays to confuse the consumer and in hopes of us buying into it.

LOL. WOW! I remember Zune. Never bought one, but i did buy a $30 fake/copy version of Zune back in my school days.
I've never been an early adopter; i've always "adopted" right before the peak. Sometimes, even then things are short lived. So it's ok you chose HDDVD; sometimes even the smartest kid in the class made dumb choices :LOL:. I was always betting on BD. So i was happy when it actually won (thanks to PlayStation of course).

Anyways, the reasons you mentioned above are exactly why i'm holding back even though the prices are dirt cheap now. Plus, there are so many variants being released (it seems like every company has their own name for 4K/HDR) you really have to do a lot of research before you buy AND predict which way the technology will go. They are just slapping so many different things on TV nowadays to confuse the consumer and in hopes of us buying into it.
True. There is a real smorgasbord of options thrown at you.
I am adamant that my next will be OLED. There is no question.
I held back because last year the biggest was 65". And very expensive. And I can't/ won't go smaller than my current 75" LED.
Even if I wasn't adamant about OLED, the non-LG UHD TVs have abandoned 3D. LG OLED will still have that.
I like 3D alot, and I would like to keep it as an option. Plus- the advent of HDR and OLED makes it tailor made for 3D (I wish the studios and Tv manufacturers would realize this).
I am still probably gonna wait for at least another year, but it is fairly certain that an LG OLED is in my future.
But I am in no particular rush. As I said, I am most excited by the deep blacks of OLED and the Wide Color Gamut. The resolution bump, for all the hoopla is simply a minor bump up. (There is a great deal of placebo effect going on here: People claiming to see a major difference when factually they cannot (when their tv size vs. distance from the television makes it mathematically impossible see a difference. The difference can only be seen with large screens, or sitting very close for smaller screens).

True. There is a real smorgasbord of options thrown at you.
I am adamant that my next will be OLED. There is no question.
I held back because last year the biggest was 65". And very expensive. And I can't/ won't go smaller than my current 75" LED.
Even if I wasn't adamant about OLED, the non-LG UHD TVs have abandoned 3D. LG OLED will still have that.
I like 3D alot, and I would like to keep it as an option. Plus- the advent of HDR and OLED makes it tailor made for 3D (I wish the studios and Tv manufacturers would realize this).
I am still probably gonna wait for at least another year, but it is fairly certain that an LG OLED is in my future.
But I am in no particular rush. As I said, I am most excited by the deep blacks of OLED and the Wide Color Gamut. The resolution bump, for all the hoopla is simply a minor bump up. (There is a great deal of placebo effect going on here: People claiming to see a major difference when factually they cannot (when their tv size vs. distance from the television makes it mathematically impossible see a difference. The difference can only be seen with large screens, or sitting very close for smaller screens).
Yep, 3D is also my biggest reason why havent bought 4K. There are certain games i still have to play on 3D and certain movies i like watching in 3D.
Now I didnt know all LG OLEDs will have 3D support. This means, my future might also be LG OLED. I currently have a 70" LED. And no way i'm downgrading. It's gonna be a 75" or bigger :D

Reactions: C.C. 95
77" OLED's are ridiculously priced right now. Something like $20k. Not sure how much they will drop in price in the future but that is way too much.

77" OLED's are ridiculously priced right now. Something like $20k. Not sure how much they will drop in price in the future but that is way too much.
I guess hoping to get a 75" OLEDs for $3K by next christmas is a little too much to ask? :p

My 55" C6 LG OLED Arrived today..... Broken. Replacement arriving tomorrow
Yikes! That must have been...disappointing! (n)